Case material and strength

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
Some months ago ED mentioned that he was considering carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic for the Pyra case. Is that still an option, or did it turn out to be a dead end?

Of course the material is not the only thing that determines the strength of the case; the design also matters (thickness, connection points etc).

A strong case is quite important to me, since it is the main thing to determine the physical robustness of the device. One of the main advantages of a clamshell device with no moving parts (except for the hinge obviously) is that it can be extremely sturdy.

This is an area where a lot of improvement is possible compared to the Pandora: even though my Pandora is a clamshell and my smartphone is not, I'd rather accidentally drop my smartphone than my Pandora (and not just because I like my Pandora more).

I vote for single-body milled tungsten alloy :­D (/joke)

But honestly, since EvilDragon is now working with a new company for the case, I would assume that they are more practiced with this sort of thing. That coupled with EvilDragons previous venture with the Pandora, I don't think we will even need carbon-fiber reinforced plastics. Though if they are used I wouldn't complain.

It's also entirely possible that the company itself holds plastics testing that could solve the issue in http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16543-pyra-case-strength-testing/

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of using carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic, this stuff seems to be very strong and not that expencive as it sounds (even available for home 3D printers those days). :)

However, besides the material, the actual design of the Pyra can also have a big effect of how durable the unit will be. Alot of this stuff has already be discussed (screw holes, hinge, etc) so I hope, the Designers take care to eliminate all of the faults in the Pandora Design to optimize it for a much more durable Pyra.

I expect that this will be the standard example of durability, nothing less for the Pyra:

360px-Gameboy.jpg

I think a device that can be put to use will get more use. Durability always wins.

Maybe a silicone cover 'sock' type cover could be added as an option. It seems to be very popular with the iphoner-crowd.

Its difficult with all the holes for ports, so what about edge protectors?

↓corner protection

-------

|  ''''''''''''

|  '     ←actual device

'  

I had something like that in mind years back for the Pandora. A rubber cover that works with the clamshell design so it can be still attached if the device is open. No clue how exactly this has to be made to work but "rubber corners" look already pretty solid itself onto every device. ^^ Something like a Panasonic "Toughbook".

Nice design. Corners are similar to other corners, so it should be possible to adapt sometihing. Even if it has to be glued on.

Had something like
bumprz-closeup.jpg
in mind

Its a bit of a stopgap measure though. Hopefully the whole device can be made in pre-rough metal casing by someone, for those that need that, that would solve almost all problems but the waterproofing.

Back