The biggest computer/gaming mistake you have ever made.

Sounds nice! What was the problem?

I have a Hyperspin Setup myself and im planning to build a xbmc-hyperspin htpc myself.
It was very nice in some regards. I had the latest version Hyperspin 3.0. installed.. also had PC games installed. Used Windows 7 Ultimate as my OS.

The main problem was that after all that time and investment I wasn't where I wanted to be with it. So I sold  and lost a bit of $$ selling it .  :(

Also had Hyperpin with over 700 pinball games. This was one of the reasons I went without a Pandora all this time. I sold them for this investment.

In other words, I think I bit off more than I could chew. I still have some regrets but I just didn't/don't have the time or patients for it right now.

It is an ongoing process with Hyperspin for there are always updates,patches,additions ,etc...

The Hyperspin/Sync/Hyperpin and EmuMovies community is pretty supportive. No complaints there.

Glad I am getting my new Pandora tomorrow and although it cannot handle what Hyperspin can I still am excited. It still is the best handheld emulator kit out there.

Good luck with yours and if I may be of help let me know.

Last edited:
I had bought myself a dreamcast game and was excited to play it. to my unfortunous adventures that day. i had no money to buy a refurbished dreamcast to play my newfangled game

that is why i bought a desktop to play it (all games run on Windows CE)

i bought an original DS. worst mistake ever.

I bought a 3DS best day ever.

I bought an n64 and my childhood was relived.

i bought a nokia. I cant seem to destroy it.

I still have my nokia to this date. its crimson red and it still makes calls. (it accepts AA batteries. which is odd.)

I once used to play skyrim all day. untill i switched it to a higher difficulty.

I wish i never bought the pandora. if i had waited i could have had the PYRA. (but to play stepmania anywhere? thats a selling point.) ((if the pyra does not have stepmania ported. i will most likely ignore it.... if the controls are 6. il still buy it. if its 7. -avoid like the plague for any music based game.
I have the same nokia. Its indestructible

~K.B.

Nooooo! You can't say the Dreamcast was a mistake!

This Atom N270 based netbook is perhaps one of my biggest mistakes. It's not the sub-HD resolution, or tiny keyboard, the slow CPU or even the laggardly GPU - it's that I was taken in by Intel's promises that it'd be a low-power platform, wheras I'm currently using its fan output to keep my hands warm in between typing. Still, I'm glad I got a netbook rather than a tablet - even this reduced size clackety keyboard is better than a touchscreen for my uses. No idea what I'm going to buy when it comes time to replace this machine.
for the love of god. Dont buy HP.

~K.B.

Haha! Good thread. Here is my history of fail:

-Trusting palm: Had a very nice experience with PalmOS devices and still have two tapwave zodiacs (tapwave is a history of fail on it's own but I got my units used and cheap)... because the iPhone was all the hype back then and I really wanted a smartphone I was very excited about the PalmPre and got one on release. WebOS is still the best smartphone OS I have ever used but the hardware was built like a cheap plastic toy. After a month of use the touch screen became loose from the slide-out keyboard. Consequently the touch screen stopped working. From then on it was an RMA nightmare. Sent it in 3 times for repair/exchange and they just fixed it and it would break again after a week. O2 in Germany tried to cheat me out of my 480€ and it took half a year and a lawyer to get my money back. I wish my droid 4 would run WebOS instead of screwy android...

-Being too excited about an arcade machine deal: A year ago I bought my first arcade cabinet (hopefully I will be able to buy a second one) and drove out with a buddy to pick up a pretty banged up Sega Naomi Universal. The offer said it had a multisync screen. Since I wanted to run NeoGeo MVS I thought: perfect! I'll just build a control panel and everything will be awesome. I AM AN IDIOT! I DID NOT CHECK THE SCREEN AT THE WAREHOUSE!!! When we brought the heavy mofo into my flat I opened the screen up to find out that there was nothing more than the tube inside. And the tube was shot aswell, it had a huge burn hole in the center, where the glass was actually pinholed by the beams. I restaurated the whole thing and it has a really nice control panel now, decent powersupply but sadly I had to switch the broken screen for a 29" TV screen. That sucks because the display quality is crap compared to an actual 15khz arcade monitor and for true naomi gaming there is no 31khz mode so I had to buy a capcom converter which set me back another 180€ and the picture is horrible. At least I got an 80€ rebate from the cab seller...

-Buying ASrock motherboards without doing some research first: Bought a cheap motherboard to get with the PCI-Express crowd and an Nvidia gpu along with cpu and new ram. The board supported SATA aswell as IDE which was great for me since I did not have to replace all hardware. Well the graphics adapter needed 8x PCI-E and the board said it would support that speed. After two years of running linux and really strange gpu bugs and occasional driver issues I had to install windows for some application at work and tried to no avail to install gpu drivers. None of the driver hacks would work, nothing worked. I almost went crazy over this! Then I finally figured it might be some problem with the motherboard. Did a quick internet search and guess what: The PCI-E slot was some weird hardware emulation that was actually based on AGP?!?! I have no idea what the exact terms for this are and I never had heard of it before, but apparently they used some weird hack to get rid of some old chips and the PCI-E support wasn't really 100% compliant and far from being able to reach 8x speed. So yeah, I ran that computer for 2 years on linux until booting windows only to find out my graphics card isn't actually compatible... at least under linux I was able to play minecraft eventhough it would crash occasionally.

EDIT: Forgot about the biggest one! Bought an asus transformer prime on release. 600€ for a very nice looking tablet/keyboard combo with tegra3... well the aluminum case also completely blocked the gps and barely left signal for the wifi. worst. hardware. design. ever... how could they not have noticed this in testing? Asus offered a fix for the gps: they crossed it out of the features list on the product webpage... lol. Actually a year later they send out free gps dongles and I got one. Still, what a major F up. Wifi still sucks worse than pandoras.

ps: anyone have a 29" crt with a multisync chassis they want to get rid of? possibly close to Dortmund or the western german border or owning a private helicopter delivery company?

Last edited by a moderator:
-Trusting palm: Had a very nice experience with PalmOS devices and still have two tapwave zodiacs (tapwave is a history of fail on it's own but I got my units used and cheap)... because the iPhone was all the hype back then and I really wanted a smartphone I was very excited about the PalmPre and got one on release. WebOS is still the best smartphone OS I have ever used but the hardware was built like a cheap plastic toy. After a month of use the touch screen became loose from the slide-out keyboard. Consequently the touch screen stopped working. From then on it was an RMA nightmare. Sent it in 3 times for repair/exchange and they just fixed it and it would break again after a week. O2 in Germany tried to cheat me out of my 480€ and it took half a year and a lawyer to get my money back. I wish my droid 4 would run WebOS instead of screwy android...
I've used (and abused) my Pre2 for well over two years. I love it. I'm really not looking forward to the day I have to change to Android or iOS. webOS is definitely my ideal mobile OS. Sadly HP treated the brand like shit and just pumped out mup hardware and mismanaged it (webOS) to death.

I bought a netbook in 2011 that didn't have nvidia ion in it, it had a terrible integrated intel graphics, with 8 megabytes of graphics memory. I really should have searched online for one with a better card, the thing struggled to even play half-life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resident Evil 6, I enjoyed RE5 as a dumb fun couch coop game with a friend and we were hoping the same of RE6 with our low expectations and not being able to take the series seriously.... Boy were we wrong...

Resi 6 is the only game in the whole proper Resi game series I've never finished - not because it's hard, either. I went through every other Resi title half a dozen+ times (even the DLC for RE5) - I absolutely love them. RE6 really is piss-poor. :(

I had an Earthbound cartridge.

After my SNES kicked the bucket (irresposibility on my part), I wanted to get rid of some of my SNES games. I ended up selling all 12 of my SNES games, Earthbound included. The whole stack sold for $120, Earthbound making up most of that cost.

Should've kept it. One of my favorite games from back then. Loved it.

When my family was packing to move to I wasn't paying attention to the SEGA Genesis under the tv. To remove it, my mom cut the power cord and threw it and the games away. I regret that I was focusing on studying for the reagent tests and not paying attention to what matters, saving my old games from the dump.

Can we count synths as computers?  Mine can be programmed so technically...

Begging family for a MicroKorg XL

Wanted something with a little more on it, so the XL it was.  Korg brought out the XL+ a year or two ago, but this machine I have now is obsolete.

The weird part is this model isn't programmable like the XL+, but they're essentially the same (the XL+ having a couple more features than this).  Music stores don't sell this model anymore, so it feels like Korg did a incremental upgrade and made this obsolete rather quick.

Seeing mostly just hipsters on YouTube making noise rather than music with this thing is a bit of a disappointment, has so much potential on its own.  Nobody seems to stretch the limits of this thing (using a sampler is a little trick for drums but would consider it cheating for notes).

My only regret is not utilizing it enough.
Hi zev,

same here with a Novation Mininova synth. I also tinkered with the Microkorg (however, I liked the original Microkorg better than the XL(+) variants). But then I decided for the Mininova because it's technically more innovative and sounds better than the (original) Microkorg. Much too little time to play on it, though. Same for the Roland Jupiter-50 I bought this year. Excellent synth, great sounds. But requires much time to learn everything, especially integration into a DAW environment is not trivial with the J50.

Btw: I have a Roland SH-201 for sale. Anyone interested? ;-)

Daniel

Mybe also a Mistake was to buy a Gameboy Micro rather then the GBA SP,

I wantet to play my old Gameboygames (Tetris, Mario Land, Nemesis) on it, and the cool GBA Games,

It was bevore my Internet Time, so i wasnt apple to know it cant play gameboygames..

For GBA Games, it was a realy cool device, whit a nice display, and it was realy pocketfreandly for a Gameboy..

Mybe this was the reason i bought a Pandora, to play my old Gameboy games..

(i also have the original Gameboy, but four AA Batteries is a bit much for mario..)

Whyle i waitet for the Pandora, i bought me a used Gameboy Advance SP, in blue..

Back