Release Supertux (0.1.3 Milestone 1) Updated

Mr Rob

With permission/assistance from Pickle, I've updated Supertux (version 0.1.3 Milestone 1) and uploaded it to the repo.

Specific changes:

1. Fixed a glitch from the original port where levels without a background image set would look very buggy.

2. Fixed some alignment issues on the HUD (still set at the 640 resolution).

It's at the repo here: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=supertux-1

Enjoy.

I wonder why i can't find it in pndstore. Updated the lists, tried typing "super" and using cursor up/down to find it, but that only shows three different games starting with "super".

I wonder why i can't find it in pndstore. Updated the lists, tried typing "super" and using cursor up/down to find it, but that only shows three different games starting with "super".

Hmm, have you updated your list before searching for it in the PNDStore?

Edit: Bahaha, I'm an idiot. I tend to read poorly, and didn't see your 'Updated the lists' when I gave my recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the vague feeling that some pnd-file confuses my pndstore. Even after installing supertux manually, it does not appear in the list. In addition to that, I have to remove the pndstore-datafolder in my homedirectory in order to make it start again after running it ones. Doesn't seem to be related to Supertux, so don't mind too much. I won't as well. =)

I have noticed a pretty bad issue:

The mouse is disabled. Not a problem if you're just playing, but without the mouse, the level editor can't be used properly. Most of the stuff can be done with shortcuts, but still...

Of course, if/when the mouse is re-enabled, it would be desirable to make sure that the same bug that occurs in ScummVM doesn't occur in Supertux. And, of course, it would be be best if the more well-known offset problem doesn't occur.

@onpon4

Ah, I'll take a look.

Did the mouse work before in the original version found in the file archives? I'll have to check that out, too.

@onpon4

Ah, I'll take a look.

Did the mouse work before in the original version found in the file archives? I'll have to check that out, too.

I'm not sure if it did, but I just did some poking around, and it seems the keyboard doesn't work for entering text either, except for the Space key! I know for a fact that the keyboard worked in the old version, because I distinctly remember creating a new level set (involves typing a name with the keyboard), which caused it to crash. As a matter of fact, I was trying to see if that crash would happen with this version of Supertux.

But since I'm here, here's another bug related to the level editor (I'm sure this was the case before): not everything that should be displayed in the current view is displayed (another bug resulting from the new resolution, I'm sure) and the grid isn't displayed properly (missing vertical lines on the right side).

Actually, I have a suggestion, too: there's a great level set for Milestone 1 called Tux Strikes Back. Problem is, it's supposed to be put in the SuperTux data directory, but if I'm not mistaken, that would require editing the PND. It's a fun level set, so maybe it should be tossed in for the next release?

Ah okay, thanks for the feedback.

I'll probably be able to fire up the code again this weekend, and take a look. Honestly, I've never really looked at the level editor part of the code (forgot it was there, ha), but it'd be nice if that worked properly, too.

The later milestones actually have the level editor separate, and uses Mono of all things. But that's looking in the future.

Actually, I have a suggestion, too: there's a great level set for Milestone 1 called Tux Strikes Back. Problem is, it's supposed to be put in the SuperTux data directory, but if I'm not mistaken, that would require editing the PND. It's a fun level set, so maybe it should be tossed in for the next release?

Yeah, I Googled it and found the link online; no reason why we can't ship that in the PND, too.

Remember, that the appdatafolder is the root folder of the PND.

If a program wants some data in ./data/ you just need to create a folder called data in your appdata dir and move the files there.

I've updated Supertux in the repo (0.1.3.6).

Changes include...

1. Enabled the mouse. I believe it didn't work in my PND or the original as they were using a modified version of libSDL. I'm going to use the default one on the Pandora and see if it causes any problems.

2. The level editor now works on the bigger resolution. @onpon4, I know you had some specific interest in the level editor, so give it a run and let me know how it works. Originally, I had mouse offset problems; I implemented the mouse fix mentioned in the ScummVM thread, and since then haven't been able to reproduce it, so I'll hope it's fixed.

3. I've included documentation with some basic Pandora specific instructions plus the README from the original game.

4. Added more screenshots for it (my screenshots were taken on my desktop, and are 640x480, if anyone wants to provide proper 800x480 screenshots, you're more than welcome). I also changed the icon to be the icon from the original game. You're welcome, milkshake!

5. Added the "Tux Strikes Back" levelset. Can be found under "Bonus Levels".

Alright, I did some testing and the editor seems to work fine. I have 2 minor glitches to report:

• The minimum (and default) size is 21 tiles, but due to the size change, setting the size under 25 causes a minor graphical glitch (seemingly random tiles glued on the left) since the view is now 25 tiles wide. Easy solution: change the minimum size to 25 tiles in the editor.
  • When a tile is selected, it's supposed to be shown in a preview box, but due to the size change, it's in the wrong place. It needs to be moved 160 pixels to the right.

Other than that, it's solid. :)

EDIT: Forgot about an unimportant one: when you scroll the camera in the editor, a little box is drawn to show what part of the level you're looking at, but it draws the box for the old size (576x480) instead of the new size (736x480). Like I said, it doesn't really matter. Its main purpose is to show where the view is, and it still serves that purpose, no problem.

The minimum (and default) size is 21 tiles, but due to the size change, setting the size under 25 causes a minor graphical glitch (seemingly random tiles glued on the left) since the view is now 25 tiles wide. Easy solution: change the minimum size to 25 tiles in the editor.

Ah, duh, I never noticed that. There's no reason to have a level that's 20 tiles wide, anyway.

When a tile is selected, it's supposed to be shown in a preview box, but due to the size change, it's in the wrong place. It needs to be moved 160 pixels to the right.

Other than that, it's solid. :)

Same thing; an easy fix. Ha, I always just assumed that was where it was supposed to go; thinking "that's an odd place to put that." I've never really used the level editor; both fixed by next release, easy.

Of course you're obligated to make us some awesome Pandora levels now.

Of course you're obligated to make us some awesome Pandora levels now.

Hah, I'm not the level design type, I'm the perfectionist type. ;) Level design is actually my least favorite part of game development. I prefer programming. In fact, even though one of my current projects, Bowser's Last Stand, needs nothing more than more levels, whenever I start working on it, all I can think about is how I can improve the engine, and I always find something to improve. Heck, I even threw a cutscene at the end where Bowser asks players to contribute by making levels. :p

In all seriousness, I might eventually try making some Supertux M1 levels if I get the time (and there's enough interest), but right now, I'm focused on other stuff. But now that the editor works on the Pandora, maybe I'll make some levels while I'm in need of something to do and can't work on my projects. ^_^ It's better than wasting my time on Gweled.

I actually missed one tiny thing with this release, unrelated to the editor: it seems the B and X buttons can't be used in menus as the "Enter" key in the default controls any more. Interestingly, I noticed that the Select button can be used to enter levels. Strange.

I've uploaded Supertux in the repo (now version 0.1.3.7).

Changes include the two errors found by onpon4, involving the location of the preview block for the level editor, and the extra garbage on the left in the now expanded level editor.

So nothing too exciting, nothing affects regular game mode, just the two fixes to the level editor.

Back