The Case for a Swivel Hinge

asdfffdsa

Still Fresh
In the thread that raised the idea of an e-ink screen on the back of the device, I got to thinking about the current dilemma I (and many others I assume) are facing with the advantages / disadvantages of having a full blown computer in your pocket vs a smartphone with streamlined features.

In the case of the "computer in your pocket," the advantage is that you're not really limited.  To be succinct: (1) you have very capable software that you have complete control over (not just some Toy OS), and (2) the hardware does not limit you (i.e. you have a full blown keyboard that's useful for things beyond text messaging, and then also gaming controls, expansion ports, etc etc).  These advantages are of much more importance than the smartphone's, but the reason I'm making this thread is that a different hinge may enable the Pyra to have the advantages of both.

The advantages of the smartphone are the streamlined features made possible by a simple touchscreen interface--in particular that the touchscreen itself can be used with one hand.  This makes it useful for IMing/texting, phone calls, simple web browsing, as an MP3 player, reading books, mindless touchscreen games (all of that silly stuff on the Google Play store), etc etc.  Personally I feel that compared to a smartphone the openpandora feels way too cumbersome for these things.  And yes, this may seem a trivial advantage (yes, it's easy to say "just put everything down and use both hands you lazy bastard!"), but only until one is accustomed to using a smartphone can one see how much of a big deal this is.

The fact is that when you're out and about and are not in a position to drop everything, stop what you're doing and sit down (i.e. 95% of the time), the pandora doesn't see any use.  Therefore, I often find myself taking my comparatively crummy, hand-me-down smartphone (Motorola Droid 2) with me instead of the openpandora.  And then, of course, I get frustrated when the Toy OS and the input scheme limit me.  Also one must now synchronize data and configuration between both devices.

For this reason, I think using a swivel hinge would be a great idea (here is an example of a laptop with one, and here's one with an alternative hinge-type that "sports two hinges and opens up 360 degrees over itself when converting into tablet mode").  WIth this relatively simple and cheap (I assume) change, the Pyra will not need to sacrifice any of the "computer in your pocket" features and opens up the potential for all of the streamlined smartphone features.  It would truly become an "everything device" and I assume without much additional cost.  And with the 3G module installed (or a USB device) this change could destroy the insane status quo of smartphones and handheld computers being distinguished from each other (even though they should by all means be capable of doing the same things).

And I ask that before anyone makes a sarcastic comment (e.g. about ponies or the holodeck experience :) ), realize that this is "just" a different hinge--not an additional screen or anything.  This would of course require redesigning the case but it is hardly an excessive suggestion and there would be dramatic benefits.  And for people that hate smartphones and prefer the distinction (why they would prefer the "artificial" redundancy, I do not know) this would not affect them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be forgetting that the Pyra will have a resistive screen, not a capacitive one.

Also, the software will be optimized for precision stylus (mouse) use, not fat inaccurate fingers.

I would also like to be able to use the Pyra in tablet mode (but with the stylus), however... far more will need to be done to make it anything other than a frustrating experience for one handed use, apart from simply changing the hinge (which actually wouldn't be that simple).

Optimising the Pyra for one handed use is probably even more of a lost cause than trying to optimise it for making and receiving phone calls...

Let's say that this doesn't have a 0 to none chance of happening. I think Lenovo IdeaPad hinge would be ideal to solve problems and have the less complexity.

This can be done even with one big hinge.

A swivel hinge is a lovely idea. It is also one that has been discussed very, very thoroughly. The outcome every time ends up along the lines of it not being a simple modification at all (but rather a quite complex one), and most reasonable designs being patented by people who are not known for their tolerant behavior towards small-time companies. 

Ya bro, this isnt a new concept. It has been discussed ad nausium. But while I would fucking LOVE to have a tablet mode, I have to defer judgment to the engineers on the board who unanimously say its not worth the large effort it would take

Opening the lid is not really a big effort, especially not compared to opening the lid, rotating the screen and closing it again for "tablet mode".

Operating something as thick as a closed-lid Pyra with just one hand is not really that comfortable. Also note that you can operate an open-lid Pandora with one hand; of course it's not very comfortable and you're limited to one half of the game controls (e.g. dpad, left nub, left shoulder), but it's possible.

Operating something as thick as a closed-lid Pyra with just one hand is not really that comfortable.
IMO, that's debatable. If I had a screen on the outside or a swivel-lid, I don't think I would have any trouble using it that way. However, I would not want to sacrifice the durability of the lid by making it a swivel lid.

-God Ginrai

IMO, that's debatable. If I had a screen on the outside or a swivel-lid, I don't think I would have any trouble using it that way. However, I would not want to sacrifice the durability of the lid by making it a swivel lid.

-God Ginrai
Why would that lid be effected?

Why would that lid be effected?
A swivel lid is connected to the base at only one point of contact. A normal hinge lid has more points of contact. Also, the swivel mechanism is more complex, and more complex things have more points of failure.

-God Ginrai

A swivel lid is connected to the base at only one point of contact. A normal hinge lid has more points of contact. Also, the swivel mechanism is more complex, and more complex things have more points of failure.

-God Ginrai
I see. Seem like IdeaPad Yoga-like hinge is the way to go then, if it was change.

^ I really like this idea :)

So the "only" change would be that the lid could be opened up to almost 360 degrees (instead of about 180).

There would be also a need to toggle on/off the keyboard, so it can be kept in the pocket when it is opened without accidentally pressing random keys (or buttons :) ) all the time

There would be also a need to toggle on/off the keyboard, so it can be kept in the pocket when it is opened without accidentally pressing random keys (or buttons :) ) all the time
Well, aside from the fact that the Pandora already has one, you are abandoning the point of a clamshell by putting it in your pocket while open that way. The reason clamshells exist is to protect the screen. :\

-God Ginrai

you are abandoning the point of a clamshell by putting it in your pocket while open that way. The reason clamshells exist is to protect the screen. :\
There is no universal edict that says all users must abide by the designer's intended usage for the design or by general notions about why certain designs exist.  If the user feels it's worth risking damage to their screen (and I hardly see this being a problem--people do this every day with their smart phones) because they feel the "tablet mode" brings them more utility, then "abandoning the point of a clamshell" becomes a very good thing.  A swivel hinge or a hinge like the IdeaPad's gives the user a choice and (assuming such a modification didn't introduce other substantial flaws) having a choice in this is better.

But it's looking like this idea has already been well vetted and rejected by the development team.  There is of course the IdeaPad design, but it looks like the Pyra is too thick for that design and I'm guessing there's a patent minefield there too.

There is no universal edict that says all users must abide by the designer's intended usage for the design or by general notions about why certain designs exist.  If the user feels it's worth risking damage to their screen (and I hardly see this being a problem--people do this every day with their smart phones) because they feel the "tablet mode" brings them more utility, then "abandoning the point of a clamshell" becomes a very good thing.  A swivel hinge or a hinge like the IdeaPad's gives the user a choice and (assuming such a modification didn't introduce other substantial flaws) having a choice in this is better.
There is also no universal edict that says that a manufacturer should make it easier for users to break their devices. This would only lead to warranty disputes. ("You made it so that I could lock the keyboard, you obviously planned for it to be used in this manner!")

-God Ginrai

Back