The Last Express and Dosbox

misterkev

Still Fresh
I've been trying to get The Last Express running in Dosbox without success. When I try to run it, it says it can't find the cd but I have the GoG version, and as there's no disc to mount I can't figure out how to do it. I've seen on here that it can be done, but haven't seen anyone say how. I've searched, so apologies if I've missed it somewhere.

never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong, sorry. This topic can be closed

Would you mind sharing how you solved it, please? That way, others who run into the same problem will be able to benefit, too. :)

Would you mind sharing how you solved it, please? That way, others who run into the same problem will be able to benefit, too. :)

Sorry to grave dig. I just hate to leave the topic like this.

I just managed (after many failed attempts) to get last express working, although it was horribly slow, so thought I would share it here

I was using the gog download, installed it (in wine) and then copied the whole folder(I renamed it TLE) across to dosbox/games

Then cd to the TLE directory and type

mount d ~/games/tle/data -t cdrom

the started the game as usual.

Not sure this is helpful or if it was blatantly obvious all along

PS I was using the dosbox I found on craigs app site, is there a better version I could try?

Amen.

xkXwa.png

Props for the information, DrCJ. This is the good kind of grave dig.

There are some other DOSBox ports, namely Streak's versions which aren't available for download now. There is also 'Winbox' on the repo, which has some hacks for running Win3.1 (I haven't tried it for regular DOS stuff). I still run Pickle's old port for my DOS stuff.

Cheers for the response Gruso, That cartoon was pretty much how the situation went even worse because of the comment "never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong, sorry. This topic can be closed"

I've just tried the winbox emulator and seems about the same tbh. I guess i'll have wait for scummvm or Qemu (not sure if it will work with these though)

Cheers

CJ

I got it working by following these instructions

You have to use the unshield program to extract the file HD.HPF from DATA1.CAB on the CD1

Then you must make a virtual cd mount in dosbox with a directory containing

The contents of the DOSbox virtual CD folder looks like this:

CD1.HPF

CD2.HPF

CD3.HPF

MAKINGOF.AVI

README.TXT

\DATA\

blue.egg

gold.egg

green.egg

purple.egg

red.egg

teal.egg

\DOS\

express.exe

install.exe

uninstal.exe

Then I launched Boxer, selected the game, then DOS prompt

Switched to D:\DOS and ran INSTALL.EXE

It completed without errors but the game still did not run because HD.HPF was not installed.

I put HD.HPF in the game folder and it worked

The contents of the installed game folder now looks like this:

\EXPRESS\

EXPRESS.EXE

HD.HPF

INSTALL.LOG (created by installer)

README.TXT

UNINSTAL.EXE

Hi, Sorry to bump this topic. 

I'm trying to start the game on a MAC OSX.

I followed the above instructions and copied the files in the virtual folder "EXPRESS" created by Boxer and DosBox.

The folder now looks like: 

Schermata_2014_10_27_a_09_41_39.png

As you can see the CD1.hpf file is present in the folder, but when I launch the game through Boxer with the command "Express.exe", the game still asks me for the Cd1:

Schermata_2014_10_27_a_10_19_21.png

I would be glad if you could help me.

Thanks

It's suggested you ask at the Dosbox, dosgames.com or Boxer forums as this is not for the OpenPandora.

Having said that though you will need to ensure you have made a virtual CDRom Volume using boxers interface (Not entirely sure how as it's been ages since I used it.)

It's suggested you ask at the Dosbox, dosgames.com or Boxer forums as this is not for the OpenPandora.

Having said that though you will need to ensure you have made a virtual CDRom Volume using boxers interface (Not entirely sure how as it's been ages since I used it.)

thank you. 

the most useful thing to do when running gog dosbox packaged games is to look at thier conf file. There are usually 2 of them, one will be a larger with all the default options and another with the specific changes needed to run the game. Find the smaller one and it should show you the exact mount command they used for the cd data.

the most useful thing to do when running gog dosbox packaged games is to look at thier conf file. There are usually 2 of them, one will be a larger with all the default options and another with the specific changes needed to run the game. Find the smaller one and it should show you the exact mount command they used for the cd data.
Thank you for your help, but I didn't understand. Where can I find the conf files?

My problem is to "activate" the images of the game cds, because when I run the "express.exe" the game still asking "insert the cd1"

thank you

Swapping CD images
Q. How do I unmount or change images? I need to swap CD images in the drive.

A. You may assign more than one image file to IMGMOUNT, to swap images use CTRL-F4. You can also unmount images by using the -u switch. See IMGMOUNT for more information.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBox_FAQ#Swapping_CD_images

Thank you again.

In the DOXBOX shell I tried:

MOUNT D EXPRESS

IMGMOUNT D /VOLUMES/EXPRESS

but the system gave me: the directory EXPRESS doesn't exist.

why?

thanks

MOUNT D EXPRESS
This means you want to mount the directory "EXPRESS" as drive "D" in the dosbox environment, as long as you have a path called "EXPRESS" in your filesystems root, this cannot work, adjust the path to where the files are in your filesystem - something like "/home/mm88/games/EXPRESS"
This may work, but be advised that you can't map both to drive "D" - at least thats the impression I got when you write one commandline entry directly after the other.

MOUNT D EXPRESS
This means you want to mount the directory "EXPRESS" as drive "D" in the dosbox environment, as long as you have a path called "EXPRESS" in your filesystems root, this cannot work, adjust the path to where the files are in your filesystem - something like "/home/mm88/games/EXPRESS"
This may work, but be advised that you can't map both to drive "D" - at least thats the impression I got when you write one commandline entry directly after the other.

When I tried    IMGMOUNT ~/EXPRESS/CD1.HPF 

the DosBox gave me "Image File not found"

Probably because I'm not capable to rewrite the entire path. 

Is there a way to find the exact path of the folder "EXPRESS" with some dos command in dosbox?

thanks

Back