Suggestion For A 32Gb Sd

RobbW

Still Fresh
Hi gang --

Like some of you, my Caanoo is now on it's way (courtesy of Dingoo Digital - Thanks Justin!!).

In any event, I wanted to order a larger SD card than the 16gb Transcend that served me well with my GP2X and saw that Transcend now has a Class 10 32gb card available. There are certainly other brands to choose from, and other classes (Class 6 seems to also get a lot of mentions on the etailer site) but thought I'd throw it out to the crowd for comment to see if Class 10 is overkill for this device, and (if anyone else is using 32gb), what brand/model can we confirm compatibility with thus far?

Warm regards,

RobbW

For me 16g always was enough. Even with music, video and all the roms I never filled it completely.
I would go for a cheap 16g class 6 or higher, because I had a class 4 and it was the pain.

As for class 10, never used one, because you generally only need those for things like HD-cams or really high-def cameras which need to write data to the card really quickly.
I don't think it's worth the massive price increase.

greetings,
derdritte

My jaw dropped the first time I saw a class 10 SD card. I remember back to when I had a DS flashcart... I had to buy a class 4 because my class 2 was way too slow for any games to work. I think you should go with a class 6 or class 10 16 GB or two... unless you either don`t mind the extra price, or you have a camera the Caanoo can share it with, or you have lots of disc images... or use it to store things for your computer... I`d rather get a class 10 16GB, see how that goes, then maybe get another one if I wanted that much storage on a super-fast card. I would wait for the price to drop a bit on 32 GB cards before I buy one.

Hi - thanks for the responses and perspective. For my purposes, my 16gb GP2X used to be pretty full once I had loaded all of my MAME, SNES, NeoGeo and Genesis on it. Ultimately, I think I would also like to use the extra headroom should we see Daphne ported as I think that would be pretty cool to have some laserdisc games on there as well and if not, it can still sub in should my HD cam run out of memory while on a trip. Point being, if the price is right, it seems logical that a 32gb will find it's purpose down the road, if not out the gate. To that end, if I saw that the 32 was 3-4x the cost of the 16, I would definitely just get 2 16's and split stuff up. However, looking at NewEgg, 16x Class 10 seem to hover around $35 whereas a 32gb A-Data Class 10 is $67.99. (other models being closer to $80). The bigger question to me is whether the Caanoo is guaranteed to handle these and not be "fickle" about what you can install? Do we have "general" confirmation that you can install 32gb capacity, and further, not being THAT knowledgable about nuances between class speed, is there any issue with the compatibility based on Class 10 vs 6 vs...etc..?

Warm regards,

RobbW

sorry to butt in on this thread but just wanted to say i purchased a 16 gig sandisk micro sd class 4 and its not working right with the caanoo!

Works on on the pc transferring files and the such but when put onto the caanoo it either doesnt work or only partly works! my 8 gig sandisk clas 4 works fine.... weird

Sorry back to you :)

paul3100

Wow, this is actually really important and primarily the reason we needed a thread like this. When the GP2X first came out, some cards worked and others didn't. We need to catalog these good/bad reports so people can make informed decisions. I hope others will post what works as well as what doesn't.

Robb

paul3100 said:
sorry to butt in on this thread but just wanted to say i purchased a 16 gig sandisk micro sd class 4 and its not working right with the caanoo!

Works on on the pc transferring files and the such but when put onto the caanoo it either doesnt work or only partly works! my 8 gig sandisk clas 4 works fine.... weird

Sorry back to you :)

paul3100

Wow, I've always thought that it is best to stick to the main manufacturers of Secure Digital cards, Sandisc and Kingston. Is there something wrong with your MicroSD? They might wear out after a while (a really long while). I remember with my CycloDS, sometimes it would stop working, or mess up the files, or only partially work, and I used to fix that problem by backing up the files and re-formatting the card every month or so.

I sure hope there will be a Sega CD or Neo Geo CD emulator for the Caanoo, I might get a 16 GB (I might try a class 10 if my budget permits) card in addition to my Kingston 8 GB MicroSD, mf in Japan. Looking back to the days of having a DS flash cart, I remember that I had so many games, movies, music, homebrew, and tv shows on it, that I ran out of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 16 gig sandisk misbrand new! Formatted it quick and full still no difference!

Works fine on the pc as iv said, another thing iv noticed is I put 5 or so films on the 16 gig and only the first would play. Said the others were the wrong file type!!!

Same with photos said they were too large, films were all the same format and the pics were average size , same with games and emulators ... Would load up on but would crash when trying to play a game .

So who knows what's going on

Paul3100

maybe your caanoo is defective? you could get a reaplacement, but I guess you should try other cards first.

I believe he said his 8gb stick works fine...
First off, as a personal habit, I format every stick the moment I get it out of the package. You should use a special SD formatter program, such as the one available here: SD Formatter (http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/)
because most OSes perform disk formats that don't match SD specs.

Now, I don't have a Caanoo yet to be absolutely sure of this, but about kicking out the cash for a Class 10 - you might want to consider it with a 32gb card. I've noticed (though I can't point to specific documentation to confirm) that larger cards simply run slower. Its not about read/write speeds, but access times - the time it takes for the hardware to find a certain chunk of data on the card. The Class specs are for read/write speeds, true, but the higher the class, the fast the access time as well. So, a 4gb Class 2 SD might have the same performance of a 8gb Class 4, but an 8gb Class 2 would be noticably slower. I think folks are right on recommending nothing less than a Class 6 for 16gb cards, and I think you should consider going to class 10 for something as large as 32gb.

Also, if you're like me and are continuously adding and deleting things on your card, you should run an SD format on it every once and a while, to prevent fragmentation (particularly if you fill up the card, then delete some stuff to make space, add more stuff, delete, etc.). Don't use your Windows or other OS to perform a defrag - again, it doesn't match SD specs for the card.

*Edit*
As far as the bad card mentioned by Paul -- the first thing you might want to check is whether the card is bad. It might look fine; the PC could right it just fine, but the data might be getting corrupted by the card. H2testw (for windows or wine under linux) can do that - H2testw I also use this to speed test cards, though it only gives read/write speeds). You'll need to test the whole card, though, so it should be formatted and it'll probably take awhile.

hey all

Thanks to the last post i checked my sd card and found a load of faults on it! emailed the person i bought it from and he confirmed about 30 percent of the cards he had sold were faulty and so iv to get a full refund :) ordered a 32gig sdhc card this time not micro and its a class 6 as the other micro sd was only class 4 so we shall see,

thanks all

paul3100

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/panasonic-announces-speedy-new-8gb-16gb-uhs-i-sdhc-cards/

Hi -

For those of you with a Fry's Electronics nearby, I just pulled the trigger on a Patriot "LX Series" 32gb Class 10. Fry's has it for $89.99 but they are offering a $20 rebate, effectively bringing the cost down to $70 which I'm comfortable with for a name brand card. @Remy: Thank you for those valuable tools...I'll use them as I get the card ready for the Caanoo. I'm travelling today but will hopefully find that my mailed Caanoo will be waiting for me when I get back home tonight and once tested, I'll let you guys know how this card does.

Best,

RobbW

RobbW,

I purchased a Patriot "LX Series" 32gb Class 10 card from New Egg right around the time the Wiz first came out. It has worked with zero issues in my Wiz, ODROID-S, and now my Caanoo. Great choice, and you can't beat it for the price.

Back