Release SunVox (ultimate multiplatform synth/sampler/tracker)

cube48

Website
www.48.cz
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

Overview

SunVox is a small, fast and powerful music sequencer with modular synthesizers. It is a tool for those people who want to compose music anywhere. SunVox available for desktop PC (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X), pocket computers (Windows Mobile, PalmOS, Maemo, iPhone/iPad) and netbooks.

Key features

• Modular interface.
  • Highly optimized synth algorithms.
  • Flexible architecture: SunVox can working on variuos devices. For example: PDA with slow CPU - 16bit sound (fixed point arithmetic); or big PC with powerfull CPU: 32bit sound (floating point arithmetic).
  • Built-in synthesizers & effects:
  • FM synthesizer;
  • Generator (saw,triangle,square,noise waveforms);
  • Kicker;
  • Sampler (supported formats: WAV, XI, AIFF);
  • SpectraVoice (FFT-based synthesizer for analog-like pads);
  • DC Blocking Filter;
  • Delay;
  • Distortion;
  • Echo;
  • EQ;
  • Filter (Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass, Notch);
  • Flanger;
  • LFO;
  • Loop;
  • Modulator;
  • Reverb (with DC Blocking Filter);
  • Vocal Filter;
  • Vorbis Player;
  • Vibrato.
  • Supported systems: Windows, Linux (x86/x86_64/arm), Mac OS X, PalmOS, WindowsCE (Windows Mobile), iPhone/iPad.
  • Export to WAV.
  • MIDI IN/OUT.
  • Realtime sample recording.

Repacked Maemo version of SunVox. libosso library included in the PND.

The latest linux version supports MIDI (ALSA), can somebody check if the MIDI is working on Pandora?

Download

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=SunVox

Last edited by a moderator:
oh my giddy aunt can't wait to try this - got it on ipodtouch but on pandora with keyboards! :)

edit

dang not starting :(

Code:
=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop4" "/mnt/utmp/SunVox"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA1/pandora/appdata/SunVox=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/SunVox=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/SunVox"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Set CPU speed ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Set CPU speed ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (./sunvox.sh ) ----------

Copying config file.

libosso doesnt exist.

sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

./sunvox: error while loading shared libraries: libosso.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (./sunvox.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/SunVox': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

=======================================================================================

Return code is : 4

edit2

can't seem to install any of the libosso packages from angstrom feed

oh my giddy aunt can't wait to try this - got it on ipodtouch but on pandora with keyboards! :)

edit

dang not starting :(

Code:

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop4" "/mnt/utmp/SunVox"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA1/pandora/appdata/SunVox=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/SunVox=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/SunVox"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Set CPU speed ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Set CPU speed ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (./sunvox.sh ) ----------

Copying config file.

libosso doesnt exist.

./sunvox: error while loading shared libraries: libosso.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (./sunvox.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/SunVox': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 4

edit2

can't seem to install any of the libosso packages from angstrom feed

Hmmm ... in the PND there is a shell script which should sudo-copy the library to /usr/lib ... and this is obviously not working on your system.

Code:

It looks like your system can't do sudo tasks from PND. Strangely it works on mine. (I have a unsure feeling that in the very beginning of using Pandora I specified somewhere my root password and allowed it to be used by apps :unsure: )

You can copy it manually:

Download the lib from this post and unpack it.

Code:
tar -xf libosso.so.1.3.0.tar

Then copy ...

Code:
sudo cp libosso.so.1.3.0 /usr/lib/

... and then create symbolic link:

Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libosso.so.1.3.0 /usr/lib/libosso.so.1

EDIT: Updated version in the repos, no need to copy libosso to NAND!

Attachments

• libosso.so.1.3.0.tar
    50 KB · Views: 300
thanks working now, many thanks again for this port :)

hopefully this is just the start of something better for music making on pandora :)

Wouldn't it be better to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the folder in the PND this is in?

Modifying the nand is not nice!!!

Wouldn't it be better to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the folder in the PND this is in?

Modifying the nand is not nice!!!

Yes, I agree. I'm little bit new to porting stuff for OP and this time I'll learn how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH ;)

I guess, that I should create folder lib within the PND, put the library in there, create the link there as well and then just:

Code:
lib=$(pwd)/lib

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$lib

Is that right?

Yes, thats it.

Or just do

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/utmp/yourapp/lib

in the startupscript.

Also you should set the HOME variable to /mnt/utmp/yourapp to prevent saves to nand ;)

Yes, thats it.

Or just do

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/utmp/yourapp/lib

in the startupscript.

Also you should set the HOME variable to /mnt/utmp/yourapp to prevent saves to nand ;)

HOME is luckily right from the begining.

Code:
pwd=$(pwd)

export HOME=$pwd

Btw, thanks for pinpointing the lib export ;)

Edit: I just learned the hard way that symbolic links can't be created on FAT32 formated drives. So I just renamed the library to libosso.so.1 in the lib folder. Not nice but working.

Edit2: OK, updated version in repos. It shouldn't write to NAND at all.

Trying to install this via PNDstore, but it keeps on saying that the PND is corrupt the MD5 sums do not match.

Any idea?

Trying to install this via PNDstore, but it keeps on saying that the PND is corrupt the MD5 sums do not match.

Any idea?

Strange, it's working for me. Maybe try to update lists again. I was posting quickly bugfixed version and can imagine that your PND store had still the older information.

Great. Thanks, I'm going to have a play with this later :p

Excellent! :) I will test MIDI tonight.

Any idea?

Strange, it's working for me. Maybe try to update lists again. I was posting quickly bugfixed version and can imagine that your PND store had still the older information.

That is strange, I have updated the lists in PDNstore, and still get the same error. However after a reboot Sunvox is installed and seems to be running fine.

Excellent! :) I will test MIDI tonight.

I'm looking forward to your experience with MIDI. I managed to configure midi keyboard in config file (something like midi_keyboard = /dev/midi1 and midi_keyboard_ch = 1 - I'dont have Panda with me right now to check it accurately) and it appeared in the app but with no effect.

I also checked:

Code:
cat /dev/midi1

and saw some input while I pressed keys on Korg NanoKey, although these were all some weird characters. Raw MIDI perhaps?

Do you have any idea how the MIDI is routed in Pandora? SunVox expects it from ALSA interface as far as I read it on warmplace.ru.

It can be that this Maemo version doesn't support midi officially yet. Windows version is indicating some MIDI input by red blinking dot in module canvas but I didn't make it to play anything.

P.S.: Here are some other settings for config file:

http://www.warmplace.ru/docs/sunvox/sunvox_config.ini

P.P.S: And here is some suggestion on MIDI setting.

http://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1547&start=0#p4026

Have to try it myself asap :D

The Pandora uses the ALSA Midi sequencer, and if you are seeing characters on /dev/midi1 like that, then its likely that its working just fine .. if at first you don't get any sound when you press a key, make double sure that your Nanokeys is sending the same channel that you've configured SunVox for, and also be aware that some apps use the MIDI Channel # slightly wrongly - i.e. "0" - channel 1, "1" = channel 2, etc. You have to watch for that and tweak before you give up ..

Anyway I don't have my MIDI stuff here right now to test this, but I'll dig into it as soon as I get home tonight.. very exciting to see this on Pandora!

Did anybody succeeded with MIDI so far? I'm really struggling with it.

I'm experienced in MIDI on windows and perhaps Atari ST but linux MIDI is new to me. I did some research and it seems that I'm not able to route input from USB MIDI input to SunVox. I've installed aconnect from Angstrom repo but when I try "aconnect -l", I get this error message:

Code:
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory

can't open sequencer

Torpor, could you please guide me a bit more? In this thread, you are suggesting even the aconnectgui. Do I have to compile it? Any advice or hint is appreciated.

EDIT: OK, I've helped myself :D

Problem solved. I noticed in Seq24 thread something about included alsa sequencer initialization. So I desperately tried to start Seq24 first, then start SunVox ... and hurayyy, MIDI keyboard is appearing in MIDI settings of SunVox.

So I didn't hesitated and ripped some stuff from Seq24 PND and packed it to SunVox. Also added SunVox manual, instruments and examples and will be posting it into repo soon.

This is a rather intuitive and efficiently-coded program (uses quite little of the Pandora's CPU, in contrast to LMMS for example).

I do have a few questions and suggestions.

First of all, how do I delete a note that I have entered in? In one Youtube video, I saw it recommended to use the DEL key to delete notes, because using backspace will not JUST delete the note, but also move all the other notes after it back a space (which you'll probably not want to do). But on the Pandora, using the DEL (shift+backspace) key doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Secondly, f9, f11 and f12 are used as keyboard shortcuts to play and stop. This is very awkward on the Pandora's keyboard. Maybe those could be moved to something else, such as shift+1, shift+2, shift+3? (most keys are already being used, but those ones don't seem to be. Don't use shift+4, though, because the tilde symbol is used for placing an "end note" mark, along with CAPS LOCK).

EDIT: Actually, unless I'm mistaken, SHIFT doesn't work at all in this build of SunVox. That would explain why the DEL key can't be pressed. If I'm right, that's definitely something to fix...

Finally, does anyone know how to change the number of units in a pattern? (32 by default I think) This isn't Pandora-specific, I'm just kinda stuck.

Also, how exactly can you record in realtime? (or by realtime do they mean that you can enter in notes while the song is playing in the background?)

First of all, how do I delete a note that I have entered in? In one Youtube video, I saw it recommended to use the DEL key to delete notes, because using backspace will not JUST delete the note, but also move all the other notes after it back a space (which you'll probably not want to do). But on the Pandora, using the DEL (shift+backspace) key doesn't seem to do anything at all.
AFAIK the non-functional del key is common for all Pandoras but there is some solution.

Secondly, f9, f11 and f12 are used as keyboard shortcuts to play and stop. This is very awkward on the Pandora's keyboard. Maybe those could be moved to something else, such as shift+1, shift+2, shift+3? (most keys are already being used, but those ones don't seem to be. Don't use shift+4, though, because the tilde symbol is used for placing an "end note" mark, along with CAPS LOCK).
I personaly don't see the difference between pushing F9 and Shift+1 on Pandora, they are both double key presses. And while using the full featured keyboard connected via USB hub it would make things even more uncomfortable. Perhaps someone will come with some solution where you could load customized keymaps.

My impression is that keyboard shortcuts are hardcoded into SunVox binary.

EDIT: Actually, unless I'm mistaken, SHIFT doesn't work at all in this build of SunVox. That would explain why the DEL key can't be pressed. If I'm right, that's definitely something to fix...
It seems that ARM version of SunVox has weird key mapping in general.

As a workaround the onscreen edit functions can be used when in rec mode (top right corner).

Finally, does anyone know how to change the number of units in a pattern? (32 by default I think) This isn't Pandora-specific, I'm just kinda stuck.
Do you mean the length of the pattern? This can be changed in pattern properties from menu.

Back