The Gigas Project Sign Ups

mechanori

OK, now that the idea has been thrown out there, let's get moving. First of all, we need the team. I'm not positive who wanted to join, so if you could leave some contact information (email address would be fine, and if you're not okay with that, you can PM me with the email address or we can contact eachother via PM), how you would like to help with the project, and any other notes you might want to leave (such as availability, etc. If we could keep this to a nice format, things will stay organized. Try and make it like this:

GP32X Board Name:
Contact Info:
Contribution:
Notes:

Also, we do have to decide on a game idea. People who do not wish to join the team can lend their opinions also, but team members will have the most say, simply because we know how Gigas works and what we're capable of. If you have any other ideas, tell us, in detail, what the idea is. I'll try and keep the list updated. ANYONE and EVERYONE can help, so if you have any talents that you think you can contribute, either sign up or leave an idea or something. Coders can help to. Try and spread the word though; I'm not sure how often this board is visited by other board members.

Now for the list of ideas:

1. Good vs. Evil Game- I imagine this is something like Star Wars: KOTOR. I'm not sure how possible something like this is, and we still have to work out a story for it.
2. Rurouni Kenshin RPG- According to kuriboh, the anime is like this: "Rurouni Kenshin is actually pretty simple. He was a man slayer who wanted to stop killing people. so he went good. then he meets a women that runs a certain sword school. from there he meets and battles people and eventually changes them to good."
3. Story-Based RPG- According to me: "My first one was basically about a general that fights under a religious organization who believes that anybody who doesn't believe in their faith works for what is basically the devil. I could explain the whole religion to you, but I'll do that only if you're interested. Anyway, it's set in a medieval environment. The main character's father was a martyr for the religion (I don't know if this is the right term), so the main character is very dedicated to his religion, until one day he discovers that all the people he's been battling are actually not the evil people his religious organization had claimed. The story continues from there."
4. MMORPG-style game- Like .hack. It would have missions, people to talk to, and maybe even a story.
5. "Communication" Game- A game like this is similar to Animal Crossing. Instead of battling monsters and gaining experience, it's more like living in a small electronic world. Many of the elements that make a game like this fun might be restricted by Gigas though, but could work if there was a lot of good content.
6. "Port" of the 3D Zeldas Is self-explanitory. The transition from 3D to 2D might be difficult.
7. Adventure Puzzle Game- Similar to Myst or Riven. Basically, you walk around a world filled with puzzles and try to solve them to continue in the game. It might work very well with the current Gigas version, simply because it needs no conventional RPG features.
8. Hack And Slash- Similar to Gauntlet or Diablo. Just running around and killing tons of creatures. Because Gigas is so limited in the battling and item departement, we might run in to difficulty keeping the player interested. A story about a baker going on a killing spree was suggested. :D
9. Spy Game Don't really know what this means, maybe something like Metal Gear Solid?

alright glad I said you should be the ringleader. Cause I would of probably been very vague about the Idea.hahaha :lol: any ways I am sending a PM to u right now. also, how many people are we going to have in the gigas progect? it would probably be best to have a limit of people, otherwise it would be very confusing. And now the adventure BEGINS!! :D

YAY

well, I cant offically join, but i can help till i get my comp workin
ill wait tilll then to put my info, but let me know ifn ya need help till then

~Octavious

. "Port" of the 3D Zeldas Is self-explanitory. The transition from 3D to 2D might be difficult.

Why not go all out and try for 3d? I've been looking over some examples for klimt, and now that i've seen what's possible(MGS- ignore the chunkiness, "This is not even near the maximum quality that can be handled by the GP32" -locke). I guess i'm kinda dreaming here, but hey, i've got some programming experience, i wouldn't mind lending a hand when i can find the time, been experimenting with gp32linux and different programming projects :)

narmak posted on Oct 29 2004 at 01:30 AM said:
. "Port" of the 3D Zeldas Is self-explanitory. The transition from 3D to 2D might be difficult.

Why not go all out and try for 3d? I've been looking over some examples for klimt, and now that i've seen what's possible(MGS- ignore the chunkiness, "This is not even near the maximum quality that can be handled by the GP32" -locke). I guess i'm kinda dreaming here, but hey, i've got some programming experience, i wouldn't mind lending a hand when i can find the time, been experimenting with gp32linux and different programming projects :)
As awesome as that might be, it's not really open to all of us who don't know much about 3D and can't code. What's interesting about a group Gigas project is that it doesn't rely solely on one person. If someone backs out, or just can't make a sprite sheet we might need, there are always other people to turn to, thus this thread. We need people we can outsource to so people without all the talents can get something made for the GP32 community.

A recreation of the 3D Zeldas would be absolutely amazing though. I believe there is an N64 emulator which can rip models and one that can rip textures, but I'm not sure which. Go for it, if you can.

As for us, I hope let's try on task. Maybe some of us can put this thread's URL in their Sig so other people can learn about the project. Also, kuriboh and Octavious, you didn't vote! We need votes so we can get started without the project falling apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
mechanori posted on Oct 29 2004 at 01:46 AM said:

As awesome as that might be, it's not really open to all of us who don't know much about 3D and can't code. What's interesting about a group Gigas project is that it doesn't rely solely on one person. If someone backs out, or just can't make a sprite sheet we might need, there are always other people to turn to, thus this thread. We need people we can outsource to so people without all the talents can get something made for the GP32 community.

A recreation of the 3D Zeldas would be absolutely amazing though. I believe there is an N64 emulator which can rip models and one that can rip textures, but I'm not sure which. Go for it, if you can.

As for us, I hope let's try on task. Maybe some of us can put this thread's URL in their Sig so other people can learn about the project. Also, kuriboh and Octavious, you didn't vote! We need votes so we can get started without the project falling apart.

well, yes i did realize the goal of the project, just got a little carried away, but if coding, or scripting (zot!, fenix) is needed, i'm open, i really don't care what you guys end up doing, i'll work on anything that will help me learn a little more about this stuff.

Can't code worth a damn, but if you need help with a story or dialogue I'm more than willing to lend a hand.

Darkholmme posted on Oct 29 2004 at 08:15 AM said:
Can't code worth a damn, but if you need help with a story or dialogue I'm more than willing to lend a hand.

same for me, and im going to print out the official tutorial as soon as i have paper (; until then i'll read it on pc, and maybe i discover my gigas skills... as soon as i know what i can do, ill help :)
for now i can just write dialogues or stories....although my english may not be perfect... but my english teachers always loved me, so i guess it'll be ok :)

I could do graphics, like this un i made for sam fisher
samfisher.gif

but as most people know im a bit shit at being reliable (i still havent finished the SF sprite) coz of college work

narmak posted on Oct 29 2004 at 01:54 AM said:
mechanori posted on Oct 29 2004 at 01:46 AM said:

well, yes i did realize the goal of the project, just got a little carried away, but if coding, or scripting (zot!, fenix) is needed, i'm open, i really don't care what you guys end up doing, i'll work on anything that will help me learn a little more about this stuff.

hehe a 3d zelda would be very cool, nice idea.. so you want to do an engine with klint
fully 3D in the zelda universe that would be really awesome.. i would also work on thsi project (texturing mapping ;) ) but not right now, but we could work on this later for the next compo :) *joking*
so you now Zot! and Fenix or want to learn it..
i thought about doing my PokemonGP on Fenix but i cant speak spanish so there is almost no way of learning it yet.
if you have enough time would you also be intrested in helping me with my pokemon GP project. (not if you dont have enough time, then you should just work on this community project)

GP32X Board Name: Octavious
Contact Info: PM me here, ill have a Gmail soon...
Contribution: pretty much anything, except maybe making an origional charecter, but I can try
Notes:umm, I think I could do a bit, Ill have a bunch of random down times before X-mas but nothing to major ( moving, building house, exams... )
also, If I can get the stuff to make chatboards and it turns out to be easy enough, Ill make a handfull for us for cheaper than Nigelbrown or gp32z, but thats no promise!

~Octavious

Hiya lads, haven't checked the forum for a few days - its great to see you pulling together to work on a project!

I love RPG's, so if you guys need anything coded in urgently to help you along - drop me an e-mail at gigas at pirotic dot com and i'll get it done asap for you.

as you know im working on another project at the moment, but i can still find time to get stuff coded in for gigas if its really urgent, and even if its not urgent i'm going to get gigas finished eventually, and then start porting it to other platforms. so your hardwork wont go to waste.

items and shops are on the top of the 'to do' list at the moment, but your game needs to be turnbased i can bump that up to the top to.

anyway, once you've got your game designed drop me an e-mail telling me what's needed and i'll get it done for you.

regards

Pirotic

yay, we got the creator on our side... CHEERS!!!
anyways,
GP32x Board Name:Nilsiboy
Contact info: Nils_Berg@gmx.de
Contribution:still reading 'bout Gigas, but willing to help... creative ideas, more i cant do at the moment, but ill learn fast
Notes:please dont refuse me, i really want to help :)

:D Progress:awesome! :)
people:great
creator:affirmative

I think we are almost ready to do this. But I have a question for mechanori:What we to vote on again? I can't remember what u said about it. We really need someone to make tiles or sprites if possible. unless someone already can? :huh:
But I stay happy :D

Right. We do need an artist or two (Octavious...?).

What we're voting on is the game concept. We really need some kind of project to work on before we start working, which is why I listed the ideas from the other thread.

So VOTE! :)

I say the either Story-Based RPG or the Hack And Slash games. guess that would be the best for how far we can go due to gigas being incomplete. :D

Back