Sub-sub Notebooks

Phawx

Professional Derailer
http://blogs.computerworld.com/call_it_a_s...as_a_cell_phone

This guy is really tiny. But, the reason I like the Pandora better is because of the gaming controls built into it and we've already seen it can run Ubuntu and FF3.

For me, when I saw sub-notebooks, I didn't feel the price was warranted. I could get a notebook that had better specs and a bigger screen for the same price.

When I hear the word, sub-notebook, or 'NetBook' I thought, and now think of, The Pandora. Something that is stupidly light, has great battery life and is a functional PC. The only thing better about the Pandora is that it pimps gaming controls.

What I am getting at is, Damn I feel lucky that I got a pre-order and the 'rest' of the world doesn't realize Pandora is 'better than sliced bread'.

I think when the rest of the world sees working 'Production' Units they will see the folly of their ways.

Frankly I do not see what the interest would be in this device. The keyboard is extremely small and is just like any other smartphone on the market. It's processor doesn't seem too promising and productivity is questionable. I would much rather purchase a Pocket PC than this. This device lacks power and a large screen, it's nothing more than a smartphone without the phone ;) It also lacks any audio jack. Not really interested...

The Pandora seems to be the perfect blend between portability and functionality, I'm very interested in how the Pandora turns out

To learn more about this device go to http://imovio.com/ and browse (ikit is what this is called btw). Once you click on iKit in the middle check out the applications page.

EDIT: The iPod Touch is a better device function-wise than this :/

Phawx said:

This guy is really tiny. But, the reason I like the Pandora better is because of the gaming controls built into it and we've already seen it can run Ubuntu and FF3.

For me, when I saw sub-notebooks, I didn't feel the price was warranted. I could get a notebook that had better specs and a bigger screen for the same price.

When I hear the word, sub-notebook, or 'NetBook' I thought, and now think of, The Pandora. Something that is stupidly light, has great battery life and is a functional PC. The only thing better about the Pandora is that it pimps gaming controls.

What I am getting at is, Damn I feel lucky that I got a pre-order and the 'rest' of the world doesn't realize Pandora is 'better than sliced bread'.

I think when the rest of the world sees working 'Production' Units they will see the folly of their ways.

The idea isn't bad, but unfortunately, they just took an old PocketPC and put it in a clamshell ;)
Pxa270 312 MHz, 64MB RAM and QVGA isn't up to date any more :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Phawx said:

I know what you mean. I've always felt my laptop is too chucky. Easy to carry, difficult to use on the move. Pandora should be very flexible, gaming or basic laptop applications.

Can't wait

Hmm, I think some of you guys are missing the point. The link I showed wasn't to say I liked the device. I like the Pandora MUCH better, obviously I am here, I was just saying how devices like 'these' are going to be cropping up and Pandora is much better suited for this.

I think when we all get ours and we show them off to people, they will be clamoring to get them.

Yes, Pandora may be much better at what it does, but it's also twice the cost. Different priorities for different people.

yes if the pandora is twice as much in cost as that device you can understand why seeing as the pandora is x2 everything that device has to offer,you would be wasting money buying such a device,wait it out and get a pandora with a linux distro and your sorted.

that thing strikes me as completely useless. Anyone it is targeting is much better off getting a phone with a full keyboard as it will be both more functional and cheaper. (or, as much as I hate to say it, an iphone or similar). not to mention, no need to carry 2 devices

the pandora on the other hand allows you to play and work much harder. It nicely bridges the gap between pda and notebook, as well as working as a portable game system and a pmp. In my opinion its the perfect device for anyone from highly mobile businessmen to mobile music fiends, to hardcore gamers and everyone in between

So, hold on a minute: what is the point of this topic??
The forum is full of pointless topics from people who preordered and just start topics to say that pandora is fantastic, it's the best thing that happened in the last 5 years etc.
Come on guys, wait until you actually have the pandora in your hands. What is that all about?
I preordered mine but I'm not gonna say it's amazing until I actually have a chance to use it. And I'm not gonna go around the forum just to say I'm so happy, it's so good and those who didn't preorder are missing something.
Just, calm down!

yeah, that thing is worthless. It's like a phone, except without the phone part...

and subnotebooks are really stupid. They're simultaneously too small and too big, except the macbook air, which is the flagship of overpriced stupidity. Who cares how thin it is if it's still big and heavy and has horrible specs and pricing? I swear that thing would have immediately flopped if it wasn't painted white with an apple logo on it.

oops, am I ranting

ttcircus said:
So, hold on a minute: what is the point of this topic??

Wait up!! So you mean that topics can have a point? You're gonna have to explain that concept a bit more. :D

I argue the exact opposite. Pandora will decrease productivity, by a lot. Yeah, youll boot up for the word processing, but stay for the Lode Runner.

The point of the topic is that there is a new niche market for Sub-Sub-notebooks and the Pandora will be one of the first in that market. regardless if most of us haven't handled the Pandora, we have seen it running ubuntu and FF3, not gimped PDA apps.

Maybe we should just merge General/News/Development into just /Development/ and have it so only developers can post.

Were you FORCED to click on a topic titled, "Pandora - A Sub-Sub Notebook"? Couldn't glean an idea of what that meant?

Maybe I look at the definition of 'General' different than most. Sorry, I felt it was news worth reporting, but it was news pertaining to the Pandora in a non-technical manner.

It's the internet, don't take everything so personally.
the thing is, there have been hundreds of 'idle chat' topics that never lead anywhere than pointless posts.

It has obviously reached that time when devices with some similarities to Pandora are starting to come out. Before everyone flames or bitches, by similar I simply mean similar form factor devices that could either do similar things or appeal to gadget fans with different priorities. Just look at engadget over the last few days:

miu-hdpc-600.jpg
link, hoped for price of $500
sfr-mipcpocket-live-21.jpg
link, $310

You might not think there is any similarity, but others will. Like Chad said some time back, when Pandora finally ships there may be other things released that may give more bang for your buck (or something like that). I know there are plenty of features that make us all think Pandora is unique, but these type of devices could attract potential customers.

TaG said:
It has obviously reached that time when devices with some similarities to Pandora are starting to come out. Before everyone flames or bitches, by similar I simply mean similar form factor devices that could either do similar things or appeal to gadget fans with different priorities. Just look at engadget over the last few days:

miu-hdpc-600.jpg
link, hoped for price of $500
sfr-mipcpocket-live-21.jpg
link, $310

You might not think there is any similarity, but others will. Like Chad said some time back, when Pandora finally ships there may be other things released that may give more bang for your buck (or something like that). I know there are plenty of features that make us all think Pandora is unique, but these type of devices could attract potential customers.

Neither of which have enough graphics muscle or CPU muscle or power consumption to match Pandora.

I've been tracking all this stuff out there (I need to for a business venture I'm involved with...) and they aren't the same thing yet and won't be for a while. The only thing these things have for them is that they provide x86 execution in a handheld device. This is more of the same trying to get Windows XP/Vista into a handheld and doing it poorly.

I agree they are not the same - but thats because we can read the spec - others will think they are superior as they run Windows. Not my fault people won't understand...

Let's fight for ARM :)
It will be very interesting to compare the different convergence products. We know, who will win the battery life comparison. I'm very interested in an overall performance comparison. So get your ARM assembly books ready :p

Back