Telson Gaming Umpc

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/06/telson-3d-umpc/

telson.jpg

It appears to be a proof-of-concept by a company called Masterimage who have developed a 3D screen that can be used without glasses. Apart from that its fairly basic UMPC-territory with a 4.3″ 800×480 screen, 512MB RAM and a 30 or 60GB hard drive running XP on a VIA C7-M at 1.2Ghz. Apparently the joystick feels quite good although the screen looks like one of those ‘3D’ postcards.

Interesting, I guess.

I'm not that big on gimmicks and wizbang graphics, so this may not be for me. But I would certainly like to learn more about it in the future, if only out of curiosity.

I've been waiting for stereoscopic 3D screens to become affordable for years now (by which I mean less than £200 for a 15" monitor), so I think I'll definitely pay attention to this. If the games are good, I might (but very tentatively might) grab one. Though I must confess, I'm not entirely convinced such 3D will work well on a handheld-sized screen...

gimmick...

It's hard to imagine a screen like this working decently off-axis, and when it's so small to start with, I don't think it's likely to impress, especially as a handheld gets moved around quite a lot while playing... In fact, this reminds me of the time Nintendo thought it would be fun to use accelerometers for control in a handheld game; remember that Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble on the Gameboy? :rolleyes:

Back