What Class Of Sd Card Will We Get?

puppydee

Linux Virgin!
Website
Visit site
When i ordered my pre-order pandora I also bought a 32GB card aswell. What class will they be? I never really thought about it before until gruso mentioned sd cards on the community blog. I'm assuming they're SanDisk cards since that's the only make of card on GBAX. Any info would be great, I'm also assuming it'll come with my pandora along with the tv cable. They will all come together wont they? thanks for the info in advance :)

Edit: Don't worry gruso I'm not going off what you wrote about classes of sd cards. You just jogged my memory to ask what class and make the 32GB cards are. I've had a few class 2 cards over the last few years, I have a 16GB class 2 in my Gp2X at the moment and it's as slow as hell and takes forever to write to/from so I wouldn't want one of that speed for my pandora so if that was the case I'd rather source my own faster card. I don't however think craigx would send class 2 cards anyway especially since the prices of cards has come down over the last year or so since we ordered the cards anyway. I suppose I could get by with a class 4 but a class 6 would be better even if i had to cough up a few quid more for better speeds :D

I'll just chime in here and say that my speed class info on the blog is going to be revised. The 2/4/6 classes are only part of the story, I've learned a lot more thanks to the blog commenters. I just have to read up and condense the info so the article doesn't turn into a wikipedia page.

I ordered a card too(I think it was 16 GB) I would like to know what class it is too. If I get a class 2 card I will not be satisfied in any way. Especially since they are much cheaper now than over a year ago...

puppydee said:

For my PANDORA, I'm going to get a 32GB Panasonic SDHC card - Class 10. B)

http://www.panasonic...2767/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sony, if you really get one of those post the speeds you get here. I have noticed that my class 6 cards are faster than the class 4 cards I have, but not by much.

SONY said:
puppydee said:

For my PANDORA, I'm going to get a 32GB Panasonic SDHC card - Class 10. B)

http://www.panasonic...2767/index.html
wow those are a little more expensive then im willing to pay for speed increase a difference of class 6 $60USD class 10 $299USD
I ordered one of these 32 GB Class 10 Patriot LX SDHC cards for $115.90 USD Great Deal might get another when my pandora actually arrives until then this will be used in my wii for linux. ID recommend it to anyone reliable seller, and low price actually under half of the competitors price's cheapest fastest i could find on reliable sites you could get two for the price of one of the panasonic ones.

second exodous said:
Hey Sony, if you really get one of those post the speeds you get here. I have noticed that my class 6 cards are faster than the class 4 cards I have, but not by much.

I certainly will keep you posted.

And it's interesting that you'd mention read/write speeds, because I just read THIS~!

32gb-card_extreme30mb.jpg by Thomas Ricker writer_rss.gif posted Jun 25th 2009 at 4:01AM

When it comes to claims of being the world's first or fastest, there's a big difference between announcing product and actually delivering it for retail. So let's be clear, SanDisk might be announcing the world's fastest 32GB SDHC card today, but it won't be shipping until August. It's not even the first 32GB class 10 SDHC card announced since Panasonic did its unveiling more than a month ago -- and this is where SanDisk's speed claims get confusing. That "class 10" logo is supposed to be a standard means of identify the card's speed as rated by the SD Association. Yet SanDisk claims a max read/write speed of 30MBps whereas Panasonic claims a max of just 22MBps. Guess we'll have to see head-to-head benchmarks to know the truth. Regardless, it is fast and that makes it suitable for capturing 160 minutes of full HD (1920x1080 pixels) video recorded at 24Mbps.

It would be really useful to know what the Pandora's SDHC interface is capable off. That way we can match our cards to that.

I've gone for some class 6 Lexar Pro 8GB cards for running operating systems on, and cheap and cheerful class 4 Kingston 16GB cards for storage (ROMS/ISOs/music/video etc). :)

Edit - Tom's hardware has a useful SDHC performance chart: SDHC Performance charts

There's not much use getting a really high class card, Class 4 should be more than enough.

Classes don't really make any sense. If you were to assign a Class to the Pandora's RAM, it'd be Class 64, because the Pandora has over 64MB of RAM, right? ;)

Really doesn't give the whole picture. I went with A-DATA 16GB Class6, and got > 10.5MB/sec read/write speeds.

If you want ultimate speed, go Lexar.

i have a question. does an sdhc card get used by itself or does it need one of those tiny black memory insert thingys? you know the little ones you put in a usb reader to put files on then put it in your bigger card then put the bigger card into the pandora. if the sdhc card doesnt need the tiny memory thingy how do you put files from your computer onto the sdhc card? isnt it too big to fit into the micro usb reader?

zohnnyg said:
i have a question. does an sdhc card get used by itself or does it need one of those tiny black memory insert thingys? you know the little ones you put in a usb reader to put files on then put it in your bigger card then put the bigger card into the pandora. if the sdhc card doesnt need the tiny memory thingy how do you put files from your computer onto the sdhc card? isnt it too big to fit into the micro usb reader?
SDHC refers to the amount of storage the card can theoretically hold, not its physical size.
SD can be up to 2 gigs
SDHC can be up to 32 gigs
SDXC can be up to 2 terrabytes
All three look exactly the same on the outside.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
SD_Cards.svg

When people talk about "SD" and "SDHC" (and now "SDXC") they are usually talking about the standard, large format. The Pandora uses these. Every USB reader I've come across uses these as well.
Some devices need small, things like cell phones where smaller is always better (or so it seems, me and my huge phone disagree). These devices use the SD mini or, more likely, SD micro. Usually, SD mini and micro cards come with an adapter to make it the regular size. All the adapter does is run some "wires" between the little card and the big card.
If you have an SD mini or micro, then you will need an adapter to use it in a USB reader or the Pandora.
It seems to me that what you are calling the SDHC card is really just the adapter, and the "tiny black memory insert thingys" is ACTUALLY the memory itself. Yes, you need that tiny black memory insert thingy, because that is the SDHC card. The other part just allows you to use that tiny SDHC card in devices that take the larger SDHC cards, like the Pandora.

how is it possible for people to know about the pandora, but not know the difference between an sd and microsd card? or even know that theres different speeds to memory cards?

If memory serves, 4GB SD Cards were not within the specification, and such cards don't work in all devices. :p

4gb sd cards are the tallest midget of the memory card world

Prometheus said:
If memory serves, 4GB SD Cards were not within the specification, and such cards don't work in all devices. :p

you're right they weren't in the original spec - but they work fine in all the devices I have ever tried them in - various PCs (incl eeepc), various digital cameras - including samsung, casio & kodak, and all the card reader I have ever used. In fact I've never had a problem with it.

Prometheus said:

Yeah, some card reader controllers use signed ints. They get messed up pretty bad.

'signed ints' aren't the problem - there are only enough bits allocated in the SD card record to identify up to 2GB of storage. There's a bit that was designed for another purpose (block size, which ended up being the same for every card ever produced anyway) that was stolen and used to increase the maximum capacity to 4GB. A reader would have to explicitly know about the hack to read a 4GB card properly; if the reader followed the published SD card standard properly then it wouldn't work.

(I hacked a few binary-only proprietary SD reader driver modules to support 4GB, so I know this rather intimately...)

Back