Tecmo Super Bowl Iii With Squidgesnes

johnz1

Still Fresh
Hi all

I'm trying to play Tecmo Super Bowl III. Everything in the menus is great; I can pick options and which team I want to be and starting lineups. After the coin flip, the screen goes black and nothing happens. Any ideas of what the problem could be? Any solutions?

Emulator: squidgesnes_mmu_gpe
ROM: Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition (U) [!].smc

Thank you for any help

League Bowling on the NeoGeo???... Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition is a football game. sorry just had to point that out lol

johnz1 posted on Sep 11 2006 at 07:52 AM said:
Hi all

I'm trying to play Tecmo Super Bowl III. Everything in the menus is great; I can pick options and which team I want to be and starting lineups. After the coin flip, the screen goes black and nothing happens. Any ideas of what the problem could be? Any solutions?

Emulator: squidgesnes_mmu_gpe
ROM: Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition (U) [!].smc

Thank you for any help

Just tried the following roms and they seem to work (only played for about 2 mins after coin flip, not really into american football)

Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition (U) [h1C].smc
Tecmo Super Bowl III - Final Edition (U) [b1].smc

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten it working very well with this version of Squidgesnes:

pepone posted on Jul 3 2006 at 02:01 PM said:
Here is a version with mmu hack who let you choose between autoframeskip and classic frameskip.
I didn't test it very much, so it may be buggy :)
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/sq...esnes_0.37c.zip

Ps: turning Autoframeskip on disable vsync, fpslimiter and classic frameskip as it's incompatible and/or redondant.

(from this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=29680&st=0)

And using these RAM timings:

craigix posted on Sep 30 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
Following on from the mmu hack, this might speed things up even more...

We want to hear if these settings speed up emulators on your unit, or crash it, or slow it down etc.

Launch the cpu changer with (change for your path/file name obviously):

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 266 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2

and report back if the emulator speed is faster/slower than just launching with 266mhz 'normal'.

Thanks,

Craig

(from this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32319)

I get about 20-35 fps (@ 270MHz) in game with that. (60 fps in menus etc.) Very playable!!

edit: fixed fps #s

dsd28: Thank you so much for revisiting this thread and helping me.

Unfortunately, I've been trying for over an hour and I still cant get past the coin toss!

I also cant get anything out of the CPU/RAM/LCD tweaker. Everytime I try to use different settings, the screen freezes black. Maybe it has something to do with me using Gmenu, but I doubt it. After giving up on using scripts, I decided to just load up the cpu_speed.gpe program and use the GUI to change to the recommended settings. I pressed "Y" to save the settings and I exited back to Gmenu. Maybe Gmenu overrode the cpu_speed settings because nothing changed with tecmo.

Damnit, I was real excited to finally get this to work, too

You have to use scripts otherwise when you exit back to the menu it resets the cpu clock to 200MHz. Maybe you are overclocking too much? Have you used the speed test to determine your max overclock?

edit: here are my settings if that helps:

show fps
auto frameskip
(frameskip: 2 - not sure if this means anything since I have auto checked)
fast sprites
audio processor enable
use absolute rom dir
snes action buttons

everything else is unchecked

Yeah, the speed test maxed out at 285, so I figure 266 is a safe place to stop.

Wow, overclocking in Gmenu to 266MHz and using your settings made it work! But, it plays at 10-12 fps. I need to get those ram timings going.

Here's the strange part: When I changed your settings and unchecked "enable sound", it froze after the coin flip again. Why would the game work with sound on, but freeze with it off?

So I really need to utilize the cpu/ram timings. Is there anyway you can tell me how to get it working when i'm using GMenu? Like I said, I tried for more than an hour last night and couldnt get it to work.

Thank you very much for your help.

Yeah, the speed test maxed out at 285, so I figure 266 is a safe place to stop.

Wow, overclocking in Gmenu to 266MHz and using your settings made it work! But, it plays at 10-12 fps. I need to get those ram timings going.

Here's the strange part: When I changed your settings and unchecked "enable sound", it froze after the coin flip again. Why would the game work with sound on, but freeze with it off?

So I really need to utilize the cpu/ram timings. Is there anyway you can tell me how to get it working when i'm using GMenu? Like I said, I tried for more than an hour last night and couldnt get it to work.

Thank you very much for your help.

Check my message here, it may help:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...2390&st=30#

(the snes.gpe file in the zip is a script with the RAM timings included)

But generally, as long as you're using the v0.37c that dsd28 posted a link to, turn on AutoFramskip, make sure Fast Sprites are checked, Vsync is off, and the Frame limiter is off.

Good stuff man, I'm glad you got it working. Just use the gpe gaterooze posted and you should be good to go with the RAM timings.

Using the RAM timings, I went from 8-19 fps in game to 20-35! :eek:

edit: I'm not sure about how/why turning the sound off affects the game

Thank you very much dsd28 and gaterooze

With your help I can play this great game and life it very good!

Thank you very much!

sweet man! glad you got it working. it's definitely one of my favorite sports games on the snes. :wub:

Back