Swithiching Off The Touchscreen

Pleng

When my Pandora isn't broken, I tend to keep it on all of the time. This makes finding time to wipe/clean the screen pretty difficult. Is there a command to turn the touch screen on and off, ready for cleaning?

Sorry, I meant the touch part, rather than the screen part. it's the constant clicks all over the place that I'm trying to prevent

I take just using lower power mode quickly is ruled out, as why not just put it into low power,wipe screen, resume normal power again? Nothing registers on the touchscreen in low power.

Chaser said:
I take just using lower power mode quickly is ruled out, as why not just put it into low power,wipe screen, resume normal power again? Nothing registers on the touchscreen in low power.
yes it does, especially now that it's not dropping to 14Mhz when it does so.
I haven't tested this, but if you
Code:
cd /dev/input
sudo mv touchscreen0 notouch
it'll "remove" the touchscreen from the devices. You can then put it back by reversing the mv. At least in theory. If it breaks things, just reboot: devices are rebuilt on startup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol thats weird as I´d never noticed it before and tested twice before posting that. Now of course it behaves as you say it will.

I tried your code but it doesn´t seem to disable the touchscreen in on/low power for know.

Chaser said:
Lol thats weird as I´d never noticed it before and tested twice before posting that. Now of course it behaves as you say it will.
That's because low power mode used to be 14Mhz: it was way too slow to register anything from the touchscreen. Now it's 125Mhz (because there's no power saved by going that slow) which is still plenty of CPU time to register movement on the touchscreen.
If renaming touchscreen0 doesn't work, try
sudo mv event5 noevent5

WizardStan said:
If renaming touchscreen0 doesn't work, try
sudo mv event5 noevent5
Once the process have open a file (or device for that matter) it will have access to it no matter what.
Try starting a process that feed a file (like "while true;do echo pandora;done>/tmp/pandy") then remove the file. enjoy seing your FS usage grow while you dont have a grip on it (no way to fuser).

My bet in this is removing the files wont work.

rmmod will fail : device in use.

sorry I have no good idea :(

The Nokia devices have this 'lock screen' functionality, so there must be some method available somewhere which doesn't involve something as crude as renaming device files.

...how do you know that the Nokia 'lock screen' function doesn't do exactly that behind the scenes??

Pleng said:
...how do you know that the Nokia 'lock screen' function doesn't do exactly that behind the scenes??
Because I checked. It doesn't touch the /dev/input devices. So there must be another way.

Traditionally it's done with xinput which can disable and enable inputs to the xserver, but it gives a BadAccess error (even to super user) and I don't know what that means. Nokia probably has their team of paid experts know what that means and fixed it.

This is probably too obvious, but couldn't you start a fullscreen application that doesn't have touchscreen support?

hah, you would think it were that obvious, but no one else thought of it :D
That should also work. A full "lock" on the device. Absorb all inputs, wait for the right password, then quit.

Back