Beta Synergy Client/server As Pnd

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by lomaxx, Oct 7, 2010.

1. lomaxx

lomaxx Active Member

Here we go:

EDIT: at 20101009_2212: uploaded a new version

http://drop.io/synergy_pnd486#

I hope the binaries run without additional libraries. I didn't uninstall synergy and test it with only the PND. Let me know if anything else fails.
    I spend some time to write a quick-setup and a nice zenity-menu-structure with a little error-handling. Critics and comments are welcome.

Oh, you do not know what synergy is? Let's quote myself from this thread:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2015
    Tags:
  2. meandu229

meandu229 Zubeman

Cheers ill test this when I get home, might turn into a good XBMC remote :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  3. zapman

zapman Member

excellent, works flawlessly!! Thank you very much Lomaxx!

I have some feedback for improvements you may want to consider, as I wasn't able to configure synergy solely based on your instructions:

In your quick-guide:
    Code:
    ########code-start########
    section: screens
       pandora-hostname:
       pc-hostname:
    end
    section: links
       pc-hostname:
          left = pandora-hostname
       pandora-hostname:
          right = pc-hostname
    end
    #########code-end#########
    --> add the info that <pandora-hostname> and <pc-hostname> have to be replaced, and nothing to be written after the ':' ! The colons look to me as I am supposed to put the host names after the : ;)

--> Some word that the remote computer to be controlled is the Client and the computer with keyboard and mouse is the Server

--> The thing with the 'hosts' file is a bit confusing and doesn't seem to be necessary in all cases. Maybe remove that part?

--> The config file for the windows server can also be generated with a GUI program. Some words what to do are necessary though, it's not intuitive at all.

Great thing that you implemented the terminal inputs for the pandora in a noob compatible gui! I didn't have to use the terminal at all. Would there be a way to link the synergy-process to an icon in the system tray or task bar? That would be the cherry ontop :D

Thx again Lomaxx, great job!!

4. lomaxx

lomaxx Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment i have no real solution for adding a systray-icon for synergy. There is an application called "alltray". But i tried it on my desktop-pc and didn't manage to get it working with synergy.

Beside that i changed the QuickSetup a little. I hope it's a step forward and not backward. ;)

Also i added a third option beside "Client" and "Server"-mode. It's an advanced-setup-guide. It's a little bit more complicated than the QuickSetup, but explaining how to do it yourself was IMHO the best solution instead of adding more menus or installation-automatisms.

If no further issues are being found, then this can be released by someone official.

5. meandu229

meandu229 Zubeman

works amazing posting this now using my hdtv connected to pc with pandora and the keyboard/mouse
    even tried a few games with it think would work fine as a controller in alot of games not much lag.
    main point for me is using as a xbmc remote which is flawless.
    thanks for the pnd and guide.

6. Esn

Esn (:";

Looks like the original download link no longer works. Can anyone upload this somewhere else?

7. Esn

Esn (:";

Working download link for Synergy, courtesy of meandu229. Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/?npdbkibd5bm5ckb

8. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

I tried for the first time to use Synergy as a server from the Pandora, and it doesn't work...

It seems unable to find the configuration file... even if the file ".synergy.conf" is already in appdata, where it is found instead if i run the client...

To make it work I had to modify the "run.sh" line 70 adding the path of the configuration file:
    Code:
    .synergys -c "$HOME/.synergy.conf"

Also, on Windows, to use the Pandora as a server it's required the same version installed, 1.3, that is almost lost on the internet... luckily is still present a 1.3.7 version on Softtonic, and works great !!
    Even the other free builds are disappearing by the way.

If instead the Pandora is used as a client there are no issues at all, and even the Windows more recent versions works with it.