[SOLVED] power-off on login screen

ben_dash

Still Fresh
I have 3 questions...

I rebooted my Pandora and, when I attempted to login on the XDM screen (or whatever it is) the login failed and I got the error "cannot execute login command", so now I can't login. My Pandora has never had any software installed on it as I was waiting until I got my screen protector and SD card before I defiled it. So it's still totally virgin; running hotfix #5.

I don't know what caused the problem, maybe it booted with my empty SD card in the slot, maybe I can clean some space off the NAND (I did notice that there seemed to be some files in the "Trash" but I didn't put them there) and fix the problem but it's totally virgin anyway so, unless there is some reason not to I was just going to do a complete reflash with Hotfix #5 again and start again.

1 - Does that sound like a safe solution?

Since I now cannot login I noticed another problem...

2 - How do you turn off a Pandora that's at the login screen without logging in?

I had no option but to let the battery die when it discharged itself sitting at the login screen.

Also, something totally unrelated, my battery never fully charges and will only ever reach as high as 93%.

3 - What is the current best solution for that issue?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
1 - Does that sound like a safe solution?
Yes, it does. Quite often, for bizarre issues that are difficult to fix manually, reflashing is the quickest and safest bet.

Since I now cannot login I noticed another problem...

2 - How do you turn off a Pandora that's at the login screen without logging in?
Hold down the Pandora-button and flip the power switch as if you're powering the machine on, and immediately hold the right shoulder-button - the button-plus-switch combo will force a reset, and holding the shoulder button will get you to a boot menu, which has an option to shut the Pandora down.

Also, something totally unrelated, my battery never fully charges and will only ever reach as high as 93%.

3 - What is the current best solution for that issue?
Not charging to 100% is usually a symptom of the battery not being seated correctly. The Quick Start guide which should have been supplied with the machine details how to re-seat it. If this is the problem, that will solve it.

I hope this helps, and welcome aboard.

1 - perfect

2 - wow

3 - I am pretty sure it's well seated and I heard about that as a solution for some. I seem to remember reading about a firmare tweak a couple of months ago that helped with this. The thing that worries me is that since it never completely charges I could accidentally leave it plugged in charging overnight and it could over charge the battery and damage it. This is partly the reason why I have been slow to start using it after waiting for it for 3 years I now don't want to damage it ;-)

I just plugged the Pandora in to charge it, since the battery was totally dead it took a few minutes to get enough juice to flicker back to life. Then, while it was charging, I experimented with the boot menu.

I could get to the boot menu easily enough but figuring out how to select a choice took a while, for anyone else who this could help because I didn't find the answer via google; the select is done using the joystick "X" button.

So that's sorted and now I'll be reflashing, thanks!

So far the only thing that causes me still to use my n900 is flash. I hate flash but there are a couple of sites that don't work without it. Looking forward to trying some games on the Pandora and may look into porting beebem.

Thanks!!!

PS: How do I change this thread title to [solved]?

Back