Beta Synergy Client/server As Pnd

lomaxx

Here we go:

EDIT: at 20101009_2212: uploaded a new version

http://drop.io/synergy_pnd486#

I hope the binaries run without additional libraries. I didn't uninstall synergy and test it with only the PND. Let me know if anything else fails.
I spend some time to write a quick-setup and a nice zenity-menu-structure with a little error-handling. Critics and comments are welcome.

Oh, you do not know what synergy is? Let's quote myself from this thread:

I just noticed that synergy is in the repository. I installed and configured it and it seems to run fine.

For those who do not know: Synergy is a server-client-application that allows you to use your desktop-computers keyboard/mouse on a remote system. It also exchanges the copy-buffer between the two. You can compare it to a very light-weight VNC-setup, just that no video-data is being transfered. You configure your Pandora to be "beside your desktop" and as soon as you move your mouse "out of" your desktop (for example to the left), the mouse-pointer switches to the desktop of your Pandora and all keyboard-signals are sent there too. That way you can start applications there or work in a terminal-window within an X-environment. Everything you execute will run on the Pandora. You can not move running windows from one to another.

Note: You also can control your PC from the Pandora this way. For example for using it as remote-control for a video- or audio-player.

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent, works flawlessly!! Thank you very much Lomaxx!

I have some feedback for improvements you may want to consider, as I wasn't able to configure synergy solely based on your instructions:

In your quick-guide:
Code:
########code-start########
section: screens
   pandora-hostname:
   pc-hostname:
end
section: links
   pc-hostname:
      left = pandora-hostname
   pandora-hostname:
      right = pc-hostname
end
#########code-end#########
--> add the info that <pandora-hostname> and <pc-hostname> have to be replaced, and nothing to be written after the ':' ! The colons look to me as I am supposed to put the host names after the : ;)

--> Some word that the remote computer to be controlled is the Client and the computer with keyboard and mouse is the Server

--> The thing with the 'hosts' file is a bit confusing and doesn't seem to be necessary in all cases. Maybe remove that part?

--> The config file for the windows server can also be generated with a GUI program. Some words what to do are necessary though, it's not intuitive at all.

Great thing that you implemented the terminal inputs for the pandora in a noob compatible gui! I didn't have to use the terminal at all. Would there be a way to link the synergy-process to an icon in the system tray or task bar? That would be the cherry ontop :D

Thx again Lomaxx, great job!!

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment i have no real solution for adding a systray-icon for synergy. There is an application called "alltray". But i tried it on my desktop-pc and didn't manage to get it working with synergy.

Beside that i changed the QuickSetup a little. I hope it's a step forward and not backward. ;)

Also i added a third option beside "Client" and "Server"-mode. It's an advanced-setup-guide. It's a little bit more complicated than the QuickSetup, but explaining how to do it yourself was IMHO the best solution instead of adding more menus or installation-automatisms.

If no further issues are being found, then this can be released by someone official.

works amazing posting this now using my hdtv connected to pc with pandora and the keyboard/mouse
even tried a few games with it think would work fine as a controller in alot of games not much lag.
main point for me is using as a xbmc remote which is flawless.
thanks for the pnd and guide.

I tried for the first time to use Synergy as a server from the Pandora, and it doesn't work...

It seems unable to find the configuration file... even if the file ".synergy.conf" is already in appdata, where it is found instead if i run the client...

To make it work I had to modify the "run.sh" line 70 adding the path of the configuration file:
Code:
.synergys -c "$HOME/.synergy.conf"

Also, on Windows, to use the Pandora as a server it's required the same version installed, 1.3, that is almost lost on the internet... luckily is still present a 1.3.7 version on Softtonic, and works great !!
Even the other free builds are disappearing by the way.

If instead the Pandora is used as a client there are no issues at all, and even the Windows more recent versions works with it.

Back