The day the Pandora goes even more open

YOU ARE FREAKING AWESOME!
I'll print out a fluro green Pandora case with an Arduino (TinyDuino) attached to it!!

THANKS!

I wonder how long it'll be until someone (without irony) complains that since there's the restriction that these can't be used for commercial purposes that it's not actually "open".
 Well for Open Source software that would actually be unusual to enforce such restrictions since the GPL is very widespread, but for hardware projects this is actually rare to see anything much open.
Found oneA small complaint but a complaint all the same.

Hmm. Not exactly on topic but!

a3emu7uj.jpg

evete6yd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the guidelines on how to get Pyra certified as Open Hardware by Free Software Foundation

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/criteria

If all the requirements are met, Pyra would get into this nice list:

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

That should attract a lot of geeks who were not previously interested in Pandora/Pyra :

because Pyra would have a lot more performance than old rebranded ThinkPad "free laptop" !

Respect-Your-Freedom-128x128.png
Please no for many many reasons discussed at length here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14049-respects-your-freedom-certification/page-32

The FSF and their RYF certification are the antithesis of real freedom.  This project is far better off without them.

gluglug sells a lot of x60 laptops, not really because ibm thinkpads are really in the wind, but in large part because they are on that list, and currently the best fully free system.

A lot more x60s than ibm is shifting, certainly a lot of publicity in retrospect for what is a ready made version of what you could assemble yourself before.

Sales or no sales, it does generate publicity for what used to be just a well made laptop of yesteryear.

I assume people will run linux|gnu on it, and it isnt really powerful enough to run any software that isnt multiarch already, so all the more reason to think the buyers dont care as much about what variety the architecture is. I imagine they are the people who have power, mips and arm setups already.

A lot of that publicity can be translated to interest from other demographics than those who are already aware of foss gaming handhelds, and want more of the laptop features.

But as mentioned, it cant happen with powerVR drivers on the graphics.

Won't work with and SGX driver.
Not everyone really needs the GPU though, at least not all of the time. I know I rarely use the GPU in the Pandora. Despite lunixbochs and p'titSebs great efforts to make me want to use it :)

A Pyra without a working GPU would still be 95% as useful to me as a Pyra with a working GPU.

I wouldn't object to a RYF-certified Pyra that ships with a 100% FSF-approved distro. Of course the non-free GPU driver should still be made available and easy to install. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't need to be shipped. Shipping a handheld like the Pyra without a working GPU would be an awesome statement: it really is not just a gaming device :)

That or find a way to get the PowerVR reverse engineering effort back on tracks.

I don't want to revive the old thread I started about it, but it does feel a bit frustrating to be that close to a 100% Free device but still not quite there. Of course a 95% Free device is also nice, and certainly much better than all of those 5% Free devices out there. But still...

Non-working gpu, or limited, isnt really a selling feature, not that i think ive ever used mine.

Since the CPU is on its own board, i think its interesting to have the mainboard be free of proprietary drivers. Wifi drivers is the deciding factor there.

Non-working gpu, or limited, isnt really a selling feature, not that i think ive ever used mine.

Since the CPU is on its own board, i think its interesting to have the mainboard be free of proprietary drivers. Wifi drivers is the deciding factor there.
Yes, I agree with you that having open-source WiFi is very important, - also because WiFi is directly related to security of system

It would insane for ED to sell the Pandora or Pyra with a non working GPU; trying to please a stupidly small audience. Perhaps _wb_ or someone with similar beliefs could become a distributor and offer a FSF approved version? Is that possible?

I don't see any benefit of a Pyra without GPU driver.

Full open source? Come one, that's not an argument for me.

Back