Temper For The Gp32?

Dave, if you have the part number can you post it? It would save me the trouble of searching. My trusty First Edition GP2x is probably going to need a new SD one day. After these few years of inserting/removing cards all the time its gotten pretty dirty. If I go through the trouble of de-soldering it to clean it, I might as well just replace the slot.

edit: Yeah, almost forgot! Good to hear you were able to get your machine fixed Exo. Looking forward to see what you've accomplished.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
DaveC said:
(if you/he can't fix the SD slot on the other I still offer to do it, having a backup is always good, especially now)
You're willing to order a new one?

I would, they are only a couple of bucks through Digikey. If you would think you are going to send it, let me know and I will order the part first. Then I could fix it as soon as I get it.

Thanks, and I'll probably take you up on it, but it'll probably be in a month or two. It's kind of inconvenient for me to send things at the moment (and I'm in sort of a crunch with some other stuff >_>)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
He ended up using small wires afterall, but I just want to point out that the traces on the motherboard were close to non-existent (the USB socket pulled them clear out when it broke off), which is why he didn't think he'd be able to do it. It was a very difficult and tight job but I'm happy to say that he was able to get it working. So I'll be wrapping up Temper really soon now.

He also reinforced the USB on my other GP2X, but unfortunately the SD slot is busted beyond repair and needs to be replaced with a new one.

Does the new version include supergrafx support for the GP2X?

Exophase said:
He ended up using small wires afterall, but I just want to point out that the traces on the motherboard were close to non-existent (the USB socket pulled them clear out when it broke off), which is why he didn't think he'd be able to do it. It was a very difficult and tight job but I'm happy to say that he was able to get it working. So I'll be wrapping up Temper really soon now.

He also reinforced the USB on my other GP2X, but unfortunately the SD slot is busted beyond repair and needs to be replaced with a new one.
Are these known issues on the gp2x and if so is it specific to one model? I have the one with firmware 3 and I got it last June or July. Would mine be subject to this problem?

Chris

christo930 said:
Are these known issues on the gp2x and if so is it specific to one model? I have the one with firmware 3 and I got it last June or July. Would mine be subject to this problem?

Chris
I don't know, but the two I have were from different times (both firmware 2.x though) and both had poor USB soldering. The problem was rather exasperated for me because I kept removing the USB socket, and the GP2X fell on the floor a couple times because the wires got snagged. Nonetheless, the USB port was basically being held on by the pins alone instead of the 4 solder pads, which is very bad.

As a non-developer USB is probably not that important to you though. But if it still worries you I and you know how to solder it's easy to open it up and reinforce the pads. While you're in there you might want to reinforce the SD slot pins too, if it looks weak.

Exophase said:
christo930 said:

Chris
I don't know, but the two I have were from different times (both firmware 2.x though) and both had poor USB soldering. The problem was rather exasperated for me because I kept removing the USB socket, and the GP2X fell on the floor a couple times because the wires got snagged. Nonetheless, the USB port was basically being held on by the pins alone instead of the 4 solder pads, which is very bad.

As a non-developer USB is probably not that important to you though. But if it still worries you I and you know how to solder it's easy to open it up and reinforce the pads. While you're in there you might want to reinforce the SD slot pins too, if it looks weak.

I'll probably just leave it alone as I don't use the usb port. As far as the sd port, I use that a lot because I use the reader/writer built into my laptop and so that is how I add/remove software and roms. I suppose it's probably best to leave it alone unless it gets loose or something. I am ok with a soldering Iron, I replaced the bios chip in my atari 7800 a few times and I have built other things, but it's not my best skill.

The USB ended up not working afterall, when I went to go actually use it :|

I fixed some things via the other GP2X and I had some time to test things a little bit and I still have to fix at least one other problem. It's going to be really problematic doing so, unless I setup usbhostfs, maybe.

Bleh. :/

Exophase said:
The USB ended up not working afterall, when I went to go actually use it :|

I fixed some things via the other GP2X and I had some time to test things a little bit and I still have to fix at least one other problem. It's going to be really problematic doing so, unless I setup usbhostfs, maybe.

Bleh. :/
Maybe the guy that fixed it could find the problem. Maybe a wire came off or was crossed or something. If he needs it I could send a pic of how the traces should go.

Back