GP2X The Penguin Must Die!

I don't think this is a thread to discuss linux on the GP2X if it had been you would have just added to one of the many other threads on linux. If it really was a thread about HH you would have anounced it as that.

I actually make my point quite clear you have an agenda.

I know as do you that vice is a darn sight more easy to port using linux, if thats what you wanted, and I suspect will run comfortably on a 266mhz machine with or without linux.

Issues have cropped up; put your posts in those threads. The reality of the situation is GPH have shot themselves in the foot by using linux and not following the GPL, and I suspect you know that. I also suspect you know why they are currently weary of doing so(A clone device and gamepark trying to bring out a device), and only seek to antagonise the situation further you've already shown you don't want linux so why the interest in GPL.

Its bizarre

Oh your not funny on any level.

The PSP doesn't have proper c64 emulation yet? That's weird. I have been playing CCS64 (emulator) on an old 200MHz PC for years - it runs perfect lock step emulation (100%) so even runs those games that hit the hardware directly etc. I wonder why no-one has looked at that yet. Perhaps its not open source...

Yup, CCS64 isn't open source, and VICE is a notorious resource hog not very well suited for handhelds (so I'm told). There's been some effort to create a cut back version of VICE for the PSP though, which is working but without sound and last time I checked not at full speed.

One thing I noticed recently however is that the next version of Frodo is aiming to properly emulate the c64, in the same manner as CCS64 and VICE, although I'm not sure how far along it is yet. So Frodo could turn out to be the best option after all.

Groepaz work on the rendering code for the GP32 version puts Frodo ahead of the other ports of it I *think* (always avoided Frodo), hopefully he'll find some time outside of his notorious PSP hacking to come back and aid the GP2X c64 emulator development ;)

Trivia: Groepaz wrote the first "Hello World" program on PSP ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How would they follow the GPL? Do they need to release their source before their system, even their first final firmware, is released?

yeesh!!

yo ho with shiny brass nobs on!

/fans flames

/leaves forum

/roflmao

I don't think this is a thread to discuss linux on the GP2X if it had been you would have just added to one of the many other threads on linux. If it really was a thread about HH you would have anounced it as that.

I know as do you that vice is a darn sight more easy to port using linux, if thats what you wanted, and I suspect will run comfortably on a 266mhz machine with or without linux.

Issues have cropped up; put your posts in those threads. The reality of the situation is GPH have shot themselves in the foot by using linux and not following the GPL, and I suspect you know that. I also suspect you know why they are currently weary of doing so(A clone device and gamepark trying to bring out a device), and only seek to antagonise the situation further you've already shown you don't want linux so why the interest in GPL.

Its bizarre

Sheesh, you just don't give up hey.

This is a thread about REMOVING or DISABLING Linux on the GP2X to allow developers to fully utilize the hardware. You did say you read my post, so maybe the problem is actually comprehension. Oh yes, I am actually insulting you now.

As I said, HH hadn't even been mentioned before this thread, so how do you expect that I could have made a thread about that when I was asking quite clearly whether something like it was being attempted?

As well, and if you did comprehend what I have been posting you would know because you have obviously chosen to start stalking me, I am a member of other open source communities and have been for some time. GPL affects many other things besides Linux, and I have a right to voice my opinion about this.

Your agenda seems to be character assasination. Well, it's a free forum and you're entitled to behave in whatever manner pleases you.

So have fun with that.

Can we move this to LOL files?

Somebody start a thread on HH

better yet add it to the wiki and put the standards in there too,

for the devs ;)

Its bizarre

Sheesh, you just don't give up hey.

This is a thread about REMOVING or DISABLING Linux on the GP2X to allow developers to fully utilize the hardware. You did say you read my post, so maybe the problem is actually comprehension. Oh yes, I am actually insulting you know.

from what you quote of me "If it really was a thread about HH you would have anounced it as that." LOL LOL LOL I cried when I read what you'd posted. I was wrong you are funny :)

As I said, HH hadn't even been mentioned before this thread, so how do you expect that I could have made a thread about that when I was asking quite clearly whether something like it was being attempted?

"New firmware for the GP2X" maybe we should call it HH
"Lets create something new" firmware that is
"Alternative to Linux" a different approach to accessing hardware
"Suggesting Community Project" Custom firmware for speed
etc etc

As well, and if you did comprehend what I have been posting you would know because you have obviously chosen to start stalking me, I am a member of other open source communities and have been for some time. GPL affects many other things besides Linux, and I have a right to voice my opinion about this. Your agenda seems to be character assasination. Well, it's a free forum and you're entitled to behave in whatever manner pleases you.

stalking, don't flatter yourself, you post the same misguided noncence in three topics, when you should post under topics created for one. Your stuff needs addressing before DaveC starts quoting your stuff as fact, or maybe as a, what was it? "linux zealot" I might be intersted in such topics as:

1) The Penguin Must Die!
2) Linux - What's The Point?
3) Gph != Gpl?

All of which has become a mismash of linux/gph bashing rather than anything to do with the underling issues.

So have fun with that.

:D

This HH mode sounds great but I dont like the idea of choosing between HH mode and linux at bootup. Isnt there some way of using the normal linux menu system (the gp2x firmware) to load an app/game/emu into memory, rebooting into HH mode and running it? I think this seems like a better idea to have one standardized menu throughout the gp2x.

That does sound good in some ways - booting into linux, then if you happen to run a HH application it dumps linux from the memory and runs it instead.

However (judging from the vids) linux has a hell of a long startup period (when compared to, say, gp32) so this might not always be the best option.

From what Ive read I dont think the boot time had been optimised yet. Once optimised it should be only a few seconds. I think its still on the to-do list for a future firmware release

This HH mode sounds great but I dont like the idea of choosing between HH mode and linux at bootup. Isnt there some way of using the normal linux menu system (the gp2x firmware) to load an app/game/emu into memory, rebooting into HH mode and running it? I think this seems like a better idea to have one standardized menu throughout the gp2x.
Solution: write the contents of the RAM out onto the SD card when you want to go into HH mode, then when done with that, load the memory state back in. Simple and very fast, though it will trash the SD card. This is just a direct realisation of that idea; kernel modules or a 'rewritten' linux is a much better idea.

stalking, don't flatter yourself, you post the same misguided noncence in three topics, when you should post under topics created for one. Your stuff needs addressing before DaveC starts quoting your stuff as fact, or maybe as a, what was it? "linux zealot" I might be intersted in such topics as:

1) The Penguin Must Die!
2) Linux - What's The Point?
3) Gph != Gpl?

All of which has become a mismash of linux/gph bashing rather than anything to do with the underling issues.

Ah, you can paint it how you like, I've pointed out that I have the utmost respect for what GPH has achieved, that I'm not Linux bashing (although a lack of comprehension could lead you to stubbornly believing that, because of a few jokey lines about beating a certain penguin to death), and that I am discussing valid points that have much more meaning than this pointless flaming you're amusing yourself with here.

For the record, I didn't start that Linux - What's the Point thread, jeez.

You seemed to be calling a truce to this silliness in another thread, and then you pop back here and start behaving like you should be on a PSP forum. Well, whatever floats your boat man.

I personally like the idea of using a bootloader to choose between HH and Linux.

In the future, there may be many HH apps and having to boot into Linux to launch something which would reset the unit in HH mode would be less convenient.

man .. when you say "Linux", what, exactly, do you mean? coz linux is just a kernel.

What you do with it, and what you run on it, ISN'T LINUX in any sense other than "its running on a linux system" ..

trying to discount the 'linux OS' choice as something being 'invalid or not worth the effort' is totally, and utterly, admitting ones own ingenuity. if you have to even ask the question 'why linux' on this device, then you really don't know what 'linux' means ..

duh.
Wow, that sounds almost religious. Imagine it this way:

"man .. when you say "religion", what, exactly, do you mean? coz a religion is just an idea.

What you do with it, and how you live your life, ISN'T religion in any sense other than "its just a system of morals" ..

trying to discount the 'religious' choice as something being 'invalid or not worth the effort' is totally, and utterly, admitting ones own lack of faith. if you have to even ask the question 'why god' in this world, then you really don't know what 'spirituality' means ..

duh."

Kinda creepy. :unsure:

wow! haha

edit:
i don't see how you one see gp2brew's posts as baiting. valid points, and no linux bashing that i see.

Ok, so you are a Linux zealot then. You do realise that Linux on the GP2X's limited system is not at all the same creature you're used to on your desktop, right?

This is a thread about REMOVING or DISABLING Linux on the GP2X to allow developers to fully utilize the hardware. You did say you read my post, so maybe the problem is actually comprehension. Oh yes, I am actually insulting you know.

I personally don't care too much about this topic per se, but I don't think, calling names and insulting others will help you convince anyone. Just a friendly reminder why peoples are not so friendly to your replies, so please don't drag me into this. :)

Who says we can't make the Linux port better? There's nothing stopping us from updating the SD drivers, optimizing boot time, etc, etc.

Who says we can't make the Linux port better? There's nothing stopping us from updating the SD drivers, optimizing boot time, etc, etc.

Of course that will happen but when it comes to raw speed it's best to dump linux. Both options have their place and I'll be happy to use both when needed. I think it's great that the 2x uses linux and now I think it's great that we can get even more power out of it using "HH" mode.

Ah, you can paint it how you like, I've pointed out that I have the utmost respect for what GPH has achieved, that I'm not Linux bashing (although a lack of comprehension could lead you to stubbornly believing that, because of a few jokey lines about beating a certain penguin to death), and that I am discussing valid points that have much more meaning than this pointless flaming you're amusing yourself with here.

For the record, I didn't start that Linux - What's the Point thread, jeez.

You seemed to be calling a truce to this silliness in another thread, and then you pop back here and start behaving like you should be on a PSP forum. Well, whatever floats your boat man.

I thank you, you are so gratious. I'm pleased you are a GPH/Linux fanboy and have taken the approach of enocoraging others to enrich the experience of the GP2X.

There are valid points, and I think everyone agrees that if better in faster access to SD,faster access to hardware, faster boot ups and more??, everyone agrees its a good idea hell I love linux and what it offers buts thats already quite a list. The problem is and you know it isn't linux.

Linux as it currently stands for obcuring the hardware, buggy, slow to boot, no power managment whatsoever, or clocking facility and everybody whos familiar with linux is going "no no no" thats not linux linux if flexable, just works, includes all kinds of methods for improving boot times, and power management gets better all the time(a just critasism of linux until recently), as for clocking the chip why the hell not.

and we are back to enforcing GPL

Has anyone actually seen any official word on how heavy/light the "Linux" component is? From the things a lot of people here are saying about performance impact, one would assume that it's a full blown server class system, running countless daemons and X, which would be really rather silly IMHO. I've been assuming that it will just be a basic OS as a platform to fire off other stuff.

Is there any official statement on this? If the Linux layer is thin, you'd probably see less than a 5% speed increase from bypassing it - and if there's a 5% increase, it probably still makes more sense to provide custom hardware driver modules rather than start coding an OS from scratch.

Even more useful to know: If there has been a push to write an OS from scratch, and people are actually doing this, presumably performance tests were already conducted before going ahead with it to verify that there was a significant gain from doing this - are there any figures to look at there?

Without performance figures, it seems kind of premature to get into flamewars about this stuff.

I can picture it now...

20 some seconds of boot time taken up by a mail server, IPV6, CUPS
udev, some form of cron task scheduler, PAM, shadow and a ridiculously large initrd eating 16 MB of ram to duplicate mplayer (gplayer?) and the ebook reader from firmware . . .

Even I could config a kernel better than that.

Too many people down on linux here.

To lighten the mood . . .

What did one snowman say to the other snowman??????

Do you smell carrots? :lol:

Back