The Lottery and Gambling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week, I went into the store with $13 and walked out with $50.

This week, I went in with $2 and walked out with nothing. Pro tip: You can't win with only $2, just get a candy bar or something.

Is it still common in the USA, that winners of big lottery money are made public? I mean, the last thing I want is that everybody knows I won a gazillion monies. But I'm not from the USA. Here in germany it's common and absolutely recommended that nobody knows who exactly won the fortune. In best case not even your own family. ;)

@fusion_power It varies by state. I know that in North Carolina, you have to go public, unless you have a good legal case to stay anonymous. In South Carolina, you can stay anonymous without any special circumstances though. I do remember that last time someone won a big jackpot in South Carolina though, they had press waiting outside the claim center to see who it would be.

Powerball is up to $575 million in the US right now. I think I'll get a ticket on Wednesday.

Is it still common in the USA, that winners of big lottery money are made public?
Lottery is for suckers. Even if they are fair (which seemingly no participant ever checks), you still have a negative expected reward. Lottery is literally just hoping for dumb luck, you do something which is dumb because it has negative expected reward, and then you hope to get rewarded for your stupidity by sheer luck.

I have been a mail delivery agent and during that time I was surprised to learn how many people participate with the Nationale Postcode Loterij. I think that maybe more than half of the people participate, maybe even 2/3. Before I would have probably have guessed something closer to 1/10, I had no idea that lotteries were that popular.

So, I walked into the store with $2 again today, yesterday in quarters, today in dimes. Once again, I should've taken my own advice and just bought a candy bar. :p

@fusion_power It varies by state. I know that in North Carolina, you have to go public, unless you have a good legal case to stay anonymous. In South Carolina, you can stay anonymous without any special circumstances though. I do remember that last time someone won a big jackpot in South Carolina though, they had press waiting outside the claim center to see who it would be.

Powerball is up to $575 million in the US right now. I think I'll get a ticket on Wednesday.
Thanks for the info. I would prefer the incognito-method under any circumstances. And afaik here in germany, if you win big money in a lottery, they send you experts that consult you what you should and not should do with the money and the communication about.
Hey, if you win big with the powerball, maybe donate a little bit to ED, he deserves some monetary support and we want more and better Pyras. ;)

Lottery is for suckers. Even if they are fair (which seemingly no participant ever checks), you still have a negative expected reward. Lottery is literally just hoping for dumb luck, you do something which is dumb because it has negative expected reward, and then you hope to get rewarded for your stupidity by sheer luck.

I have been a mail delivery agent and during that time I was surprised to learn how many people participate with the Nationale Postcode Loterij. I think that maybe more than half of the people participate, maybe even 2/3. Before I would have probably have guessed something closer to 1/10, I had no idea that lotteries were that popular.
I'm not really into lottery or gambling at all. I maybe played 3x in my life "Lotto", had one 3-match out of 6 once, which resulted in a low 2-digit number of cash. Lottery is still popular in Germany, we have several ones, including the huge EU wide "Euro-Jackpot". But also charity related lottery's like "Aktion Mensch" that support social projects and where you can buy a year-long lottery ticket for instance. These lottery tickets are also popular gifts.

I didn't get a ticket on Wednesday after all, because I didn't get my weekly spending cash until it was almost dark outside, and I would've had to walk to the store since my dad didn't visit this week.

Good thing too, as there were two jackpot winners, meaning I would've had to split the $630 million three ways, and no one likes to do that.

in Switzerland growing up there was a lottery who's catch phrase (in German) was "toto lotto lose”. If find this comical if not breathtakingly honest.
Post automatically merged:

I didn't get a ticket on Wednesday after all, because I didn't get my weekly spending cash until it was almost dark outside, and I would've had to walk to the store since my dad didn't visit this week.

Good thing too, as there were two jackpot winners, meaning I would've had to split the $630 million three ways, and no one likes to do that.
if you gamble with stocks you can have excitement every millisecond.

Also a “Problem “ Gambling in Games: im now at Borderlands 2 and because there is a chance to win iridium at the Slot Machine in the Town, and the fees for the using of the new u station depends on your money, I use lots of time the fast travel even in ongoing quests to get back to sanctuary, and I put my whole ingame money in the slot machine..

It’s like a devils round : whit the Iridium you get, you can upgrade your inventory, so you can take more loot and sell this for more rounds on the slotmachine to get more inventory space…..

I think you were in a white neighborhood. If you go to islamic neighborhoods, nobody plays. The amount of adds I get in the mailbox from N.P.L. to play with them is very high compared to darker skinned neighborhoods.

Yeah, I've never met a gambling system in games that it quite as unfair as almost any national lottery I've looked at, although I did stop buying new games more or less when the loot crates thing was big, so maybe that says more about my gaming purchase history than reality.

I think you were in a white neighborhood. If you go to islamic neighborhoods, nobody plays. The amount of adds I get in the mailbox from N.P.L. to play with them is very high compared to darker skinned neighborhoods.
IIRC then almost everyone I saw in that neighbourhood was of caucasian race. Too bad for me then , delivering those Nationale Postcode Loterij present packets constitutes hours of extra work, though it is only once per year. But it then may take a weak to deliver them all.

I've got $91 in my wallet right now. I'm tempted to gamble, because I can't really think of anything else to spend it on. Not a lot of major Switch releases right now. Maybe SMTV?

Note also that the walk to Walgreens to get online gift cards for shopping is almost twice as long as the walk to the store that sells lottery stuff.

The most expensive scratcher they sell in NC is $30. I kinda wish they had a $40 or $50 one.

Note also that the walk to Walgreens to get online gift cards for shopping is almost twice as long as the walk to the store that sells lottery stuff.
Buy gift cards, get some exercise done for free.

Buy cans of food that can be stored longterm. Send money to E.D. with a note. I once did that. For a day that he had to take her out to dinner (patient wife also needs some pampering). He has not mentioned anything about it in the videos/forum.
How about buying a breadmaking machine? You can make pizza dough with it. Much cheaper pizza if you also invest in an electric pizza oven with it. And pizza is ideal to just add left-overs on top. Got some extra stuff? cut it small and add it below the cheese.

Also breadmaking machines can be programmed with a timer. So it starts making bread a 4 am. And at 8 you have this beep that wakes you up and the smell of fresh bread fills the air. It's very pleasant. Just don't eat the bottom screw (the dough kneader) which is embedded in your loaf of bread...

Last edited:
Well, I had $91, then I spent $30 on pizza yesterday. This thread is about what happened to the remaining $61 though.

Bought two $25 scratchers. Lost on both. $50 annihilated. With just $11 left, I bought a $3 Mega Millions ticket and saved $8 for a rainy day.

Why not jst save it up and buy memory or other such hardware from it? Such hardware is always good. The more memory the better. You can also buy canned food and prep for the upcoming regime. Too bad for this time, but at least there will probably be next time.

More memory is good until you hit the max memory for your motherboard. Beyond that it's arguable worth having spare, but personally I've not carried spare ram for a few years now. So far (touch wood) the stuff I've installed hasn't gone wrong.

I could argue for more hard discs or SSDs depending on your preferences. HDDs are cheaper but noisier in action, and generally bigger in capacity, and if you're only connecting them when your making a backup once every couple of weeks or so on, that might be acceptable to you. Also easier to take apart and destroy in order to keep your secrets when your done, which is generally something that only comes to mind once you've destroyed a couple.

Last edited:
More memory is good until you hit the max memory for your motherboard. Beyond that it's arguable worth having spare, but personally I've not carried spare ram for a few years now. So far (touch wood) the stuff I've installed hasn't gone wrong.
I was actually thinking about external memory for data hoarding, not RAM. Though IMO RAM is still better than gambling and pizza. Really any kind of memory would be better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back