The Final Revision

giphy.gif

Probably about 1 - 2 hours.

:) Oh, great! I had imagined something much more involved / time-consuming!

Don't forget: The molds for the cases are being moved AFTER UniquePlast comes back from holidays, and that is middle to end of August. So we won't have cases before September.

I wasn't forgetting that, actually. My Pessimist was just imagining hardware going to the WiFi testers end of August, them reporting back by end of September, prototype boards being modified by the end of October and being tested until the end of December :p

ED if I may ask, I'm a little curious, if you have decided yet, what is the plan for the already existing, non-optimized batch of cpu pcbs? Will they be used in the pre-pre order Pyras or will the pre-pre orderers get the (presumably not yet produced, but fully optimized cpu pcbs)?

likely I think he's concerned with heat from the heatsink dissipating into the battery compartment. Just a non-professional view of the design I think with the casing and an small air gap, I don't think this would be that big of a deal.

Yeah, it's two aspects really. The heatsink I think is meant to dissipate into the usb socket cage, but you don't want to thermally glue it there because that would make removing the CPU board impractical. And in a second look, the heatsink looks to fill up that void in the case, which is how it should be; either acting as a sink or as a radiator, you want it as big as practical. But that means it's up against the inside of the case at the side there. I guess that might be thicker polycarbonate, being a little more structural, but it's still the battery on the other side of that wall. And given you've gotten heat shielding for the entire bottom surface of the battery, you could just put a little wing on that sheet and let dropping the heatsink in wedge it between the heatsink and the case inside (assuming it is a self-integral sheet and not simply paint on the CPU board back).

But maybe I'm misreading how close it is and how much heat will pass through the polycarbonate at that point, and maybe the way the battery is held and how it's packed internally means heat there doesn't really matter, and if the copper is connected well the the USB cage and that acts as a radiator, then the copper is just a buffer for heat passing through it. And of course, we only really need to consider this kind of overheat when both cores on the CPU and the various subsystems therein are being stressed, by a complicated 3d game with overly complicated AI routines, for exampe.

Basically, you're trying different resistor values and measure if that improves Wifi or not.
If it gets worse, you're moving in the wrong direction.
If it gets worse in both directions, you've hit the sweet spot.

It's the gradient descent algorithm they use to train neural networks!

Just replace "sweet spot" with "local minimum." It may or may not be the same as the global minimum.

I have to say, that clear case is a beautiful display piece. It is nice to see everything but I still wouldn't want to have it as my Pyra, I'd get bored of it after a while. It is perfect for conventions though.

Really close now. I'm actually putting my tour on hold, I have someone here willing to keep my bike safe and I'm flying back to the US to work for a while. I might upgrade to a Pyra if it comes out while I'm home. I have been out for 11 months, I really want to be somewhere I know where I'm going to sleep that night and know I'll have food and will be dry. And I'm broke, but there is a Sega CDX in box in my storage that might go up on ebay to pay for this. . .

ED if I may ask, I'm a little curious, if you have decided yet, what is the plan for the already existing, non-optimized batch of cpu pcbs? Will they be used in the pre-pre order Pyras or will the pre-pre orderers get the (presumably not yet produced, but fully optimized cpu pcbs)?
I think he said something about keychains before.

I might upgrade to a Pyra if it comes out while I'm home. I have been out for 11 months, I really want to be somewhere I know where I'm going to sleep that night and know I'll have food and will be dry. And I'm broke, but there is a Sega CDX in box in my storage that might go up on ebay to pay for this. . .

Might as well sell the Sega CDX to fund something pocketable you'll be able to emulate Sega CDX on ;)

Yes, they're over a year old, so even populating them might be problematic :/
Really? :(
There goes my hopes for a Scrap Edition Pyra....though this was based on my assumption that you had mostly working, but not quite perfect, mainboards lying around as well anyway....

Might as well sell the Sega CDX to fund something pocketable you'll be able to emulate Sega CDX on ;)
It looks like I could get as much as $400 for it. How much does the Pyra go for?

I don't feel as bad selling it, I mainly played our model 1 and my sega nomad. I got the CDX brand new on sale at the end of its life, the games by that time were gone or only crapy ones left so I didn't play it at all. . .

It looks like I could get as much as $400 for it. How much does the Pyra go for?

I don't feel as bad selling it, I mainly played our model 1 and my sega nomad. I got the CDX brand new on sale at the end of its life, the games by that time were gone or only crapy ones left so I didn't play it at all. . .

Well good, step to it and get your Pyra ;)

well done!
just sipped an cooling dragonwell tea for celebrating this good news and giving the whole team a spirit-boost! :)

Really? :(
There goes my hopes for a Scrap Edition Pyra....though this was based on my assumption that you had mostly working, but not quite perfect, mainboards lying around as well anyway....
This isn't about what we're colloquially calling the mainboard - that would be a bit big for a keychain (plus I've already got a signed unpopulated one of those from the pre-preorder phase), but the CPU boards which plug in to the mainboard (or perhaps the other way around depending on your perspective) are a lot smaller and tall and thin rather than designed to host all of the game controls and keyboard so basically the size of the finished unit.

I guess the problem with old boards is that copper tends to oxidise over time in the atmosphere. You may be able to bathe the boards in flux or something to undo that enough to be able to solder to the pads, but is that really worth your time; even dozen layer unpopulated PCBs are not where the expense is in these kind of operations.

Do we need to settle on an agreed nomenclature? Possibilities come to mind...

Names for the big board: System Board, Mother Board, Keyboard Board (I like this one), Peripheral Board, Big Board.

Names for the small board: Processor Board, Daughter Board, CPU Board, Brain Board, Little Board.

Names for the display backlight board: Display Board, Blinkinboard (full of LED lights), Cheese Board (full of holes), Back Board.

Back