The current Pandoras price tag

You can get good products from the Chinese, but you need to send your Q&A team and a few quality assurance dudes there to make sure they do as you told them to.
Just this; Craig used to like posting a video about entrepreneurs doing some things (I think it was a documentary about the BBC Micro maybe? I dunno, details not the point, this advice came from several other start ups) but one of the suggestions they made was that when dealing with Chinese manufacturing you needed to have someone in a business suit there to oversee everything or you would either get nothing or not what you were looking for.I'm pretty sure if Craig had just spent a few thousand on flight and hotel he'd have had the case finished in 2 weeks instead of 8 months. Same advice going to EvilDragon if needed: hire someone to be there on official capacity if he can't go himself, save tens of thousands in lost sales and headache.

I'm pretty sure if Craig had just spent a few thousand on flight and hotel he'd have had the case finished in 2 weeks instead of 8 months. Same advice going to EvilDragon if needed: hire someone to be there on official capacity if he can't go himself, save tens of thousands in lost sales and headache.
Exactly, most of the Chinese guys ain't the kind of people that you can just give them the job and they will work out the quirks and flaws and somehow make your proposal work. They are smart but lack of ethics, they will openly interpret anything you did not specify and they will keep making less than satisfying products until you tell them to stop, don't expect the success of the project is also in their best of interest. They simply do not care about the results.

I wouldn't say it's because their lack of training. They know what to do, and how to do it. It's more of an attitude problem.

Craigix is a guy that can't stay focused on things, he is a good dreamer, but he need some one there to nail his feet on the floor before he went out setting someone's grandpa on fire. ED is an easy going guy who is passionate about what he is doing, and he will do his best to do it well. I think out of the two, I would bet my hard-earned money on ED. Though he is not the type of guy that will hammer others until they work as he want them to. That kind of people is best suited for project managers. My father is just like that, and he was able to pretty much have every single detail under his control. Hard to get friendly, warmly with, but has an extremely sense of justice.

BTW, I'm not sure with that an serious angry big guy in a business suit part, that's kinda funny to picture in my mind. Thanks for that joke. (intended or not)

My point here is; i'm quite confident that the Pandoras biggest deterrent is the big price tag. If the Pandora distributors are able to enforce a plan like structure (probably better by default) so people are paying about 50 Australian dollars a month, (sorry i couldn't be bothered converting to Euro or US dollars) they'll have the device paid off in one year and they won't be so put off by the price tag.
Get a cookie pickle jar put your 50 dollars into it every month, after 12 months you can buy a pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point here is; i'm quite confident that the Pandoras biggest deterrent is the big price tag. If the Pandora distributors are able to enforce a plan like structure (probably better by default) so people are paying about 50 Australian dollars a month, (sorry i couldn't be bothered converting to Euro or US dollars) they'll have the device paid off in one year and they won't be so put off by the price tag.
Get a cookie pickle jar put your 50 dollars into it every month, after 12 months you can buy a pandora.
But what about interest rate, Pickle? I want my 3 bucks interest so that I can get another jar of pickle.

BTW, are you British, I think Branston pickles are way superior than my Australian pickles.

I always disliked the installment plan idea. Not so much because I think it'd be ineffective in getting people to buy.. I could see it being more effective for some people. But I don't think people should be encouraged to fall for it, it's poor money management to go for installment plans that just end up costing you more in the end. If making a $600 purchase upfront is an not possible for you or wouldn't be a responsible purchase then IMO you shouldn't be looking into purchasing something like this at all - you're in a position where you really should be saving your money more first. Now, if you have the money but just go for the installment plan because it "feels" less even when it isn't, then you should probably step back and think about the implications of this a bit.

I do think it'd be great if a successor device could cost a little less, though. This isn't much of a ridiculous prospect either (I think ED agrees), since a lot of Pandora's price is inflated to cover unforeseen complications and first batch orders that paid vastly less.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what about interest rate, Pickle? I want my 3 bucks interest so that I can get another jar of pickle.

BTW, are you British, I think Branston pickles are way superior than my Australian pickles.
Nope, im from the US.

Can't!  Because all those money will turn into pickles  :p

Can't!  Because all those money will turn into pickles  :p
Thats ok you can get a pickledora instead

'merica pickles are always unhealth food in my mind, sorry.

Just looking at them, I feel fat and shamed. (don't take it personally, I'm trying to tell a joke)
Branston pickle is over 20% sugar by weight though (refined sugar is it's second biggest ingredient, after vegetables). It's not exactly health food either, I'm afraid.

Regarding the topic at hand, I do hope ED's next project, whatever it is, can be sold at a more representative cost, and not have to also provide living costs for its maker(s) for five years or so. Though I still consider the price I paid for my GHz unit to be pretty decent value, comparing it to the RRP of phones I'd consider buying, and even then it does far more far better than any phone can.

Branston pickle is over 20% sugar by weight though (refined sugar is it's second biggest ingredient, after vegetables). It's not exactly health food either, I'm afraid.
Wait, what's so bad about sugar? I thought it's the main energy source for human activities, and thus people eat jams alot. 

Products lower their prices to stay competitive, but there aren't anything that's like pandora. Pandora has no need to compete with GCW or any of those android ps-vita-wanna-bes. There is not much point in lowering the price by a lot I think. However, may be it's a bit expensive for its target market. Many may not be able to afford it. (really, I mean every where people are reading news on their ipads, but I guess people won't complain when they can afford something).

I'm sure there's a better place for this, but refined sugar is bad because it only provides easy to digest sugar (it's mainly sucrose, which is cheap for the body to convert to glucose, which can be used by muscles almost immediately only if you're currently exercising strenuously). Complex carbohydrates (including starches and other sugars to a certain degree) are better for you because they still provide the same energy, but over a longer period where the body's more able to use it. Also, other sugars tend to come from sources that contain other nutrients like vitamin and minerals, and also an amount of undigestible roughage for keeping your insides nice and clean.

As long as there is no alternative, i.e. no other (Linux) mini-pc with keyboard and good game controls the price can be pretty high. And it would be foolish if ED would ask less if there is still demand at current price level. Only if demand drops it is time for another price tag or Pandora 2 

also.. sugar is bad bad bad..  and yes.. also the sugar in fruits (google: Gary Taubes and Lustig)  

I suspect there is a price point where the Pandora's all-in-one portability is balanced out by a cheap laptop and a PSP; that is, someone looking at a Pandora may consider that the price is too high to justify the portability and will simply carry a small laptop to do their work. On the other hand, if you can lower the price to a certain point you will also hit a market of people with some extra money that think it is cool even if they don't have a use for the full set of features.

The correct price is in between these two points.

True. As someone who already has a Linux desktop and a laptop, I must confess that I was floored by the NVidia Shield's hardware and pricepoint. I'm really struggling with myself whether or not having an ultra portable linux PC is worth twice the price when my main reason for wanting a Pandora was retro-gaming. I kinda wished Shield was 600$. In that case the openess of the Pandora would have won over the superior hardware. But at 300...

I can tell you off the bat that there are more emulators and most of them if not all of the emulators on the Pandora are better than those made for Android.  Perhaps the exception is Drastic, but Exophase is optimizing it for the Pandora too.

I can tell you off the bat that there are more emulators and most of them if not all of the emulators on the Pandora are better than those made for Android.  Perhaps the exception is Drastic, but Exophase is optimizing it for the Pandora too.
Interesting. I knew about the quantity but heard multiple times how the android emulators were excellent.

Also, though I don't doubt the genius of the members of the Pandora developer community, there's bound to be more developers on the Android platform.

Of course, I think it's Trashy that mentioned it to me in another thread, the Pandora is much better equipped for emulating computers with its full keyboard. But in my case I'm more interested in console emulation having not played with those old computer systems (such as C64, ZX Spectrum, etc...). Though there's a couple of old DOS game that I'd enjoy playing again on handheld format.

Has anyone ran Android on the Pandora and then ran n64oid. I'd just like to know how the preformance is on the Pandora, specifically super smash bros.

Back