Rip PS1 games... bin/cue or ccd/sub/img? Then playing with PCSX

batfastad

Hi everyone

I've just gone through a whole bunch of my old PS1 games and ripped them to bin/cue format. However I've been reading since it creates a more accurate copy (not quite 1:1, but close) of the original.

1) With a .cue/.bin obviously the name of the .bin has to match what's referenced in the .cue.

Is there a similar thing with ccd/sub/img?

I've renamed the files of most of my ccd/sub/img rips but not modified any internal references to these files. Is that necessary? I've not found any hard-coded references to the file names within the ccd/sub/img files but thought I better check.

2) Does ripping to bin/cue or ccd/sub/img make any difference for actual playback of the game?

Cheers, B

Most of mine are EBOOT.PBP and they play fabulously...i know that really does not help you.

The others are .bin. I never used ccd/sub/img. Yes the bin & cue match. Same thing with .iso I think.

My eboot games play as well as the bin games for PS1.

Last edited:
In ccd/sub/img, .img is basically the same file as .bin in cue/bin and .ccd is the .cue equivalent (you can open it with a text editor).

The main difference is the extra .sub file, which contains subchannel data from CD. The only thing sub is useful for is emulating libcrypt copy protection present in some games. You can check redump.org to see if your game is with copy protection, if it's not, there is no reason to keep the .sub file.

whether the are .cue/.bin or .ccd/.img/.sub i compress the disk images into EBOOT's using PSX2PSP. In some cases i find the games actually run better when compressed in this way and you save valuable SD Card space.

Yeah I had a look in the .ccd file and couldn't find any references to the .sub/.img files. So I'm assuming that means if I rename the files I don't have to update any pointers within any of the files to point to the new name... as I would with a .cue to point to the new .bin file name?

So if a game runs ok as a .cue/.bin then I suppose it's fair to assume that there's no advantage in re-ripping to a CloneCD image?

When using .cue/.bin files with PCSX on the Pandora, should I be able to open either the .cue or the .bin in the emulator?

I'm finding my .cue files inconsistent... some loading, others not. I am referencing the correct .bin filename within the .cue as well.

Cheers, B

Yeah I had a look in the .ccd file and couldn't find any references to the .sub/.img files. So I'm assuming that means if I rename the files I don't have to update any pointers within any of the files to point to the new name... as I would with a .cue to point to the new .bin file name?

So if a game runs ok as a .cue/.bin then I suppose it's fair to assume that there's no advantage in re-ripping to a CloneCD image?

When using .cue/.bin files with PCSX on the Pandora, should I be able to open either the .cue or the .bin in the emulator?

I'm finding my .cue files inconsistent... some loading, others not. I am referencing the correct .bin filename within the .cue as well.

Cheers, B
I open with .bin always... never did .cue.

Last edited:

Cheers, B
Is there any path specified in the first line of the .cue? If it's not just the filename-

FILE="yourgamename.bin" BINARY

that'll lead to both bin and cue showing (IIRC)

- it'll still run correctly though, no matter which you launch, if the .cue is otherwise ok.

No case difference between filenames? Can't recall if that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for EBOOT - the space saved over a few ISOs is huge, and they all run flawlessly while contained in one file.

D.

I've ripped mine with CloneCD, compressed them to eBoot and renamed them properly.

Being able to handle PSX-Isos as smaller rom files and feeding these to the Pandora rocks.

Case differences do matter. I.e. if your bin is called ffvii.bin, and your cue refers to FFVII.BIN, then it won't work (at least if I remember correctly). 

Regarding bin/cue vs ccd/img/sub: It is quite possible to rip your games to a bin/cue either with or without subchannel data. I did that just a month ago - Ripped the first FFIX disk to bin/cue, tried to run and got the black screen, slapped my forehead, re-ripped to a bin/cue with the added "read subchannel data" option set, and that second rip worked excellently.

So it must be some sort of problem with my .cue files that's stopping some of them from playing in PCSX. I'll have a closer look.

I want to make sure that my rips also work with ePSXe as well, so I think eboots might be out of the quesiton.

What do people use to rip to .cue/.bin format?

At the moment I'm using a really old version of UltraISO on Windows which seems to do the job. Is there anything for Linux that I could use?

Cheers, B

I want to make sure that my rips also work with ePSXe as well, so I think eboots might be out of the quesiton.
The current version of ePSXe can read eBoot as well as PCSX-Rearmed.

Maybe you missed the last two updates.

They are playable since 1.8.0 and by now we have ePSXe 1.9.0.

http://www.epsxe.com/

eBoots are everywhere since last year.

Back