The current Pandoras price tag

knightron

Lets face, the Pandora is expensive. I live in Australia, and paid about $600 for my 1ghz Pandora. I love my Pandora, but personally don't think it's worth that much. I'm not here to complain about that though. I also own a Motorolla razr hd too. I have quite a disliking for this phone. It is on a plan; which all up will lead me to pay at a minimal $800, once the plan is up; which it defiantly isn't worth. I never complain about the motorollas price though because it's on a plan and it 'feels' like less. Mobile phones on plans are becoming more and more popular. The other day i saw an old friend and she even stated she knew no one on prepaid anymore. Other devices such as tablets are also adopting plans. I think it's a fare statement to make that the Pandora can compete quite well against these devices in capabilities.

My point here is; i'm quite confident that the Pandoras biggest deterrent is the big price tag. If the Pandora distributors are able to enforce a plan like structure (probably better by default) so people are paying about 50 Australian dollars a month, (sorry i couldn't be bothered converting to Euro or US dollars) they'll have the device paid off in one year and they won't be so put off by the price tag.

People are very willing to pay outrages prices for mobile devices through plans (even including me, sigh) so why wouldn't it work for the Pandora.

It would take a lot of work i'd imagine, by the Open Pandora distributors, but it may be worth it, leading them to selling more units; able to lower prices; attract more people; and there for more devs; and then more programs available which in turn attracts more people ect; = win win.

What distributors? The Pandora is not sold by companies sitting on cash, and such plans are only standardized in the phone contract systems, where you de facto register for 2 year with the same operator.

This kind of contract would only be enforcable locally and the Pandora is not even remotely available in every country.

Not sure why this is in P2 Spam.

This has been discussed before, seem to remember that Craig put the idea forward but nothing came of it.

The major problem would be chasing up those who did not pay / got behind on their payments. This would be a major issue for a very small company such as OP GmbH. How would a small German company chase up non payers in Australia?

You're right that the price of the Pandora is bound to have a negative effect on sales but due to the realities of the situation (small manufacturing runs / no after sales profits from app sales) my understanding is that the retail price is more or less as low as it can be.

Buy a Pandora with a Credit card? You pay it monthly in small chunks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of us feel the Pandora is worth every penny.

I personally would instantly pay that money again for the P2, maybe even a bit more.

However i would understand that its un managable for people in some country's, like Brazil, China, etch, but that cant be helped.

Not sure why this is in P2 Spam.

This has been discussed before, seem to remember that Craig put the idea forward but nothing came of it.

The major problem would be chasing up those who did not pay / got behind on their payments. This would be a major issue for a very small company such as OP GmbH. How would a small German company chase up non payers in Australia?

You're right that the price of the Pandora is bound to have a negative effect on sales but due to the realities of the situation (small manufacturing runs / no after sales profits from app sales) my understanding is that the retail price is more or less as low as it can be.
I'm not proposing lowering the price tag, i'm just proposing payment plan option. I'm not a busness man and haven't put a whole lot of thought into the idea either. I just had the idea and wanted others opinions.

About following up the non-payers; perhaps they could raise the price a little and use a middle man (like eb games) to sell the console under the plan method in foreign countries.

Again, OP GMBH is too small of a company to have someone like eb games want to sell their products. OP doesnt have the lawyers and backlog of money to get into the monthly payment plan. As suggested, a credit card purchase is your best option. Plus it would stop the phone idiots from buying an OP because they think paying $50/month for 2 years is cheaper then paying $600 once

I'm totally opposing to lower the price tag.

Sony didn't enter the US electronics market until it stopped offering sales. LV and BOSS never lowered their price tags, and they are doing good.

It's good if ED can produce pandora 2 cheaper, but it's not good to sell it cheaper. ED needs that extra bit of money to continue P2's support for many years after it's release.

We don't want to see him pushing out a new model every 3 month, do we?

If P2 is sold as a kind of recreational tool or portable office computer, then even $800 is not expensive as long as it's good.

$600 to $700 is a good price range if ED can guarantee the apps we want will be ported with ease. (CAD, SAGE, Qemu, libreoffice and all other good stuffs. Pandora 1 is a bit underpowered for these)

This being said, people who insist P2 should abandon backwards compatibility (or adding any gimmicky trash) in favour of some ridiculous x86 socs or dual screens should be hanged in public then fed to flu infested pigs.

We've had this discussion before.. the Pandora is a product you own completely and utterly. no upsell. no ads. no marketing. It's close enough to FOSS.

You can do whatever you want with it with no limitations. No jail breaking. No app store requiring your credit card.

Amazon sell the kindle for under cost because they know people will spend lots of money on ebooks and they'll make up the difference. plus the ad supported units.. and the marketing analytical money.

You're talking about some kind of hire-purchase agreements here, I think.  You really need some kind of local agent to work such a system, to collect payments and send round the bailiffs if money (or returned Pandora) is not forthcoming.  It's the sort of scheme which can potentially be quite damaging to your reputation, so you generally need to keep the separation between the manufacturer and the lender quite obvious.

You'd also better have stock of Pandoras so you can send them out as soon as people want them.  It's one think committing to 18 months/24 months/more of future repayments, it's quite another when that might start in 2 months from now, when your situation might well have changed.

I'm totally opposing to lower the price tag.

Sony didn't enter the US electronics market until it stopped offering sales. LV and BOSS never lowered their price tags, and they are doing good.

It's good if ED can produce pandora 2 cheaper, but it's not good to sell it cheaper. ED needs that extra bit of money to continue P2's support for many years after it's release.

We don't want to see him pushing out a new model every 3 month, do we?
The only reason the Pandora is at the current price is because he's a saint who's trying to fix the clusterfuck of craigs 500 strong preorder list..

oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg

The only reason the Pandora is at the current price is because he's a saint who's trying to fix the clusterfuck of craigs 500 strong preorder list..
But pandora has become so much more now. It's no longer a beefed up GP2x. It has so much going for it that it's well worth that 600 bucks.

Selling P2 cheap is not going to do it a lot more. It will only let a lot of people who don't need pandora to get one. (there are many emulation alternatives, such as gcw and those android handheld)

We can build pandora in China for much less and starting selling it for like 250 bucks (making a few bucks for every pandora sold via on-line retailers), but we won't have much spare capitcal kicking around for improving it. Sure more people will get pandora, but the project will also be in a worse situation.

I would love to see ED getting a lot more from P2 and thus enable him to support the device more. More context, more pandora give away and more everything. Pandora is not exactly cheap to develop, it easily costs a few mils even before its production.

I would rather have one expensive linux pandora that does many jobs well than having one cheap android pandora that bare even works.

No, It's not. Otherwise we would not have to deal with the Pandora releated chinese incababilities ;)
You can get good products from the Chinese, but you need to send your Q&A team and a few quality assurance dudes there to make sure they do as you told them to. It's possible for big companies like Apple to have their things made there, but not very likely for ED.

That being said, if ED want to have pandora produced in China, he probably can.

The core of the problem is the mentality behind Chinese manufacturers. The company designed and made GCW's hardware, will push out an updated version of GCW within a few month. (with all kinds of exotic features) If ED let them make pandora, who knows what will happen. They probably will make some UMPC android knock-offs that having almost the same hardware and can have Pandora's os flashed onto it. That is bad. The other problem being their lacking of rules and ethics. If they can make something cheaper even by a few cents, they will. They won't care about how much failure rate that will cause or what future inconvinient it would produce. They don't care if their customers got bite in the arses because of their fault. So, you have had to watch them closely and tell them exactly what you want, leaving them no space of "interpreting". This makes having them a massive pain in the necks if even you don't know what's going on.

There is nothing hard about populating PCBs and assembling electronics. The hard part is to nail down all the details that can cause failures, and minimise the risks of producing faulty hardwares. This is what makes producing in Germany superior. German technicians know what they are doing, and knows the meaning behind all the numbers given by programs. This being said, if P2 is big enough of a project, we can certain have the german gentlemen prototyping P2 and have the Chinese making them. It would be a bit hard to start, but if we can some how extend our target market and have all kinds of people interested, it will pay off in the long run.

Back