SuperTuxKart on Pandora 1Ghz

The Thinker

Still Fresh
Hi all, I'm new in this forum.

One of my favourite games of all times is SuperTuxKart. I know the game was running slow on previus Pandora devices, so it wasn't playable. Does anyone know if the game runs well and if it is playable on the new Pandora 1GHz. Also what about Supertux?

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

The Thinker

The engine needs to be optimized for the Pandora.

Cloudef was on it but I don't know how advanced it was.

Maybe somebody needs to rebuild the newest version.

Supertux runs perfectly

Supertuxkart seems unlikely to run well on the pandora - tuxkart (the old predecessor to STK) might be worth trying though.

Someone more knowledgeable will probably turn up in a moment, though....

Edit: Ha. see - I got ninja'd by mcobit :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. ;) Please If someone can test supertuxkart on the new 1Ghz and share his thoughts about the performances that would be really appreciated ;)

Ok got my 1Ghz Pandy ready, have the Supertuxkart files, how do I launch or use them

1. Set up build/development environment
  2. Make pandora-specific tweaks
  3. Compile for arm
  4. ensure all dependencies are satisfied
  5. run executable

Except its probably more complicated than that

Im using the file from the old version, from the link above

He means the .out file that you can find in the /tmp directory after the pnd crashed.

It would be good for devs to post the /tmp/supertuxcart.out file, so the devs can find out what went wrong. And maybe fix it.

I wanted to test the PND yesterday but my Pandora stopped at 95 MB. My second try was a success.

Here's the PNDrun.out.

Come on devs. You're the best :) .

Code:
=======================================================================================

PND			 : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/supertuxkart.pnd

PND_FSTYPE	  : Squashfs

APPDATADIR	  : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/supertuxkart

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME		 : scripts/supertuxkart.sh

ARGUMENTS	   : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/supertuxkart"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/supertuxkart=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/supertuxkart=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/supertuxkart"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (scripts/supertuxkart.sh ) ----------

Data files will be fetched from: '/mnt/utmp/supertuxkart/share/games/supertuxkart/'

Irrlicht Engine version 1.7.1-beta

Linux 3.2.30 #699 Tue Oct 16 03:07:33 EEST 2012 armv7l

creating...:/mnt/utmp/supertuxkart/supertuxkart

Irrlicht Engine version 1.7.1-beta

Linux 3.2.30 #699 Tue Oct 16 03:07:33 EEST 2012 armv7l

Trying OpenGLES rendering.

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 519: 28870 Segmentation fault	  "./$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (scripts/supertuxkart.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/supertuxkart': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

Remember that this is an old testpnd from sebt3, that ran like a slideshow on the cc units. It is old and therefore may be not compatible with the new kernel/oschanges.

I think he abandoned it.

The irrlichtengine needs some tweaks or someone needs to recompile a newer version and try with that.

Remember that this is an old testpnd from sebt3, that ran like a slideshow on the cc units. It is old and therefore may be not compatible with the new kernel/oschanges.

I think he abandoned it.

The irrlichtengine needs some tweaks or someone needs to recompile a newer version and try with that.
I'll dig up this old thread... I'm curruntly working on it. I have an Irrlicht engine running OK (the Demo runs at 40 fps, a bit more during flyby, a bit less when entering "the game"). Only GLES1 for now. I have just garbage on screen with GLES2. Will look at that maybe latter.

About stk. It's still a bit slow to my taste... With 3 A.I. running, I have around 10fps inrace. I have reduce many texture, to avoid bottleneck here, but it seems next bottleneck is either in bullet physics or A.I.., because when I race against only 1 A.I., I can easily reach more than 20 fps on the same track...

Here is an early screenshot, before reducing size of texture and some compiler optimisations. 130225-150750.png

I'll recompile with more optim... Than I'll try some neon code optim, if I can (and if I gain fps)... Than, I will also have a bit of work with GUI, as it's tailored for 800x600, not less (but it's useable on the 800x480 screen).

Are you using Supertuxkart 0.8?  The 8 version adds a -lot- to the game.  Downloadable karts, tracks and a story mode.

Supertuxkart was -barely- playable on a 2Ghz Pentium 4 that my kids used to have.  Those AI Karts take a lot of CPU.

On a relatively modern (Core 2 duo or better) machine, the X86 version works great.  My kids love that game.

Are you using Supertuxkart 0.8?  The 8 version adds a -lot- to the game.  Downloadable karts, tracks and a story mode.

Supertuxkart was -barely- playable on a 2Ghz Pentium 4 that my kids used to have.  Those AI Karts take a lot of CPU.

On a relatively modern (Core 2 duo or better) machine, the X86 version works great.  My kids love that game.
It is version 0.8 I'm using. I haven't tested yet the donwload part. Won't be that usefull, as I suspect the texture will be giant again and kills the performances :(

Might be good if someone can reduce the polycount for the cars.

Good to see it working :)

I don't know how relieble the ingame fps counter is, but I haven't found a direct link between triangle count (that go from 7K to 30K sometimes) and framerates. There are some "low poly" models also, for somes objects (bananas, gift, I don't remeber). Haven't see if there are automaticaly used or not. Another thing to check (and se the effect of that).

Back