• Retro-Gamer, didn't preorder (yet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Homebrew-Fan, I preordered

• Homebrew-Fan, didn't preorder (yet)

• Linux-Enthusiast, I preordered

• Linux-Enthusiast, didn't preorder (yet)

• Total voters

Linux enthusiast I guess. The open source part is the first thing that was interesting (I hadn't known about the GP stuff), then I realized it was the first UMPC I actually didn't hate, for annoying limitations, bad design, or bad price. I don't like game systems and never saw it as one, though eventually the prospect of using it for DOS games interested me.

As for the "What describes you best?" section, I'd say "All of the above, and I preordered" but as that wasn't an option, I chose Retro-gamer since that's probably what I'll use the Pandora for most, but I'm getting it just as much because it's another Linux device with a potential for a great homebrew community (courtesy of the GP2X legacy).

And yes, I own a GP2X, but despite it being a Linux device I never got as much out of it as I'll be getting from the Pandora (mainly because of the GP2X' lack of a keyboard). My GP2X will probably be donated to a gamer friend who doesn't need or want the full Linux experience, but is content with using it as a portable NeoGeo.

Retro Gamer

I had a gp32_console wayyy back in the day. Loved it until our flat got burgled and some dick head stole it. Guess it's probably still gathering dust in a cash convertors. Was going to buy a :gp2x a while back then heard the pandora rumours and thought I'd wait it out. Have since lurked for the year or so and it's getting closer!!

Looking forward to the homebrew and apps, but mostly being able to sit with the first 20 years or so of my gaming youth comfortably in my hands.

There are a lot of reasons why I'd want a Pandora.

First and foremost I'm looking for an open source device that can play games (emulated, homebrew or commercial), play music + radio streams, play films with TV-out so I can watch them on a big screen without messing about or take them to a friends house for watching, portable internet + instant messaging system for when I'm out and about and as a way to admin my computers via SSH.
I'm also looking for a good reason to learn developing and to improve my Linux knowledge.

The GP2X was too restrictive with having no internet connection, crap version of Mplayer for films, no mains recharging and GPH sucked by making it too restrictive.

The N800 was closer for some things but still not right. I missed a hardware keyboard more than what I thought I would when buying it, controls are rubbish and feel cheap, the interface is too small and finicky to use comfortably with most things needing the stylus instead of just a finger and the webcam could only be used for conversations with other Nokia tablet users. I also get annoyed with the lack of updates to simple software problems by Nokia and having to re-encode my movies all the time before I could watch them.

As far as I'm concerned it's 3rd times the charm. The Pandora devs have implemented (or are doing) everything I asked for in the design process and I couldn't be happier with what I've seen so far.

Now I just need to get the money together to buy one :blink:

Linux enthusiast, I suppose.
I pre-ordered one to upgrade my Zaurus SL-C3100. That one already does a lot of stuff the pandora will be able to do.

Chero.

wesbrown18 said:
I didn't select any of these, because the answer is 'all of the above'.

I'm a retor-gamer fan, and I have a collection of older games.

I'm a homebrew fan, in that I like seeing original efforts at games.

And I'm a Unix enthusiast. Note: Not 'Linux'.
Heh... I couldn't vote either, same story, including being a Linux AND Unix enthusiast (Yes, both o' them..).

And neither of us pre-ordered either... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It might of made more fun just to see if there were any users were Pre-GP2X - just to see how long us older
gits who bought the GP32 (blue :) ) were out there, the poll was more GP2X centric

It could of been interesting to see where the initial userbase was from (Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS, etc)

Yes I too have messed around with Linux (Unix, Windows and DOS for Work, Linux for home) for quite a few years - bring back the days when you had to write your own drivers, none of this automated pap - it takes the fun out of it

Well right now I'm still here because I haven't got my refund yet/cc reorder page is not up.

If both of the above were satisfied, I wouldn't be here nearly as much as I am right now.

Voted: "Linux-Enthusiast, I preordered" and "No, but I preordered a Pandora".

I was searching the net for a long time to get a Linux based powerful handheld with touchscreen and lots of storage space, GPS and possibly a keyboard. I want to do mobile editing for OpenStreetMap and for that I have looked at the Nokia N800, N810, netbooks and the OpenMoko phone (Freerunner).

A speedy system is important as I expect turn-by-turn navigation or OpenStreetMap editing software to be very CPU and memory hungry. The OpenMoko phone was quickly out of the picture as I didn't need the phone function at all. All others have different pro's and con's but, for me, the Pandora came on top (followed at distance by the N810). Netbooks are just too big to be working on while standing.

The biggest downside of the Pandora for outdoor usage, as things stand now, is the lack of a transflective screen, I hope the backlight is powerfull enough to counteract that.

While I'm definitely all three (not preorderd, damn, I hate beeing too late *g*) , I voted for Linux-enthusiast. The Pandora seems to be the perfect device for times when my backpack and ThinkPad stay at home. Not to mention that the Pandora's battery lasts 2-3 times longer. And finally I need some device that's way cooler than the iPod touch, I can't stand the Apple-fanboys at the university anymore. :p

I was going to buy a GP2X but there was all that kerfuffle about the 1.4 firmware and I never got round to it.

I'm not familiar with Linux (I'm a graphic designer), but I work at a company that give smallbusiness and government awareness sessions of what can be achieved with open source in childs language. Those sessions really changed my idea in the IT world.

I have a gp2x and I love the freedom in choice. But it lacks to be a portable office device. So then I see the Pandora and see it's big potential being a great portable device that can be used for many purposes....and the most important thing is that it's build to be a tool and aid for open innovation.

I hope to see one day, people using pandora to work, share and communicate in a healthy independant open society with open document formats...

basically a big middlefinger to DRM and vendorlock.

I've always wanted a laptop but i don't think today's laptops are very portable. they have stupid things like 17 inch screens. if you want something that big get a desktop. but I'm a pretty small guy so carrying around even a 12 inch laptop looks awkward and bulky next to me or on my person. The Pandora is the perfect solution for me after my Zodiac died i was lost. i couldn't do nifty things on the go anymore. it may sound sad but when my Zod died I got pretty depressed. other Palms just did not do it for me small screens and a lack of memory with a huge price tag. I'm very big on portable devices for a small guy. and well the gaming controls and emulators are just a bonus to me. even if it did not have those features I'd still buy it so i could have a truly portable laptop sized just for me (well not just for me all of you too). :D

Welcome back JakeK. Hope it went well. If you still want to pre-order just register on the main site. They have said 200-300 should be available.

Survey's a tad skewed considering that this topic is inside the Pandora forum. You'll get drastically different results just posting it to the gp2x or other gaming / handheld forums along with a choice to ask if someone's even heard of the Pandora.

"Pandora's audience" is a general term, but "why are you here?" implies, that you are already here ;)

Hi!

The poll was created to find out who preordered the pandora. I added all those "didn't preorder" to be abled to filter them out ;)
There is probably no better place for this poll then this forum.

I'm really happy with all the people who participated, thank you very much. With the current numbers, the poll should already be interpretable and representative.

About those who said they would belong to all groups: Sure, there are probably lots of those, but adding all possible options would have made the poll to big and hard to interpret. Please make up your mind and decide for one option. It's already clear that lots of voters have interest in the other directions, too.

I didn't preorder, so I'll probably get a second batch unit. I'm a little bit of a retro gamer, but I'm mostly interested because I could really use a powerful portable computer.

Back