The Ship

ste_167

Website
Visit site
Has anyone tried it? It used to be a mod running on the Source engine, but was released on the Steam system.

I got it last night and it's great fun for a tenner! It's a first person multiplayer game. At the beginning of a round you are assigned a target to kill. Likewise another player is given you to hunt down. Then it's a case of tracking them down on one of six large 1920's ships and finishing him off.

You have to be discreet though as you can't do it in front of other people. You have to follow them and make sure you're alone. To avoid a player just standing in front of a guard until the end of a round (whom you can bribe if it comes to it..) your characters have basic Sims-style tasks such as eating, showering, sleeping etc which ensures that players are always on the move.

The paranoia can be quite great when you notice another character lingering around you as you're sitting down for a meal, or having to navigate a lonely corridor in search of the toilets!

Here's what it's about:
More about it

ste_167 posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:33 AM said:
Has anyone tried it? It used to be a mod running on the Source engine, but was released on the Steam system.

I got it last night and it's great fun for a tenner! It's a first person multiplayer game. At the beginning of a round you are assigned a target to kill. Likewise another player is given you to hunt down. Then it's a case of tracking them down on one of six large 1920's ships and finishing him off.

You have to be discreet though as you can't do it in front of other people. You have to follow them and make sure you're alone. To avoid a player just standing in front of a guard until the end of a round (whom you can bribe if it comes to it..) your characters have basic Sims-style tasks such as eating, showering, sleeping etc which ensures that players are always on the move.

The paranoia can be quite great when you notice another character lingering around you as you're sitting down for a meal, or having to navigate a lonely corridor in search of the toilets!

Here's what it's about:
More about it
This game looks very very interesting, I'm definately going to give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently wanting to get back to play it right now!

It's not perfect by any means and as you play it you'll find yourself thinking 'if only they did this', 'if only they changed that'. For example, the round length isn't long enough to really get into undercover spy mode. It would be nice to spend 10mins trailing a player but, in truth, it's more a case of finding out where they are fast and striking them at the soonest possibility. That's not to say you always do find them quickly!

However, it is *exactly* my type of game (the hours flew past last night), and the more you play it and get used to the style of play, the more you get out of it.

And at the end of the day, it is only about $20 so it's worth you buying it, as I expect you will enjoy it too.

One of the boys at work told me about this game when it was still in development. Then he told me steam had taken over the project and it was going to be released soon.

Can you buy it over the web, is it like one of the downloads in steam?

Yep, download it on Steam. There will be a boxed version later this year with a story mode too but this will be available to download on Steam as an add on.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 28 2006 at 04:45 PM said:
One of the boys at work told me about this game when it was still in development. Then he told me steam had taken over the project and it was going to be released soon.

Can you buy it over the web, is it like one of the downloads in steam?
Kewl, I will have to install steam again on this machine. I have re-formatted since you see.

Since it's through Steam, if I bought the game, would I have to install that festering pile of crap where if I want to just play single player, I have to connect to their server and get their "permission"? Or is the CD just "install and play" type, like most PC games? I don't even mind having the CD in the drive honestly, but the thought that I HAVE to get permission from their server EVERY time I play it really pisses me off. When I pay for something, I should be able to use it any way my computer allows within the confines of the law, without needing to get their "by your leave" bullshit.

Winterkid posted on Aug 7 2006 at 10:13 AM said:
Since it's through Steam, if I bought the game, would I have to install that festering pile of crap where if I want to just play single player, I have to connect to their server and get their "permission"? Or is the CD just "install and play" type, like most PC games? I don't even mind having the CD in the drive honestly, but the thought that I HAVE to get permission from their server EVERY time I play it really pisses me off. When I pay for something, I should be able to use it any way my computer allows within the confines of the law, without needing to get their "by your leave" bullshit.
Errr... no, you don't.
After the initial "this game is a legal copy", you can disconnect Steam and play without a 'net connection.

Personally, I really like Steam. Getting the latest tech. updates automatically for HL2 and CS:S, etc has been great.
If only they're shop supported more than just evil credit cards :(

What if he magically loses his internet connection?
Then an online multiplayer game would be pretty pointless.

I agree with White_Noiz, I really like Steam. It's good knowing that you definitely have the very latest game and not have to think about downloading 60Mb patches. $19.99 for HL2 Episode One, is half the price of a boxed copy from GAME or Gamestation.

ste_167 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 10:33 AM said:
What if he magically loses his internet connection?
Then an online multiplayer game would be pretty pointless.

I agree with White_Noiz, I really like Steam. It's good knowing that you definitely have the very latest game and not have to think about downloading 60Mb patches. $19.99 for HL2 Episode One, is half the price of a boxed copy from GAME or Gamestation.
A dollar mark? But GAME and GameStation are UK only. Do you mean that as the download is priced in dollars that it is cheaper?

My problem is that I don't like the idea of having to connect to them EVERY time I start up the game. If I want to get updates, I'll look for them.

As for the other comment, it wasn't really called for, Sam Fisher. I just don't like the more intrusive ideas behind steam. They want to make sure my copy is legitimate, the game can check if the CD is in the drive, and they can use copy protection or a CD-key.

So when the game is installed and everything is deemed "legit", can I uninstall Steam or will I have to keep it installed as long as I have the game installed?

Winterkid posted on Aug 8 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
My problem is that I don't like the idea of having to connect to them EVERY time I start up the game. If I want to get updates, I'll look for them.

As for the other comment, it wasn't really called for, Sam Fisher. I just don't like the more intrusive ideas behind steam. They want to make sure my copy is legitimate, the game can check if the CD is in the drive, and they can use copy protection or a CD-key.

So when the game is installed and everything is deemed "legit", can I uninstall Steam or will I have to keep it installed as long as I have the game installed?
I did not mean that as offense to you. Just something random I threw on the end.

Winterkid posted on Aug 8 2006 at 09:32 AM said:

You have to keep it installed, but you can run it in "offline" mode.
I've even been to LAN parties and played CS:S and HL:DM without a 'net connection, so you don't lose anything except for the auto. updates and the news.

Back