1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Test the keymat!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EvilDragon, Apr 22, 2017.

1. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

Time for an instalment of "new person with pyra", while waiting for the post to give it to slaeshjag

This is my aunts experience with typing:
    (She is about as novice as they come)

She found the nubs slippery too, but i think that is changed.

I think you could make your own silicone side cover areas. However, the material could be a little rougher for more grip.
    Adding carbo or glass fiber reinforcing would likely do it (?) But it might then be too stiff to get the screen hinge in easily.

I did grease the hinge, and that helped a lot. I think a aluminium backplate, or the wood one im thinking to get from klumpen, will take it up a lot in terms of feel.
    The underplate can also be changed to hardwood without too much effort maybe, as an aftermarket mod.

Edit: As far as having a translucent case goes, painting the inside would get rid of it potentially getting dirty. The stylus was not in, and the case had some dirt in it.

IMG_20170616_120302.jpg

I cleaned that, however the stylus doesn't go all the way in. The area that is just empty is an interesting place for a heatsink.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top right "bulge" is above it. Which is also empty.
    This is the left side, which is the side that the screen cable runs through:
    [​IMG]
    I think it would be finicky to run heatpipes or carbon nanotube tape, but it is all solid state, so once it is in, it doesn't move.

Or you could drill a hole, put a tube in there with an end on it, then plug that hole, and use it as a pill dispenser.

You could also make it an area to store an unused uSD or SIM-card too. The latter is handy if you are on holiday and get/bring a spare one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    FBnil, el joker, rygD and 5 others like this.
  2. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It arrived today.

Keyboard has a lot lighter to press than I had anticipated. It's simlar in feel to what you'd expect if you shrunk a modern laptop keyboard. I did have some problems with accuracy, but with some practice I'm sure it'll be fine. The spacing really helps, otherwise it would be very easy to hit keys you didn't intend to due to the low resistance. They really are nothing like the pandora keys.

Some other notes:
    I find L2/R2 a lot easier to find than L1/R1, so for the best typing experince, I'd suggest mapping shift/fn to L2/R2.

It is a bit thicker than be pandora, and while brick-shaped to say the least, it did fit somewhat comfortably in my jeans front pocket, even with relatively small pockets as compared to what I'm used to.

The SIM/µSD card slot was very stiff and hard to open, but I got it open, and eventually closed after struggling for a bit.

The game buttons do indeed stick a lot, especially B and Y, but I guess that's what what's already been reported as an issue, and that they aren't final. I also have problems with 0/backspace/P/enter sticking, but I'm not sure if that's because I didn't re-assemble it properly.

I haven't had time to play with the earlier keymats yet.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    AnimatedFreak, kabaiakh, rygD and 4 others like this.
  3. Pyramancer

Pyramancer Active Member

That's what happens when you take it out for a field trip to the bogs!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    rygD likes this.
  4. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Active Member

I think those buttons have some electric tape on them, as apparently they didn't quite fit snugly in the case they're in. They will fit/work better in the final version.

5. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd just like to remind ED that I still have no idea where to ship it next.

rygD likes this.
  6. waGL

waGL Still Fresh

If that list posted earlier is correct, then @edgex004 is next.

7. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

An address will be needed to send it on. There are probably worse places to be stuck than Scandinavia.

8. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ED did send me the next address. Looks like it's going to the US next.

Before I ship it off, would anyone in the stockholm area want to see it too? Despite being in the middle of a move, I might be able to find the time for a short meetup sometime during the first half of next week, somewhere around the Kista area or something.

rygD likes this.
  9. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Very Active Member

Don't put the pyra over animals please. There is some alergic people and I don't think it is a good idea to send the Pyra plus some damn hair. And also it is unsanitary (yes yes, it is your cat, it is very clean, you love it... I know that tale very well :D) so please, be clean and don't put it on your cat or your feces.

10. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I cleaned it off afterwards. Although I have a sneaking suspicion it has been in worse places already :p

ClockworkCoder likes this.
  11. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I wonder if I should mention how filthy humans are, especially their hands.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 25, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 25, 2017 ---
    Btw, I am extremely allergic to cats. I also live with 3 of them.

waGL likes this.
  12. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm terribly sorry for the hold-up, I still haven't had time to ship it off, hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow. From that I ship it, it should (from past experiences) take about a week to the US.

...Although it is quite tempting to hold on to it and show it off at Edison this weekend, I probably shouldn't...

13. edgex004

edgex004 Advanced Member

I am so stoked. Anyone in Minnesota want to try it out?

EDIT: @slaeshjag I'm okay with waiting a few more days if you have something to do with it this weekend.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Neelix likes this.
  14. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor Still Fresh

Intersting post comradekingu.

The light keyboard is the single greatest feature that I could ask for. My current phone is a Blackberry with a keyboard and I have been using these mini keyboards for a long long time: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ..._wireless_keyboard-_-9SIAAYY5G99455-_-Product

Light keypresses could be a problem sure, but let me tell you, for extended use light keys make all the difference in the world. The keys on the SMK-Link mini keyboard from the link above have "normal" pressure for the keys that turns out to be absolute murder to type on beyond a few sentences.

If the Pyra keyboard is as light as comrades aunt suggests, that is going to be amazing for those of us that can thumb type at really really fast speeds.

Yet another amazing design decision.

What a time to be alive. I cannot wait to get my order.

Silent-Hunter and ClockworkCoder like this.
  15. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

Oh yes you will :D

rygD likes this.
  16. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor Still Fresh

Smartass.

:)

comradekingu likes this.
  17. ible

ible Advanced Guard Tower

Twice in North Dakota, once in the Netherlands
    whereabouts? i'm near the border in a bordering state...

18. edgex004

edgex004 Advanced Member

I'm in the Twin Cities. I'm hoping to go on a bike tour soon to Chicago, so maybe the timing will sync up there if you're on the way.

19. ible

ible Advanced Guard Tower

Twice in North Dakota, once in the Netherlands
    @edgex004 ok, not too far away, though i'm not sure i have a good excuse to go... unfortunately chicago is in the opposite direction from me :).

20. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

That means we're within a few weeks of the keymat samples & case being in Omaha Nebraska. If anyone is interested in meeting up with it here, send me a PM and I'll set up a place to meet up.