Pandora The Pandora Boards Job Office

foxblock

Asleep
The initial idea for this thread is taken from the gp2x.de forum, it has then been posted over at gp32x.de and now it's here!

Getting a project up and rolling is not that easy, especially if you cannot do it on your own and need someone to help you.

This is the place to find that special someone.

You might have an awesome idea and nobody to help, a working engine but no graphics, a finished game, but lacking music - post about it here and there will be someone to help you! (First be sure to check out the existing openings)

Note: This is not a general discussion thread, think of it as a notice board. Posting using the provided templates only, and if you'd like to make contact with someone, do so via PM.

You're also encouraged to start a dedicated thread for your project!

Some general tips:

• A deadline in the far future may seem pessimistic, but time always goes by faster than you would like it to. A realistic deadline usually is backed up by a good design document and schedule and rarely "in two weeks".
  • Be as detailed as possible and give as many references as possible (no matter whether you are searching or offering)
  • Project leads must try to provide interesting ideas or materials to get peoples attention (remember you are trying to get somebody else work on your idea - everybody got their own ideas, convince people yours is good/better)
  • It will always take longer than expected
  • Simply an idea often is not enough to get a project off the ground - if you are unable to code, provide graphics or music, at least do the work of scheduling and messaging people or writing a detailed design document
  • On that note: A design document is very helpful (containing all info about gameplay, characters, setting, art style, menu layouts, anything and as detailed as possible)
  • If you are the project lead, realize you have got to keep people interested in your project: do your work ASAP and if somebody else does his (e.g. provides graphics), try to get that into the WIP build as quickly as possible, so progress is evident to all project members (art guys might not realize what nice things you have coded unless you can show them some gameplay with their graphics)
  • Stay connected - IM generally is way better than forum messages or e-mails, which may be ignored and don't provide that immediate connection. Skype calls are also very helpful to verbalize ideas
  • Start small (especially if this is your first project), most projects die because they were too ambitious and too big (this cannot be stressed enough)
  • Fancy graphics can only make a good game great, not a bad game good - concentrate on the important parts (the gameplay/story/characters) first

To keep the thread organized and easy to read I am offering you these templates, which you can copy and fill out with personal data:

If you're looking for help:

Project info: Information about the project you are working on, project website, links to graphics, design documents (if available)

Scope/timeframe of the project: How long will it approximately take until completion

I am looking for: What should the person be capable of doing, what will his/her job be on the project? How much will the person have to do?

Target System: Which system(s) are you developing for?

Additional information: Fill this out with additional information

Template code:

Code:
[b]Status: [/b][color="#ff0000"][b]SEARCHING[/b][/color]

[b]Project info: [/b]

[b]Scope/timeframe of the project: [/b]

[b]I am looking for: [/b]

[b]Target System: [/b]

[b]Additional information: [/b]

If you're offering help:

I can: Write about your qualities and experience levels, include a link to your portfolio or previous projects you have worked on.

Availability: How much time do you have at your hands to work on something? How consistent is that, will that change in the future?

I am looking for: What type of project are you looking for or do you have any preferences at all?

Target System: Which target system(s) do you can/want work for?

Additional information: Fill this out with additional information

Template code:

Code:
[b]Status: [/b][color="#0000ff"][b]OFFERING[/b][/color]

[b]I can: [/b]

[b]Availability: [/b]

[b]I am looking for: [/b]

[b]Target System: [/b]

[b]Additional information: [/b]

Please update your post when your status changes to DONE

Code:
[b]Status:[/b] [color="#00ff00"][b]DONE[/b][/color]

When editing the status of your post, make sure you have "Show 'Edit by' line" checked, so people know how old your status is.

Remember, please keep the discussion out of this thread and reply via PM.

For comments and critique about the templates feel free to contact me via PM.

Thank you and good luck to all future projects.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can: Beta test your game/program or review your game

Availability: Currently I have quite a bit of free time on my hands, but this changes when exams are near (in 3-4 months), I am available on IM almost every day

I am looking for: I am happy to help any project which interests me

Target System: Pandora, Windows PC

Additional information: I helped beta-test quite a few projects here and usually give extensive feedback - check these links for examples: Rebirth Review, Homebrew Platformer Compo review

I can: Code, and basic pixel art

Availability: Usually several hours a week

I am looking for: A challenge

Target System: Pandora, Windows, Linux, Android, Raspberry Pi

Additional information: Mostly a 2D coder, but will give anything a try

I can: Code on anything. Kernel, C/C++ App, Python, Lua, MOAI, whatever.

Availability: Part-time (10 - 20 hours a week) for the next 3 months

I am looking for: Artists and Content Producers who need someone to handle the technical side while they focus on producting great content.

Target System: Open Pandora, Caanoo, GPH Wiz, Android, iOS devices, all Linux flavours (Ubuntu/Debian), raspberryPi, &etc.

Additional information: I have a full-blown Synth studio, and can also do Music content creation.

Project info: Pandora Microbes (Forum thread here)

Scope/timeframe of the project: Two weeks or so

I am looking for: Beta-testers, level designers, gfx / sound effect tweakers

Target System: Pandora (but since it's just C++ and SDL, it could be ported to other platforms)

Additional information: The 0.8.1 beta release is on the repo, I can send you the 1.0 release candidate snapshot if you're interested. I want to release 1.0 by mid-October.

Project info: A to-do list application using a very visual interface and using the principles of gamification to make users more productive on a daily basis. I do not have a design document to share yet but that can be done relatively quickly provided someone is interested to work on this.

Scope/timeframe of the project: 1 month depending on how fast we can progress.

I am looking for: Coder/Programmer, capable of working with clear direction.

Target System: Pandora but could be ported on virtually any platform.

Additional information: I would prefer to work with someone who is using to-do lists on a frequent basis and who understands that there are several ways to improve the current available offers.

Project info: AMPS - Advanced Modular Programming System (Forum thread here)

Scope/timeframe of the project: Five to ten years

I am looking for: Mathematicians, Programmers, Toolsmiths, Language Designers

Target System: Cross-Platform

Additional information: This is a clean graphical programming language based on math and logic, still largely vapour after 25 years thought and design! Must be able to code performant games in it.

Back