The Pandora can not run Windows (or WINE)

I'm curious as to why any of you would want to use Windows in the first place. It's not really a function that the Pandora needs, or one that really suits it's purpose. WINE suppourt on the other hand, would be nice to have for small applications.

would not red alert 2 run under Dosbox?, it`s a dos game isn`t it? (don`t have a copy of red alert 2 and never tried dosbox)
there was a lot of good stuff written for Dos, though I am guessing not all of it will run at playable speeds.

btw if you want red alert then just play Dune on the (confirmed) Amiga emulator, same game, different gfx, Spice vs Tiberium, house Harakonen vs NOD etc, biggest blatant rehash since Crowthers "potty pigeon"

edit
@biotoxin: I think they are wanting some directx games to run on Pandora, so they need windows, not going to happen imo, running windows in emulation is only good for showing people you got windows to run in a emulator, windows it`s self is way too slow to actually run anything on top afaik

hobbyman II said:
would not red alert 2 run under Dosbox?, it`s a dos game isn`t it? (don`t have a copy of red alert 2 and never tried dosbox)
there was a lot of good stuff written for Dos, though I am guessing not all of it will run at playable speeds.

btw if you want red alert then just play Dune on the (confirmed) Amiga emulator, same game, different gfx, Spice vs Tiberium, house Harakonen vs NOD etc, biggest blatant rehash since Crowthers "potty pigeon"

edit
@biotoxin: I think they are wanting some directx games to run on Pandora, so they need windows, not going to happen imo, running windows in emulation is only good for showing people you got windows to run in a emulator, windows it`s self is way too slow to actually run anything on top afaik

My pc version of red alert 2 is for windows 98 and it run in at least 75 mhz, even if there's a way to run it under dosbox i don't think it will run good.

I think laurent is working on a x86 emulator, let's see if in the future we can emulate a 466/66 pc :rolleyes:

btw thanks for that of dune, i'll try it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biotoxsin said:
I'm curious as to why any of you would want to use Windows in the first place. It's not really a function that the Pandora needs, or one that really suits it's purpose. WINE suppourt on the other hand, would be nice to have for small applications.
This thread was started in response to the startling number of posts asking if it could run Windows or Wine so they could play WoW and other modern games.
WINE is not an emulator! You would need an x86 emulator running underneath it which, combined, may give some kind of usefulness, but nowhere near the usefulness that this thread was started to counteract.
If you're going to post in a thread, a sticky no less, the least you can do is actually read it to see if your questions had already been answered.

If this is a real issue, why not just VNC into a Windows session via the network connections on the Pandora. Doing this with the BeagleBoard and every cell phone that I have owned in the past ten years has proven very reliable with decent performance. Since it seems that the Windows 7 Arm port is not gonna happen anytime soon and emulating M$ x86 has a high overhead, VNC or other remote desktop utility might prove the best solution for those trying to play World of Warcraft or other x86 based games.

edit:
Sorry if this post is redundant... didn't want to read through 7 pages of x86 emu debate to post
Also as an embedded developer Win CE on OMAP3 is a reality and could make this platform more extensible. But Win CE is a very stripped down OS making the dev work hard for integrating peripherals and support code. Windows Mobile is based on the CE core and only adds a limited set of apps/utilities (support code).... Hope this info makes the wheels spin for anyone interested

L-dub said:
If this is a real issue, why not just VNC into a Windows session via the network connections on the Pandora. Doing this with the BeagleBoard and every cell phone that I have owned in the past ten years has proven very reliable with decent performance. Since it seems that the Windows 7 Arm port is not gonna happen anytime soon and emulating M$ x86 has a high overhead, VNC or other remote desktop utility might prove the best solution for those trying to play World of Warcraft or other x86 based games.

When you leave the house maybe you can keep the Windows machine in your backpack. Also a car battery.

While I'm sure that there are people out there who didn't realize this was an option you shouldn't pose it as if it's equivalent. I'm going to guess that most people who have a Windows computer running games will probably prefer to just use that computer than a Pandora elsewhere in their house, given that the Pandora will have a small screen with a small keyboard and a touchscreen instead of a large screen with a full keyboard and mouse.

Exophase said:
the Windows machine in your backpack. Also a car battery.
While I'm sure that there are people out there who didn't realize this was an option you shouldn't pose it as if it's equivalent. I'm going to guess that most people who have a Windows computer running games will probably prefer to just use that computer than a Pandora elsewhere in their house, given that the Pandora will have a small screen with a small keyboard and a touchscreen instead of a large screen with a full keyboard and mouse.
...except you definitely want to play oldies on a small screen instead of your big LCD with fancy software scalers : it is much prettier!

I was wonderin to buy a Pandora (which is an awesome device btw) and want to ask wheter i can play Call of Duty 4 on it so i can play druing breaks in my class (we have WLAN in our school!) Could anyone tell me if this is possible, because my friend said you can play it on Linux with some hacking.

mister t said:
I was wonderin to buy a Pandora (which is an awesome device btw) and want to ask wheter i can play Call of Duty 4 on it so i can play druing breaks in my class (we have WLAN in our school!) Could anyone tell me if this is possible, because my friend said you can play it on Linux with some hacking.
Nope, sorry. Wrong platform, wrong OS, wrong CPU. No chance at all.

mindlord said:
mister t said:
However, you can play Quake 3. That would also be good as a lunchbreak shooter.

Vlynndar said:
mindlord said:
mister t said:
However, you can play Quake 3. That would also be good as a lunchbreak shooter.

i hear ya man. Ill be sure to be playing that!

Back