The 256X256X256 Thread

I approve this thread ... and this thread needs more low poly art and less chatting (heh ... oops)

Suggestions? Okay, well I've already gotten the models from the "Gridwars inspired game" thread integrated into my hacky game engine .. but I'd like to request *more* models in that style of things ..

I've been playing a lot of Juno First lately, I'm really a fan of the rythmn and feel of this old arcade classic and thus I would really like to have a stage in my Gridwars-'ish game that is similar in play style to Juno First.. so maybe someone wants to have a look at that game and see if they can come up with nice models based on that inspiration? An egg/human model, a couple of aliens, maybe a mothership or two ..

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
Suggestions? Okay, well I've already gotten the models from the "Gridwars inspired game" thread integrated into my hacky game engine .. but I'd like to request *more* models in that style of things ..

I've been playing a lot of Juno First lately, I'm really a fan of the rythmn and feel of this old arcade classic and thus I would really like to have a stage in my Gridwars-'ish game that is similar in play style to Juno First.. so maybe someone wants to have a look at that game and see if they can come up with nice models based on that inspiration? An egg/human model, a couple of aliens, maybe a mothership or two ..
I made a basic Reconizer from Tron
recognizer.jpg

What site should I be using to upload the obj and mtl file?

My lame attempt :p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1st go at using blender, should be under the triangle limit :) , also very a n00b at gimp which I used to create the texture map. I did this by exporting UV as TGA and then creating a new layer to draw on, with it's alpha set to .8 so I could see the UV cords and then setting it back to 1 before saving.

Did a quick sketch in max today. 112 polys, 226 triangles. no UVs / textures yet.
Maybe for a r-type-of game ? ;) dunno

ship01.jpg

and wire

ship01wire.jpg

I'll unwrap it and do some textures / normal maps if anyone's interested.

download FBX + OBJ for testing.
share it, spread it, FFA

cheers
pix

BlackPixel said:
Did a quick sketch in max today.
It's so beautiful *single tear* That ship definitely deserves a game. Could you do a handful of asteroids, and possibly a UFO? At the very least we could get a wicked asteroids clone running with those.

sinoth said:
BlackPixel said:
Did a quick sketch in max today.
It's so beautiful *single tear* That ship definitely deserves a game. Could you do a handful of asteroids, and possibly a UFO? At the very least we could get a wicked asteroids clone running with those.
Love it... I need to get back to 3D programming, I've put it off too much... I would love to make a Star Fox style game. This thread has me inspired and I should definitely stop farting about and give the 3D part of Penjin some love and get some games out!

BlackPixel, I *love* that ship. There are so many things it could potentially be a part of, and I just got ninja'd by PokeParadox in my thoughts on the matter. :lol:

PokeParadox said:
I would love to make a Star Fox style game. This thread has me inspired and I should definitely stop farting about and give the 3D part of Penjin some love and get some games out!
Oh dude, Star Fox is what I thought of when I saw the ship! :lol: A Pandora-exclusive Star Fox-like game would be incredibly awesome. (Can I help with testing if you do make it? :D)

Prometheus said:
BlackPixel, I *love* that ship. There are so many things it could potentially be a part of, and I just got ninja'd by PokeParadox in my thoughts on the matter. :lol:

PokeParadox said:
I would love to make a Star Fox style game. This thread has me inspired and I should definitely stop farting about and give the 3D part of Penjin some love and get some games out!
Oh dude, Star Fox is what I thought of when I saw the ship! :lol: A Pandora-exclusive Star Fox-like game would be incredibly awesome. (Can I help with testing if you do make it? :D )
It's a very big if... I need to wipe the dust off my GL books... I'm quite rusty, but if the weather continues to be miserable on my days off and glorious while I'm stuck at work, I definitely have something to work on now.
If I get anywhere with this idea, you will most certainly be on the testers list! :D

yaay :D I'm glad you like it! :)
Did anyone manage to test the obj in his engine yet ?

Here's another one : 135 Polys - 252 Triangles
( ignore that yellow thingy - it's a maxlight )

ship02.jpg

wire ( some lines seem to be missing, but its just the usual 3dsmax viewport fck :D )

ship02wire.jpg

This one is more modular than the firs one. You can delete parts of the armor without destroying the base mesh.
In the game one could get upgrades and level up.

ship02upgrades.jpg

download FBX + OBJ

happy testing!
pix

BlackPixel said:
Nope not yet :p I have been blowing dust off my old 3D Model loading code I had. Need a bit more rewriting, unfortunately weekends are when I have the least time as I get all my crappy bar shifts. But... seeing the other ship... I REALLY want to make a StarFox-like game... Star Ferret anyone? :p

PokeParadox said:
BlackPixel said:
Nope not yet :p I have been blowing dust off my old 3D Model loading code I had. Need a bit more rewriting, unfortunately weekends are when I have the least time as I get all my crappy bar shifts. But... seeing the other ship... I REALLY want to make a StarFox-like game... Star Ferret anyone? :p

How about NovaKitsune?

-God Ginrai

Hmmm... I could have sworn the iphone's triangles/texture specs were higher (not that I care anymore anyway, seeing that anything would instantly get lost in a sea of apps).

This is a really good initiative. Incidentally I was about to start modeling my characters in Blender for my isometric SRPG for pre-rendering; perhaps they could do double-duty on a second game! Too bad I still kinda suck at animation, but I will try my best!

What would coders here want in particular? fbx and obj formats suffice? What about the terrain engine?

Are there original (non-ported) 3D games on the Pandora already? In any case it would be nice if there were more. Maybe a simple puzzle-platformer or something like Ico would be doable for a first effort... in a small self-contained world like a big castle or something. Forget open world and MMOs in the meantime. (The only reason I'm not yet overwhelmed by my RPG project is because it's all 2D and menu-driven, pretty light on actual RPG elements, plus I'm only aiming for around 20-30 battles or ~3-4 hrs or so). It's easy to create art assets for a 2D game by taking multiple shots of the same objects or tiling the hell out of things... but with a fully 3D game it takes days to create content and the player can just walk right past them in seconds!

I'm reminded of those contests where artists will just crank out sprites and coders can assemble anything out of those sprites... I wonder if that style will work with 3D games.

PokeParadox said:
BlackPixel said:

A StarFox game would be really nice! Mmmmhhh 2 nub control, yummy :D
Well then get your stuff together and DO IT :p *cough*

Hmmmm we could have a custom file format to store what we need -> vertex + poly arrays, normals, UVs, material properties and even animations or different levels of detail.

Back