Test the keymat!

Glad to see someone with a screwdriver that isn't afraid to use it.

76260b14397722e98640ce160317a0cd69614a65_hq.jpg

It looks like there is a set of 3 dip switches next to the cell modem chip - does anyone know what the different settings on it do?

Those aren't dip switches, they are the battery contacts.

-Neelix

Edit: Gah... missed that I wasn't on the last page of messages again.

@comradekingu
I'm betting that the black marker use around the power button was to check how the power light looked with lessened light bleed?

That's no black marker. It's the reason only the power button is translucent white:
That's the carbon pad which makes the contact on the PCB. They're always black and they are clearly visible when you have white translucent keys.
Since the power button has an RGB LED (which could, for example be green for a full battery, turning yellow, orange and red the further your battery is depleted), it wasn't that big of an issue.

However, it would look ugly if all keys would be like that.

That's no black marker. It's the reason only the power button is translucent white:
That's the carbon pad which makes the contact on the PCB. They're always black and they are clearly visible when you have white translucent keys.
Since the power button has an RGB LED (which could, for example be green for a full battery, turning yellow, orange and red the further your battery is depleted), it wasn't that big of an issue.

I think he meant the black marker on the case around the power button visible in this picture

Is the order still the same or have people been injected? The reason I ask is I want to know if I'm close as I might not be here. Just got back from my first 2 week bicycle tour and was worried it would get to my house while I was gone but luckily It didn't. In a week I'll be leaving for a 7 week bike tour, well, more or less, and don't want to be gone when it gets here. I want to be home for August 21, the end of the world, just kidding, the lunar eclipse that passes just by my apartment. So this this the list so far?

x Fahrstuhl
x SneHebNor
x gbp
x el joker
x ClockworkCoder
x comradekingu
slaeshjag
edgex004
Grench
Mecksg1
second.exodous
xrandr
Neelix
Kolbász

Has anyone been added or is this still the list? I think I might be safe being back in about 8 weeks with the speed the package is making the rounds but I don't want to be in the middle of a desert 1000 miles from my apartment and get a email saying it is getting to my house. I don't want to drop out but I might have to. If ED can give the the address of the person after me I could make a shipping label now and have my roommate just slap that on and ship it if I am really far from my apartment.

Oh my goodness you took it apart :-O Don't shock me like that! :-D
There was no "you didn't take it apart" in that sentence.

@comradekingu On this picture: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/attachments/img_20170616_131705-jpg.30598/

...are those both Pyra D-Pads? From the picture, they don't look the same.

Yes, and they aren't. On the newest version it was concave all the way out. On the previous ones it is flat on the edges, with a dip in the middle. I prefer that one.

It would go really well with the translucent case though.
20170617_151853.jpg

The carbon pad is round, and it had a white round plastic atop it on at-least one of the keymats.

Here is my idea, make the pad and backing, or the white backing even it out, so that the end result is rectangular, covering the whole key. That way it diffuses the backlight evenly (?), or escapes all along the sides, but more importantly, should have a small improvement on potential key wobble. Or side-fumble, as is the proper nomenclature.

To clarify, the black part of the case is black marker. I was trying to see how well painting the back of it worked. Easier than applying anything to the outside, because you cant see variations to the coating, only the adhesion. I did remove it afterwards.

Is the order still the same or have people been injected?
Allow me (
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
):1476866430829.jpg
x Fahrstuhl
x SneHebNor
x gbp
x * * *
x el joker
x ClockworkCoder
x comradekingu
(The pyra is here)
slaeshjag
edgex004
Grench
Mecksg1
second.exodous
xrandr
Neelix
Kolbász

This is how well sending it on Saturday went:
20170617_154101.jpg
Sorry!
Due to data issues bank services are unavailable.
We can also not deliver cash on delivery packages or
send tracked packages/letters.
With friendly regards, the staff.

Last edited:
Yes, and they [the D-Pads, remark Christoph.Krn] aren't [aren't the same, remark Christoph.Krn]. On the newest version it was concave all the way out. On the previous ones it is flat on the edges, with a dip in the middle. I prefer that one.
@EvilDragon When I previously asked you, the plan was to copy the Pandora D-Pad as closely as possible, what happened?

Well, I should be safe as fast as it is going. Like I said if I can get xrandr's address now I can make a shipping label and have it ready if I'm not here when the package gets here.

My tour looks like it will take a few more weeks than planned. The main stretch is across the souther border of Utah, so I have to plan to go from 'water hole to water hole'. Some days I'll be going 70 or 80 miles and some days only 30. One stretch is 120 miles with a stream that hopefully has water in it, it should run until October, that I'll have to filter. This is practice for riding my bicycle through Mexico. Anyway, I should be back before the package. If it isn't to me by Aug. 21 I might drop out though as after that date I'll be heading towards South America. Fingers crossed.

Time for an instalment of "new person with pyra", while waiting for the post to give it to slaeshjag

This is my aunts experience with typing:
(She is about as novice as they come)

- Feels nice

- What is this, the one that says compose?
(I explain what it does)

But where is space then?

(I say it is the same button)

- But that is compose…
( I think i said "it is both")

- I like that the buttons feel good

- Strange for me, because i don't write like that (she is at it with 10 fingers)
(She switches to holding it with two hands)
I wish there were rubber sides, around the whole cover, I am tired of mobile phone not having the luxurious feel.
She found the nubs slippery too, but i think that is changed.

I think you could make your own silicone side cover areas. However, the material could be a little rougher for more grip.
Adding carbo or glass fiber reinforcing would likely do it (?) But it might then be too stiff to get the screen hinge in easily.

I did grease the hinge, and that helped a lot. I think a aluminium backplate, or the wood one im thinking to get from klumpen, will take it up a lot in terms of feel.
The underplate can also be changed to hardwood without too much effort maybe, as an aftermarket mod.

Edit: As far as having a translucent case goes, painting the inside would get rid of it potentially getting dirty. The stylus was not in, and the case had some dirt in it.

IMG_20170616_120302.jpg

I cleaned that, however the stylus doesn't go all the way in. The area that is just empty is an interesting place for a heatsink.
img_20170616_120454-jpg.30591

img_20170616_120440-jpg.30590

The top right "bulge" is above it. Which is also empty.
This is the left side, which is the side that the screen cable runs through:
img_20170616_131627-jpg.30599

I think it would be finicky to run heatpipes or carbon nanotube tape, but it is all solid state, so once it is in, it doesn't move.

Or you could drill a hole, put a tube in there with an end on it, then plug that hole, and use it as a pill dispenser.

You could also make it an area to store an unused uSD or SIM-card too. The latter is handy if you are on holiday and get/bring a spare one.

Last edited:
Back