The Nintendo 3Ds

fischju2000 said:
If they really wanted to kill hacks, they'd force system updates unlike what the Wii does. And they could, which is scary...

That's why I'm not buying a Kindle/Nook. Remember the 1984/Animal Farm fiasco? They can delete your stuff remotely. I just hate that idea, makes me think of being on some sort of... Digital leash. They'll start controlling the books we try and write in Micro$oft word soon, just watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Android has an app kill switch, there's a huge backlash every time one is used inappropriately. You may be a little paranoid...I'm guessing Nintendo won't implement mandatory auto updates, mainly because of practical reasons. The user knows if it's a good time to update more than the system does.

I can live without homebrew for a while if it has good multimedia capabilities...sadly 320x240+ mp4s are all I'm guessing we'll get (in addition to an mp3 player), but Nintendo could surprise. If they want it to be another 5 or 6 year device it needs quite a bit more than retail games.

jourdy, buy a model without a modem. There's no way they can delete anything if the only network connection is a sd card/sneakernet. I haven't been bitten yet with systems like this, but if I migrate more to phones, then backdoors like this become even more important. :(

Frankly this is one of the better reasons for buying a ben nanonote or a caanoo (or pandora).

klikklak said:
jourdy, buy a model without a modem. There's no way they can delete anything if the only network connection is a sd card/sneakernet. I haven't been bitten yet with systems like this, but if I migrate more to phones, then backdoors like this become even more important. :(

Frankly this is one of the better reasons for buying a ben nanonote or a caanoo (or pandora).
Thanks, that's rather comforting to know.. Nonetheless, I like to be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
EB Games in Australia are advertising the 3DS for $350Au tentively and taking orders, they must be coming out very soon as they don't advertise unless it is less than 4 weeks to come out
I will have a look at one when they come out, controls positioning suck on it

Back