Surfin

andyB911

Website
Visit site
Question for those who are lucky enough to have received their :pandora2ut4: already...

Whats the screen size / resolution like for surfing the net? I ask as the iphone screen is a bit small, and you find yourself zooming in and out far too often unless on sites specifically designed for mobile usage (albeit they are becoming more popular).

Given that I'll probably, actually, spend most of my time on my pandora reading this and a few other sites rather than actually playing games (sad i know) interested to know what surfing experience is like.

Ta in advance...

PS If Op team did almost 200 yesterday and keep up that pace today / tomorrow, then they will be totally knackered very soon. But I and many others with a bit of luck will get their Pandora next week ;)

You could try it out yourself by resizing your desktop browser window to 800x480?

If you're not sure exactly how big that is:

Make a a blank image that's 800x480, say for example in MSpaint (or The Gimp). Fill it in black, and now select and copy the entire image.

Make a new image the resolution of your desktop (say 1024x768). Now paste the black square onto the white image, and save the final result somewhere.

Now you only need to load the image (and view it in the original resolution), place your desktop window over the black box and resize it to fit.

I think he was also wondering if it's possible to read page content at the 800x480 resolution, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

The Pandora's screen is physically larger than the iPhone's. It also has something like a factor greater than 2x the resolution of the iPhone. Both of these make for a better experience than on the iPhone.

Although, if the rumours about the iPhone 4G are right, then that it turn will increase its resolution by 4x.

I did try reducing my PC resolution and although lowest it will go is 800x600, it gives a reasonable idea of what to expect). However, trying to imagine that at the relevant screen size is trickier.

Seen youtube vids of browsing, but doesn't really give an idea of what its like in real world. Guess I'll need to be patient.. ;)

I'm using a 4.1" screen and browsing works just fine. It depends on the browser's zooming and text reflow functionality, if it's easy to read. Also kinetic scrolling is a valuable feature if available.

In response to the OP, I find it pretty comfortable to surf on the Pandora. having this high a res on a small screen is a bit of a test of your eyesight, but that's just my problem :).

You don't have to zoom in and out all the time like the ipod, and thankfully, it renders pages like a full desktop PC and not a mobile device like the iPod touch (which can be annoying).

The lack of flash video playback in Midori is a little bit of a pain, at least on the iPod you can watch youtube videos in it's video player. I guess this will possibly get resolved when we move to Chrome?

I'd thorougly reccomend the panda to anyone for surfung. I find the keyboard to be growing on me, the keys are a litle easy to slip off of while you're typing, and the high gloss can make it difficult to find the shift functions of the keys in strong light (but I'll learn the keylayout pretty soon).

Mqark said:
The lack of flash video playback in Midori is a little bit of a pain, at least on the iPod you can watch youtube videos in it's video player. I guess this will possibly get resolved when we move to Chrome?

Flash will not be available on the pandora regardless of the browser. (atleast not for while)

But... if we use chromium we should be able to watch youtube videos with HTML5
It works pretty decently...

Last edited by a moderator:
andyB911 said:
I did try reducing my PC resolution and although lowest it will go is 800x600, it gives a reasonable idea of what to expect). However, trying to imagine that at the relevant screen size is trickier.

Seen youtube vids of browsing, but doesn't really give an idea of what its like in real world. Guess I'll need to be patient.. ;)

Just resize the browser window.

Mantis said:
And that works for all YouTube videos?

No, not all of them. Those that load advertisements currently require Flash. There may be others.

screenshotko.png

B)

Mqark said:
In response to the OP, I find it pretty comfortable to surf on the Pandora. having this high a res on a small screen is a bit of a test of your eyesight, but that's just my problem :) .

You don't have to zoom in and out all the time like the ipod, and thankfully, it renders pages like a full desktop PC and not a mobile device like the iPod touch (which can be annoying).

Thats the info I was after - thanks! Now back to waiting... ;)

The Grab and Drag extension for Firefox is pretty essential I'd say, and something like it is? built into Fennec I'd imagine. Since Chrome is becoming the new (new new new) default browser, maybe someone can code up an extension for that?

edit: just found this, nice!
http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/chrometouch/

Old timers might complain about size of the lettering, but it doesn't bother me at all. I think it looks great.

Back