Temper 0.75 For Wiz

You have to rename them, ie to syscard3.bin. There's no real "format" to it.

Hey thanks!

Alright, I've had them in the syscard file, renamed them as described in the readme (syscard3.pce, etc), so I guess there's something else wrong here. I'm using wav files with an iso and cue file. The cue files match the wav tracs.

When I try to start a CD game, I get the Super System Card screen, I push Run (or "Select" on the Wiz), and the emulator either goes to a black screen, shows a frame rate counter and locks up -- or is a black screen with a frame rate counter that changes, no sound, blank screen - but I can return to the Temper menu, so the emulator has not locked up. The first time I tried to play Loom, a screen came up and said that the file cabinet needed to be initialized. So, I went into the system card options (by hitting Menu (or Select on a Turbo) and formatted the card. When I started Loom up again, it just went to blank screen with changing frame rate counter.

I feel I am so close to getting this working. I have the Sega CD emulator on PicoDrive working, so I know I can do this. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Exophase said:
You have to rename them, ie to syscard3.bin. There's no real "format" to it.

Hey Exophase, I know you get this a lot, but seriously, thanks for making this emulator. Having a portable Turbo Duo has always been a dream of mine. I can get the cards working with no problem but just, for whatever reason, am having a tough time getting the CDs to fire up.

I've tried naming the System Cards with either a .bin or a .pce (ex, syscard3.bin and syscard3.pce). These are System Card images that work fine with Magic Engine. Both file extensions seem to work the same and will bring up the System Card screen when I pull up a CD game. I have the 3.0 card selected in the Temper configs. It's just getting things to go after I hit the Run button that has been a problem.

At this point I think there must be a problem with the way the iso, cue and wav files are set up. I've triple checked to make sure the cue list matches the wav files, but only get the results as I listed above.

Last edited by a moderator:
The syscard3.bin needs to be in a folder called syscards. That folder should be in the main Temper folder. Just drop your syscard images in there. I totally forgot to move my system cards when I transferred my GP2X stuff to my Wiz. After droping my syscard3.bin in the syscards folder all was well. If you're still having issues with them playing it has to be the iso/wave or some other format that you are using. I find that converting them to ogg saves a lot of space and they play great.

Does the "Super CD-Rom System" menu at least start? Telling you to hit the Run button? After you hit the Run button is it giving you a disc error message?

Yup, system cards are in the right folder and have the right name. I get the system CD start up with the "Super CD-Rom System" screen - just like on the Turbo with an Arcade Card, but the games never load after hitting the "Run" button. I'm not getting a disc error message. I either get a black screen that's live (with fluctuating fps) or Temper locks up and I have to shut down the Wiz. Thinking it's not the system cards... But who knows, I've tried several different games and all either go to a black screen or lock up Temper, so I'm not sure where the problem is exactly. All the games have had wav files, at least one iso and a cue file (with the correct wav track listings) - so I'm at a total loss here. Attached is how the CD files are organized in their folder (this is the Gate of Thunder folder). Thanks for the help, I just wish I knew how I could get this to work! Arggg!

gatesofthunder.jpg

Do the files listed in the CUE file match the filenames listed in the directory?
My stuff is in OGG format and the entries in the cue go like this:

FILE "track-01.ogg" OGG

Yup, I've checked the .cue file, because I was sure that's where the problem would be. Everything appears to match, even the uppercase / lowercase:

FILE Track01.wav WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE Track02.iso BINARY
TRACK 02 MODE1/2048
PREGAP 00:03:00
FILE Track03.wav WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE Track04.wav WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:00:00
FILE Track05.wav WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE Track06.wav WAVE
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE Track07.wav WAVE
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE Track08.wav WAVE
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE Track09.wav WAVE
TRACK 09 AUDIO
FILE Track10.wav WAVE
TRACK 10 AUDIO
FILE Track11.wav WAVE
TRACK 11 AUDIO
FILE Track12.wav WAVE
TRACK 12 AUDIO
FILE Track13.wav WAVE
TRACK 13 AUDIO
FILE Track14.wav WAVE
TRACK 14 AUDIO
FILE Track15.wav WAVE
TRACK 15 AUDIO
FILE Track16.wav WAVE
TRACK 16 AUDIO
FILE Track17.wav WAVE
TRACK 17 AUDIO
FILE Track18.iso BINARY
TRACK 18 MODE1/2048
PREGAP 00:03:00

The original Turbo CD and Duo disc tracks are structured with the first track being a warning about the CD being played in a regular CD player. The .cue file reflects the first track being audio. It's ripped exactly how it's formatted on the CD. I can try deleting the first track, taking it off the .cue file and seeing what happens, but I don't know if that's where the problem is.

I just tried removing the first track and I still get Temper locking up the Wiz... Ugh.

Hi BEERSandVIDEOS - you are correct, all PCE-CD games have audio for the first track where the "play this on a game console" message is.

Unfortunately, Temper has some issues with WAV loading/playback that I haven't really noticed until pretty recently because not that many people use it, especially the kinds that it has problems with. I think that the only format you will have luck with is 16bit, 44.1KHz WAV. If your files are not that then you might have problems, so the first thing you should report is the format (resolution and sample rate). The erratic behavior you're seeing is basically a sign that Temper is crashing, probably because it's incorrectly calculating the size of the tracks on disk.

What I recommend doing is, if you have the original CD, rip to BIN/CUE and first confirm that you can get that working. Then try using the included program to convert to ISO/OGG/CUE. You will be very hardpressed to notice the difference in quality between WAV and OGG, especially if your WAVs were downsampled to begin with, and the space savings will be very significant. However, with a little modification it should be possible to make that program convert to ISO/WAV/CUE instead in such a way that'll work in Temper.

Of course I'd like to upload a fixed version of Temper, unfortunately my Wiz is bricked so I can't do much about this right now.

Exophase said:
Of course I'd like to upload a fixed version of Temper, unfortunately my Wiz is bricked so I can't do much about this right now.
Do you think your Wiz will ever be un-bricked or is the problem to severe? I would think with your great coding knowledge unbricking a Wiz would be super easy for you, like child's play. Or is it just too much of a hassle to bother with? Isn't there some way of doing it easy? I thought the same problem happened to a few others here. Maybe they could give you the needed files etc.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
I would think with your great coding knowledge unbricking a Wiz would be super easy for you, like child's play.

Exophase knows how to communicate directly with the Wiz in binary but he refuses to as he says he doesn't like to make those squeaky noises.

Heh at Peter ;p

DaveC said:
Do you think your Wiz will ever be un-bricked or is the problem to severe? I would think with your great coding knowledge unbricking a Wiz would be super easy for you, like child's play. Or is it just too much of a hassle to bother with? Isn't there some way of doing it easy? I thought the same problem happened to a few others here. Maybe they could give you the needed files etc.

It'll probably be unbricked. If I really cared a lot it's definitely possible, but it could range from taking not that much time to taking a lot of time and effort. The UART bootloader works and I can run binaries off of that, I can load and run U-Boot for that matter but the memory map is wrong because of the required shadow switch, so I can't flash with it. The linked NAND flasher doesn't work. So my options are:

- recompile U-Boot so that flash points to the right location (the "shadow" location) instead of where the already compiled one thinks it is. The problem with this is that U-Boot is not supposed to be able to work if you have RAM start at anywhere but 0x0, so there'd be a potential conflict with the flash.
- write a program that sets up the MMU to remap memory for U-Boot where I need flash. This could still break for the same reasons, except since I can already run U-Boot obviously it's happy running from non 0x0. But there could still be a conflict with RAM and flash. Probably a good shot of working but this would take a while to work out since I haven't programmed the ARM9 MMU before (except mmuhack but that barely counts..)
- write a NAND flasher that hardcodes the correct address. I've written NOR flashers before so this probably isn't that hard.

From the two minutes I've talked to DJWillis about this he seemed to make it sound like it should be easy to unbrick but he's never around :(

Exophase said:
Hi BEERSandVIDEOS - you are correct, all PCE-CD games have audio for the first track where the "play this on a game console" message is.

Unfortunately, Temper has some issues with WAV loading/playback that I haven't really noticed until pretty recently because not that many people use it, especially the kinds that it has problems with. I think that the only format you will have luck with is 16bit, 44.1KHz WAV. If your files are not that then you might have problems, so the first thing you should report is the format (resolution and sample rate). The erratic behavior you're seeing is basically a sign that Temper is crashing, probably because it's incorrectly calculating the size of the tracks on disk.

What I recommend doing is, if you have the original CD, rip to BIN/CUE and first confirm that you can get that working. Then try using the included program to convert to ISO/OGG/CUE. You will be very hardpressed to notice the difference in quality between WAV and OGG, especially if your WAVs were downsampled to begin with, and the space savings will be very significant. However, with a little modification it should be possible to make that program convert to ISO/WAV/CUE instead in such a way that'll work in Temper.

Hey Exophase - Thanks for the feedback on this. I'll give it a shot this week and report back.

geise69 said:
I do have one question and it's for anyone that has been using Temper. I don't know but it might actually be my SD card. My issue is that no matter what clock speed I use, games fluctuate from 60 fps down to 55 or lower then shoot back up. Games tend to get rather choppy. Surprisingly it seems to run better at 450 than say 650. It seems like the frame rate changes when it's accessing my SD card. Maybe I need a faster SD card. Is anyone else experiencing this? My firmware is 1.1.0

I had this same problem, but managed to sort it get the fix in my post here

Now I have classic Turbografix action again! Wicked! :)

Thanks man! Running that script works like a champ! Games that have crazy scrolling like AirZonk run smooth now. Under clocking helped before, but it works great now. It has to be cause of the firmware I'm on, since they changed the timings for the screen. Thanks again. I remember reading about that pollux_set in the picodrive forum before I purchased my Wiz. I completely forgot about it.

Back