The Another Try To Improve Gp2x's Stick

Honestly I don't think this is practical.  It may be ok sometimes but screw other things up.  It doesn't keep you from hitting a diagonal it just delays it.  So you will still get the unwanted diagonal it will just take a little longer to notice it because of the lag.  And what happens when you WANT a diagonal and it doesn't register right away? Then people will complain of laggy diagonals.

Actually none of these apps are just "delaying" diagonals. They acts like a noise gate so shorter events (with time between buttondown and buttonup being lower than a thereshold) are completely filtered out.

First version is the most basic.

The second has strength for "dynamic gating" what will turn off filter if stick is iddle for some time so average lag can be shorter.
(and is imho overall the best)

The 3rd is an experimental version and I'm fully aware that such things can only get you so far.

People can complain about everything but does it mean I should forget about it all?
I had an idea and was interested in testing it. I see nothing bad in that I make results of my research public.

The only solution is to fix the stick by rotating, or modding for best controls.

Rotating will not fix much because the gp2x's stick problems are beyond the bias. There is no discrete mechanical movements in it (unlike the DPAD) so it will never will be accurate. Only full fix would be complete replacement of stock stick.

I never said it was "bad" that you did it. I am just saying I doubt it will make games more playable.

Complete replacement? Yeah, that would be the best but how to get GPH to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
No offence, but you are the guy who recommended case configurations, I hardly think you can complain about this not being practical!
Do you think that writing immensely optimized emulators that run at 133mhz @ fs0 is practical as well.
Ooooh you twist and turn!

Ok so since I recommended case configurations I must agree with everything else no matter what?

Optimized emulators don't make sense? Huh? Making slow emulators clocked to 266 MHz are practical? I don't get it :rolleyes:

You make absolutely no sense. It seems you just like to flame.
It is very unpractical for devs to have to write everything from ground up. And to have to spend huge ammounts of time optimizing and giving into your whims.
I know that as an enduser it is nice to get something that can be played at a very low clockspeed and still be perfect etc... But it would be damn right ungrateful of me to expect that. Can you not see that?

Besides what I was saying is that, for some reason you don't want to acknowledge that this guy has another way other than yours that could help make the joystick easier to use, and that other developers have all said that this should work and is ingenious.
However you then tell him you don't think it would work and it is impractical. What I am saying is that so much of the other things you have been asking for are also impractical.

Sense. I make.

Hmmm... I think that DaveC and Hanz are talking about practicality from opposite ends of the spectrum:

DaveC From the end users prespective
Hanz from the Developers end

Taking that into account, both of you are correct, just from different viewpoints.

Basically it just boils down to Developing vs Usability. Programmers like to hack away at stuff and most of the time not worry about user interface because they like to solve the problem and once its solved, move on. Then you get a good portion to optimise the damn thing as far as they can. Then you get the elite few who actually put a decent front end to it.

No offence, but you are the guy who recommended case configurations, I hardly think you can complain about this not being practical!
Do you think that writing immensely optimized emulators that run at 133mhz @ fs0 is practical as well.
Ooooh you twist and turn!

Ok so since I recommended case configurations I must agree with everything else no matter what?

Optimized emulators don't make sense? Huh? Making slow emulators clocked to 266 MHz are practical? I don't get it :rolleyes:

You make absolutely no sense. It seems you just like to flame.
It is very unpractical for devs to have to write everything from ground up. And to have to spend huge ammounts of time optimizing and giving into your whims.
I know that as an enduser it is nice to get something that can be played at a very low clockspeed and still be perfect etc... But it would be damn right ungrateful of me to expect that. Can you not see that?

Besides what I was saying is that, for some reason you don't want to acknowledge that this guy has another way other than yours that could help make the joystick easier to use, and that other developers have all said that this should work and is ingenious.
However you then tell him you don't think it would work and it is impractical. What I am saying is that so much of the other things you have been asking for are also impractical.

Sense. I make.

Stop making stuff up. I never said I "expect" perfect emulators.

As far as acknowledging this way of handling the stick, I am just saying I don't see how it will help improve control. I can't say that I don't think it will work? I can't have any opinions? I have to agree with every idea? I backed up why I don't think it will work above with examples. If you think I am wrong and it *will* work then back that up with reasons why it will work, not with flames and rhetoric. If you are right then fine, it works and I was mistaken.

Stop making stuff up. I never said I "expect" perfect emulators.

You never actually said you expect perfect emulators, true, but you constantly complain unless they are upto your "standard".

For example, some people talk about gp2xengine running at 75% speed, but no bigee, just overclock to 220Mhz and it's fine. But what do you say?

Having to overclock to 220 MHz is ridiculous for a PCEngine emu.

I'd take that (along with lots of other people) as an expectation, wouldn't you? It's certainly not an observation or simple opinion.

Stop making stuff up.  I never said I "expect" perfect emulators. 

You never actually said you expect perfect emulators, true, but you constantly complain unless they are upto your "standard".

For example, some people talk about gp2xengine running at 75% speed, but no bigee, just overclock to 220Mhz and it's fine. But what do you say?

I'd take that (along with lots of other people) as an expectation, wouldn't you? It's certainly not an observation or simple opinion.

Putting that back into context in which it was written, I agree with DaveC that having to overclock to 220MHz is ridiculous for a PC Engine Emu running on a GP2X when a GP32 can do it at a lower clock speed.

However, it could have been more eloquently put and acknowledged the achievement so soon after launch along with hope for full speed emulation at lower clock speed at a point in the future.

Stop making stuff up.  I never said I "expect" perfect emulators. 

I think it is an observation. My observation is that the resources required for a PC-Engine emu seem steep compared to what was already available on the GP32. I made a guess that linux was hogging resources, maybe that is wrong I don't know. If I expected it I would say "where is my fullspeed PC-engine emu"

Well it is just a word game now. I can see how you think that though. I guess I shouldn't ever complain. I will just make helpful suggestions (except those related to speed) from now on. If I don't like the quality I should just not use it, STFU and wait for a better one I suppose.

Back