Moving my Apps to a faster SD card

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I have bought myself an 8GB class 10 SD card to replace my 8GB class 4 (I have a 32GB class 4 Data card) and all I want to do is transfer my apps over to the new card. So, my question is. Is there a way to just copy my apps across without losing all my settings, bookmarks etc or do I have to build the card afresh?

I though it was simply a matter of formatting the new card and copying the contents of the old card to the new one but lot's of my apps had issues e.g AbiWord wouldn't load docs from the recent docs list, Firefox had bookmark issues etc.

None of this is critical and I'm happy to rebuild but if there's a quick way that saves me faffing about I'm all for it :D

I have bought myself an 8GB class 10 SD card to replace my 8GB class 4 (I have a 32GB class 4 Data card) and all I want to do is transfer my apps over to the new card. So, my question is. Is there a way to just copy my apps across without losing all my settings, bookmarks etc or do I have to build the card afresh?

I though it was simply a matter of formatting the new card and copying the contents of the old card to the new one but lot's of my apps had issues e.g AbiWord wouldn't load docs from the recent docs list, Firefox had bookmark issues etc.

None of this is critical and I'm happy to rebuild but if there's a quick way that saves me faffing about I'm all for it :D
If everything is stored in the Appdata folder as it should be then just copying all files/folders should be all you need,

Maybe ABIword touches the nand? I think firefox has a config to set the "config folder" which IIRC defaults to the nand.

As meandu229 says, the settings for the application are probably in the appdata folder, unless the app is writing some stuff to nand.

Some/most apps might use a script to export the home directory to avoid writing to nand.

If you can find another app which stores settings you can check how that works and compare.

Did you give the SD cards the same name?

Just changed from an 8GB card to a 16GB one for my Apps card, named both cards PAN_APPS copied over everything from the old to the new card and all was well.

Did you give the SD cards the same name?

Just changed from an 8GB card to a 16GB one for my Apps card, named both cards PAN_APPS copied over everything from the old to the new card and all was well.

I believe so unless I used the wrong case somewhere in the name. I'll check when I get home from work.

Cheers

EDIT: Just had a free 5 mins at work and had a look. Both are named the same :(

Oh well I think I'll just build the card from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

Good point Mr_Loon, any path references which might be stored in appdata may differ, if your new card has a different name.

But should they not be found not by a absolute path but by relative? (but that sounds likely why abi word didnt find recent files)
Most will just use relative path of "." or absolute path of "/mnt/utmp/<app>", but there's probably a few (such as abi word or other applications that let you select files anywhere) that store them as absolute. That would be why AbiWord lost its recent list, but Firefox should definitely have kept its bookmarks as those are just stored in the appdata directory. Odd.

Back