Finally ordered the GP32...

liquidcross

Website
Visit site
After a good week or two of researching the thing, I finally buckled an ordered a GP32. It should arrive in a week or two. Many thanks to all you folks for answering the many random questions that I've posted. :D

Ah, playing TG16 on the road will kick ass...

liquidcross posted on May 13 2003 said:
Hey...rom names don't have to be in any particular format, do they? Other than being 8 characters or less?
No, all they have to be is 8 chars or less, the standard format for that kind of rom (only exception I know is XCade) and they HAVE to have a 3 letter ext, on some roms (like .GB or .ST) you have to add a letter to the extention, but that is all (I think ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
Think of it as running emulation through dos or windows3.1
The file name must be 8 or less, not counting the file extension.
If its chrono trigger for snes It should be something like this:
Ct.smc
or
ChronoTr.smc

If nes like this:
DW1.nes
or
DragonWa.nes
Etc....

Don't forget, if you download a large selection of ROMs and need to rename them to 8.3 format, check out my website (link in my sig) and download GP Renamer 1.0 ...

Flack posted on May 13 2003 said:
Don't forget, if you download a large selection of ROMs and need to rename them to 8.3 format, check out my website (link in my sig) and download GP Renamer 1.0 ...
Done, and done! :ph34r:

just ordered mine today. i think i bought it just to gloat over my gba wielding friends. hope i get my moneys worth. :D

actually i love how old pc games are being ported. watched my firends play advanced wars today and was thinking how a panzer general 2 port would be nice. i doubt the source is out for that though. :(

Mofokubik posted on May 13 2003 said:
Think of it as running emulation through dos or windows3.1
The file name must be 8 or less, not counting the file extension.
Not quite correct. PCLink expects 8.3 filenames, just like most SW on the GP, but both FAT12 and the GP itself actually support/tolerate long file names!

If you have a cardreader you can use long filenames with mixed case without any problems. It's then up to the software on the GP to deal with that. Frodo supports long filenames, so you could create a dir "Monty on the Run", and Frodo would show it, no problem. If you just see the shortened version (BLABLA~1.XXX) in a particular program, using 8.3 names is The Right Thing (tm), but even here you can still use mixed case, so you'd still see the prettier and easier to read names when using the cardreader...

Back