Technical Reason Why The Memory Card Is Not Refreshed?

zektor

I had this problem on the F100, and now with the F200 (even more so). The problem is that the card is not refreshed after removing it from the unit, adding an application, and then re-inserting it. When the card is re-inserted after adding a program, I will see the original list of contents MINUS what I just added. The only way I can get the unit to refresh the contents so that I can execute the new app is to cycle off/on again. As you can imagine, this can get very annoying. I did quite a few forum searches to see if anyone else experiences this problem, but strangely enough I cannot find a hit. Surely I cannot be the only person to experience this on multiple units! What would be the technical explanation as to why the file system would not refresh the card?

I actually noticed the same thing a couple of weeks ago as I was developing a test game for the GP2X, made some changes to the launchscript but then as I put it on the card and reinserted it in the GP2X the changes weren't there. Very strange..
Then turning the unit off and then on again and it worked.

So sorry for not being of much help, but at least confirming that it's not only you. ;)

are you guys using windows? Make sure you remove the device through windows beofre you pop it out. Even though windows looks like it finished it really may not have.

Pickle said:
are you guys using windows? Make sure you remove the device through windows beofre you pop it out. Even though windows looks like it finished it really may not have.

Yeah, but I am using a card reader, not hooking the GP2X up to USB....

Last edited by a moderator:
zektor said:
Pickle said:

Yeah, but I am using a card reader, not hooking the GP2X up to USB....

It should still be the same process, look at your tray item "safly remove hardware". Your reader should be in the list.

I think zektor's saying the new program is on the SD card, but reinserting it into the gp2x isn't causing it to reread the SD and update the file list.
This is usually a mount option.. autosync or something like that in /etc/mnttab or /etc/fstab I think.
You could write a script to unmount /mnt/sd and remount it again - in fact I use at work something along the lines of mount -orw,remount or something.
I'm sure the gp2x used to reread the SD correctly, but mine doesn't any more - ie the same as zektor's - maybe it's a feature that's been added in a recent firmware.

kevcal said:
I think zektor's saying the new program is on the SD card, but reinserting it into the gp2x isn't causing it to reread the SD and update the file list.
This is usually a mount option.. autosync or something like that in /etc/mnttab or /etc/fstab I think.
You could write a script to unmount /mnt/sd and remount it again - in fact I use at work something along the lines of mount -orw,remount or something.
I'm sure the gp2x used to reread the SD correctly, but mine doesn't any more - ie the same as zektor's - maybe it's a feature that's been added in a recent firmware.
ok i think i see now he is trying to hot swap the card while the GP2X is still on. I think most users turn there unit off then take the card out, that might be why you didnt find anyone with this issue. Not that you shouldnt try to fix it.

zektor said:
I had this problem on the F100, and now with the F200 (even more so). The problem is that the card is not refreshed after removing it from the unit, adding an application, and then re-inserting it. When the card is
The technical reason (as you ask) is that the gp2x doesn't recognise that the card is removed, so it's still using the directory listing cached in memory. This maybe a hardware problem (sd card switch is faulty) or a software one (sd card was being used when you removed it, so it could not remove the mount).

On the F100, you can telnet in and 'umount' the card manually before removing to cure the problem.

However, GPH do say that you should power off the unit before removing a card, so it's not technically a fault (even though I agree you should be able to do it, but only on the main menu when you are sure nothing is accessing the card).

zektor said:
I had this problem on the F100, and now with the F200 (even more so). The problem is that the card is not refreshed after removing it from the unit, adding an application, and then re-inserting it. When the card is re-inserted after adding a program, I will see the original list of contents MINUS what I just added. The only way I can get the unit to refresh the contents so that I can execute the new app is to cycle off/on again. As you can imagine, this can get very annoying. I did quite a few forum searches to see if anyone else experiences this problem, but strangely enough I cannot find a hit. Surely I cannot be the only person to experience this on multiple units! What would be the technical explanation as to why the file system would not refresh the card?
i have the exact same problem, but a sync from within gp2x cli makes the new files appear so i recon its not syncing properly when umounting

Thanks guys for the useful info. Oh well, I will just cycle power from here on in I suppose...

zektor said:
Thanks guys for the useful info. Oh well, I will just cycle power from here on in I suppose...
Huh? I remove/insert the SD card all the time when I put something new on the card, without cycling power. Just make sure you go back to the menu (press "start" or something) and after reinserting the card, select "Games" again, to return to your dir. Try it, it should work?

I had this problem too coding for the GP2X. I ended up just mounting and unmounting the device manually every time. It wasn't too bad once it became basically reflexive to do so. You can't do this on the F200 anymore? How come?

Rocket Lounger said:
I had this problem too coding for the GP2X. I ended up just mounting and unmounting the device manually every time. It wasn't too bad once it became basically reflexive to do so. You can't do this on the F200 anymore? How come?
You can't connect to the f200 gp2x over usb any more (gph removed the connection to the processor, meaning its just a sd reader now), which means you need a cradle (or something else providing a serial port).

Squidge said:
Rocket Lounger said:
You can't connect to the f200 gp2x over usb any more (gph removed the connection to the processor, meaning its just a sd reader now), which means you need a cradle (or something else providing a serial port).

I know they have made some stupid decisions, but WHY remove this feature? Jeez...

just write a little script to umount and mount the sd card. should work fine for what you have in mind. Still not what you want it to do but it's close.

Something like:

#!/bin/sh
umount /mnt/sd
mount /mnt/sd

should do it I guess. You might have to add another line for restarting the menu.

exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

to make sure that you will not get a black screen with nothing going on after you ran the script. This is pretty quick and dirty though. Try if this helps.

i like quick and dirty (never could fathom scripts that is long as books to do simple things)

xnopasaranx said:
just write a little script to umount and mount the sd card. should work fine for what you have in mind. Still not what you want it to do but it's close.

Something like:

#!/bin/sh
umount /mnt/sd
mount /mnt/sd

should do it I guess. You might have to add another line for restarting the menu.

exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

to make sure that you will not get a black screen with nothing going on after you ran the script. This is pretty quick and dirty though. Try if this helps.

Hmm..black screen...does not work?

Update:

It works fine now.

What did I do? Well, not much. Simply swapped the 8GB SDHC with a standard 1GB card, let it read that, then went back to the 8GB. Haven't had a problem after that all night....odd as hell.

Back