The 256X256X256 Thread

el_pango

I'm starting this thread half for fun and half to give Pandora fans with 3D skills a place to showcase their work and/or pair up with coders who want to deliver 3D content, but don't have the time or know-how to build low-poly models themselves.

256 triangles and a 256x256 texture seem like reasonable limits for the target device, but they're not a hard-and-fast rule for this thread - if you've built something awesome that is a little over the limit but would still be considered low-polycount, feel free to post it here and let the world know!

I'll start off (sorry for the horrid image host, I'm not at home and can't ftp to my web server from here):

Stats: 209* tris, 128x128 texmap

She's from an abortive attempt at an MMO I did a few years ago.

*was looking at the wrong window when I posted the initial count.

zhaolin.jpg

This thread needs a link to http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232 (careful, you might waste hours going through the existing 100 pages) :)

zacaj said:
Aww... I thought you meant 256x256x256 voxel models :(
I kinda thought he meant 256 frames of 256 by 256 video.
Possibly raytraced, or possibly an esoteric programming language that accepts images as source code.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm a brown cow and i officially approve of this thread.

Spirit said:
This thread needs a link to http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232 (careful, you might waste hours going through the existing 100 pages) :)
with this annex too.

zacaj said:
Aww... I thought you meant 256x256x256 voxel models :(
I thought he meant 256 x 256 pixel images at 256 colors and was going to ask how to scale them :p

Doesn't really fit the 256tris (it has 2408tris :unsure: ) but does have a 256x256 texture and I'm sure the Pandora could handle this model. It's Scrooge McDuck :D !

2dae1croessiegfried101.jpg

2dae1croessiegfried101d.jpg

Well here is a simple 216 triangle model.

I have been trying to become a 3D Environmental Artist for a while now (Cant do characters at least not scrooge up there), if anybody wants me to make some models for some Pandora projects please let me know I do have a few other examples but kind of messy and out of place. I work in 3Ds Max 2010 and can texture things from Bump to Normal (not too great on normal maps yet).

Artists: Please include links to OBJ's or some such similar format, so us coders can integrate your models in some working code for fun ..

torpor said:
Artists: Please include links to OBJ's or some such similar format, so us coders can integrate your models in some working code for fun ..

good idea :)

some FBX would also be fine because it contains skinning information if available :)

iprice said:
That Scrooge McDuck is awesome :)
+1
Brings back Memories...

Life is like a hurricane
Here in Duckburg
Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes
It's a duck-blur
Might solve a mystery
Or rewrite history

DuckTales (oooh ooooh)
Every day they're out there making
DuckTales (oooh ooooh)
Tales of daring do bad and good
LuckTales (oooh ooooh)

:D

torpor said:
How about some suggestions for us artists so instead of posting random models we can make models for upcoming projects that coders are working on? :)

TylerAW said:
torpor said:
How about some suggestions for us artists so instead of posting random models we can make models for upcoming projects that coders are working on? :)
Make me a Lego Rock Raider mini-figure.

I'm not really working on anything (turns out 3D graphics libraries are difficult to write and Blender sucks considerably, so I'll have to sink hundreds of hours into replicating what the Blender devs failed to do), but someday, a free clone of the Rock Raiders game for Windows needs to happen.

Dragons_Slayer said:
Doesn't really fit the 256tris (it has 2408tris :unsure: ) but does have a 256x256 texture and I'm sure the Pandora could handle this model. It's Scrooge McDuck :D !

2dae1croessiegfried101.jpg

2dae1croessiegfried101d.jpg

I'm expecting a full 3D Duck Tales game from you now. ;) I want to play a homebrew game for the Pandora with graphics like that. ^_^ (And I always loved Duck Tales, Gargoyles, and Darkwing Duck)

-God Ginrai

I would love to work on a 3D Duck Tales project I'm in if anybody else is :)

I added a Wavefront OBJ file loader to the Wakebreaker sources, which compile and run on the Pandora, but I'm having problems with the textures .. maybe I should put this code somewhere so we coders can work with you artists a little closer ..

Which of you artists have Pandoras? Who of the coders in this thread have Pandoras? Lets try to get a basic model-loading demo going for this thread so we can see these objects in action.

OBJ files, gentlemen?

Back