Tabbed Browsing (file)

Jonttu

Still Fresh
By far I think this might be one of best suggestions/ideas for browsing. The thing that bothers me and I'm sure others as well is when your browsing and you have 10+ windows open at a time and it takes forever to find the right one. So what I suggest is to have tabbed browsing, like Firefox, so you can just look at the caption to find the right window. I don't think it would be too difficult to transfer files either, as you could just easily drag the file to the tab. Do you (anyone in general) think this is feasible later on a couple of months after the Pandora comes out? This is of course of low priority right now, but seems like it would very useful.

I was working on a tabbed file manager for the GP2X but got bored after writing about 10% of it. If I ever pick it up again it wouldn't be that hard to port it over.

Tabbed window managers for X are extremely (and I mean extremely) light and there are quite a few of them out there. If applications don't tab internally, then perhaps this could be an alternative?

I read some where on here that firefox 3 was likely to get ported to the pandora. It was picked because it doesnt suffer from memory leaks like firefox 2.

Theres also another tabbed browser called dillo that i would like to have on the pandora. It has lower system requirements then firefox so it should be able to run well at lower cpu speeds for longer battery life.

One of the devs ( I think) suggested using left joypad for mouse and left click. and the right for scrolling and right click. Middle click could be emulated using both buttons at the same time.

I would also like to see sessions on the pandora. Ubuntu has 6 console sessions (like DOS) and an X server session. The 6 console sessions are accessed by pressing ctrl+alt+f# (1-6). The X server by pressing ctrl+alt+f7.

Im not sure what would be the best key assignments to use on the pandora with the top row of numbers but anyway... Pandora could have 1,2,3 and 4 as console sessions. 5 could be pandora's main interface. 6 could be a web browser. 7 could be fluxbox. 8 a video player. 9 a mp3 player. 0 an emulated palm pilot.

Konqueror has tabbed file browsing, but the dependencies might be too much.

Maybe use the tabbed web browser with a plugin/extention that allows it to browse files well enough?

Back