Super Mario Wars

I think it's just about optimising now.. Using the best sdl avaible, squidge's hack etc.

The sources are avaible, a good dev should have done these things in a really short time.

starpause posted on Jul 21 2006 at 06:29 AM said:
go for the standard L+R+START
Standard?! I don't think I've met two games that work the same...

I've seen:
* Select +/-
* Select+Start for 1 second
* L+R+Start
and countless others...

I was using the suggestion from the wiki of Stick+Start (not the best combo, in my opinion), but I've since replaced that with a "quit" item in the menu and didn't see the point of having the awkward combo as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveN posted on Jul 21 2006 at 04:48 PM said:
The sources are avaible, a good dev should have done these things in a really short time.
It wasn't ported for quite a while because the developers of SMW said they'd do the job themselves, and seeing as they're the original developers, it's only polite to let them.

The standart is L+R+Stickpush. That's used in maybe 30 to 40 percent of the games.
I think that's the worst thing about the homebrew scene, no standards. Some games use A, some X some B and some even Y for 'Yes'.

@nickspoon:
And in the end let another one do it, like this time?
No offense against the developers ( I also adore spout ) but they said they're going to port it some months ( or even half a year ) ago.

DaveN posted on Jul 21 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
@nickspoon:
No offense against the developers ( I also adore spout ) but they said they're going to port it some months ( or even half a year ) ago.
I'm fairly sure that this wasn't a case of permission, more a case of "I'm tired of waiting and quite sure it's not going to happen."

Good job on the port by the way.

nickspoon posted on Jul 21 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
@nickspoon:
I'm fairly sure that this wasn't a case of permission, more a case of "I'm tired of waiting and quite sure it's not going to happen."

yeah i think that was the reason.
concerning the permission: i didn't know that people think that way. it'd be awesome for me to see someone else port it (and on top of that i wouldn't have to port it ;) ).

Concerning AI: 1.7 has different AI difficulty settings (you can grab the beta for the pc here: http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/?q=node/1507

BuD posted on Jul 20 2006 at 08:06 PM said:
Mr_Munk posted on Jul 20 2006 at 07:57 PM said:
Yeah, cool game - are there any plans to implement AI for the other players? I notice that the windows version doesn't have it yet, so I figured it would have online multiplayer, but it doesn't have that yet either...

If in the future Wifi becomes possible, then multiplayer on this would be amazing.

Thanks for the port, looks gorgeous on the 2x screen ;)

LOL, AI is implemented... to activate it, set IA player in the player select option on main menu.

Thanks XD

no_skill posted on Jul 21 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
concerning the permission: i didn't know that people think that way. it'd be awesome for me to see someone else port it (and on top of that i wouldn't have to port it ;) ).

Concerning AI: 1.7 has different AI difficulty settings (you can grab the beta for the pc here: http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/?q=node/1507

Nice to see you active on the boards. My comment wasn't meant like that you would have told him to port it, more that you said you would port it a really long while ago. And nothing happened.
Anyway, I'm enjoying the new version now, didn't know it was out, somehow missed that. Nice :)

Oh, and have you ever thought about showing the user where the ai can be turned on and off? When I first downloaded the game ( long time ago ), it soon was deleted again just because I thought it sucks if it says there's an ai, but there isn't. But I remember having lot of fun with friends while playing this.

EDIT: PixelWar looks like it will get fun aswell. Hope it will be in the style of that mega drive top-down war game, just from a side-view and better.

no_skill posted on Jul 21 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Jul 21 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
@nickspoon:

Yeah, 1.7 can do this, but It's beta for now. Im waiting for a stable 1.7 to do a better port. It's possible that I'll implement LAN multiplayer to play with others GP2X using dockstation.

Epicenter posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:03 AM said:
15-20 FPS .. does this utilize the blitter correctly through Paeryn's SDL Lib or is just the scaling done through it? Seems like you'd get better performance than that. Regardless, good work. :)
I've just ran it myself and from the debugging output none of the surfaces are created as HW so the blitter isn't being used. The scaler is doing the screen reduction, check it out using TV-out, it up-scales :) (I must re-work TV support to reduce the overscan.)

g4m3r: USB joysticks are working in the current SDL so as long as BuD supports them...

BuD: The link to the source code isn't working, did you have problems using HW_SURFACES? You need to use them to have a chance of speeding up the blitting.

I'd just like to note that this game ROCKS! I was having loads of fun playing it yesterday. Scared the hell out of my roomate when I turned up the volume for "ULTRA KILL!" lol

dsd28 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
I'd just like to note that this game ROCKS! I was having loads of fun playing it yesterday. Scared the hell out of my roomate when I turned up the volume for "ULTRA KILL!" lol

LOL

so somehow I never played this game, grabbed it for the pc to test it out. Its a really great game, just about to throw it on the gp2x. :) Best of luck.

Edit: got to playing

The text is truely painful. Some of the default settings are rough, like no cpu's and possibly 5 second respawn. I don't know if it helps with fps but I took off the respawn swirl and MAYBE it was a bit different. Did they add ice throwing in the beta? or is it not possible..im not really sure on this one.

bug..maybe: dont put it into full screen, you have to manually set it back before being able to boot it on the gp2x again.

Either way..damn good stuff.

paeryn posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:34 AM said:
BuD: The link to the source code isn't working

Yeah, it doesn't work. Can you post a working link please?
Sorry for the delay for the response but I have some problem with my ISP.

Back