Still use your gp32? Gp2x? Wiz? Caanop? (Zodiac...)

Putting another cap in shouldn't be too hard, if you can find out where it fell out of :) Theres not a lot in a gp2x IIRC .. even a surface mount cap, a single one, is usually not too bad if you've got a steady hand and a small tip soldering iron, or know someone who does.

gpRogue! :)

jeff

Still use my FLU for gpRogue - still works better than any version on the Pandora...

My gp2x just gathers dust - battery life is rubbish since a capacitor fell out. I would probably still play SqDef on it though - loved that game.  What happened to Alex?
I'm still around, just didn't have much time lately to spend on my homebrew games. I'm happy to hear you remember Sqdef! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold them all, wenn I received my Pandora. 

I had been collecting handhelds for years. But sold them all to pay for my vacation to Japan back in 2013.

You made me pull out my GP2X, Wiz, and Caannoo collection .. well, its still a huge hassle to set them up.  Wish someone would just send me a SD image or two .. ;)

You made me pull out my GP2X, Wiz, and Caannoo collection .. well, its still a huge hassle to set them up.  Wish someone would just send me a SD image or two .. ;)
Truth :)

Its not a bad idea actually.. ready to go tarball/zipball of stuff, sans ROMs/gamefiles. Doesn't have to be a SD image or large.. just get a working SD, zip the bastard up :)

Anyone? ;)

jeff

A friend of mine on another forum (Yakyak) is just about making ends meet as an artist, so can't afford any nice gadgets so I sent him my GP2X as a gift, which he really likes. I didn't use it anymore, and he gets more out of it than I can so it worked out well :)

D.

Recently added to/dug up my collection tbh, found gp32s, gp2x, caanoo, wiz, zodiac, ngpc, letcool and got them all set up pretty much with every game available for the systems installed to cards and ready to go!

Truth :)

Its not a bad idea actually.. ready to go tarball/zipball of stuff, sans ROMs/gamefiles. Doesn't have to be a SD image or large.. just get a working SD, zip the bastard up :)

Anyone? ;)

jeff

i think i have two GP2X application archives (a 4GB one and a smaller one); i'll check at home this week. where's a good place to host them? maybe ED wants to...

Hello All,

A bit late replying to this thread, but yeah, I still use a whole load of my older handhelds.

I've been busy updating MAME4ALL on the Dingoo A320 and now have rolled all my updates so that my other handhelds: GCW-Zero, GP2X, Wiz, Nanonote, Zaurus can also enjoy these updates. :)

I've also been busy with my own XMAME port for GCW-Zero, Pandora, Raspberry PI and Creator CI-20.

Of all the handhelds I have I think the GP2X is the best all rounder [once the controller is modded].

I changed my GP2X F-100s to DaveC's N-GAGE pad as soon as I could (at least 7 years ago now) and it's still going strong!

I recently modded my 2nd F-100 so that it's also has DaveC's pad (it's my backup unit).

I recently acquired an F-200 - it's so nice EXCEPT the D-PAD! All these years I was thinking thinking the D-PAD on the F-200 would rock - not really. Is there a good mod for this one?

The GCW-Zero also rocks but it should given it's vintage compared to the GP2X.

So has anyone else got a Sharp Zaurus? I have a CL-860 and recently ported MAME4ALL to it... For a 400Mhz ARM CPU machine it's disappointingly slow. Here I'm thinking superior speeds to GP2X but sorely mistaken. I'm using Cacko v1.23, BVVM, libsdl 1.2.5-slzaurus20041025-j from the Cacko feed. This seems to be the only libsdl which properly supports 320x240 modes on my Zaurus.

I recently acquired an F-200 - it's so nice EXCEPT the D-PAD! All these years I was thinking thinking the D-PAD on the F-200 would rock - not really. Is there a good mod for this one?

Yes, a very simple one: There are DPad stickers for PSP pads. You can choose your favourite one, they fit perfectly on the F-200 :)

Haha this is a cool thread. Lots of old familiar "faces". I still take out my gp32 for a couple of days sometimes. It's nice for nes/gb/pcengine and some good old homebrew. Battery life is still decent and it feels so good in my hands ^^. I never got a bigger card for mine though. Wish I had a 128mb card. My gp2x is collecting dust though. I loved it when it was with me but once I got a pandora, I kinda lost interest. I got in late and there was already all these ports and ginge was out as well.

This makes me want to finally repair my F-200 and change that awful d-pad. I always used my F-100 but never did a d-pad mod on it, even though I got a nokia ngage d-pad that I bought for that purpose. Modding the F-200 sounds way easier though.

I went to use my F200 recently - unfortunately the SD card is missing :(

I know there's a directory structure on the Pandora and Caanoo, but I can't remember for the GP2X - can anyone tell me what it is (if there is one).

The GP2X (F200) paper "manual" doesn't mention anything to do with files - I looked there first. Anyway, after your reply I rooted through my GP2X box and found the CD that came with the machine. Thankfully it lists it - simply place folders on the root of the SD card, labelled "game", "music" etc. and pop the appropriate media into each.

Seemples. :D

Still got my GP2X collection, a Wiz, a Caannoo .. two Pandora's.  Can't stand the idea of getting rid of any of 'em, even though I hardly use any but the Pandora.  Would be nice to dig them out and play, maybe I'll do it soon .. 

It's not that easy modding your GP2X's D-PAD with an N-GAGE part unless you have DaveC's mod kit. 

This consists of the N-GAGE controller pad, a rubber silicon micro-switch pad (this may also belong to the N-GAGE) and a small custom-made PCB riser board to bring it along with the contacts to the correct height. I wish I would have photographed the bits in detail before performing the mod in case I wanted to do it again.

From a developer's point of view the GP2X is awesome! It really has awesome and interesting hardware to play with. There really still has untapped potential.

slaanesh: It looks like fcycles HW libs hit the hardware pretty good nowadays though, what I don't get is how the GP2X did with 200Mhz what lots of other systems can't...

I recently moved and took the chance to dig out all my handhelds again, now I have my GP2X F200 hooked up to a projector and usb gamepads, fahreaking sweet! Although Snakes on Dope on a 90" screen almost makes me sick to my stomach :p

Iprice, yeah you can just stick the folders you want in SD root and browse them via the native gp2xmenu. If you use gmenu2x just make sure the 'gmenu2x' folder and 'autorun.gpu' is in root and Auto Run is switched on in 'System'. I recently took some screen grabs of what I have still have on my f100 32gb SD:

https://boards.openpandora.org/topic/5600069-gp2x-gp32-repositories/#comment-403555

Slaanesh, that's great you've updated MAME4ALL for those other handhelds. I have your v1.3 release on my a320.

There are detailed photos in the PDF Installation Guide of DaveC's dpad mod kit. It's still in the archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,2098

I have an f100 and f200. I'm also not keen on the f200 dpad. I might look into modding it at some point, or look for one of those PSP dpad stickers EvilDragon mentioned. Regarding the f100, I think I'm one of the minority that likes that little joystick. I prefer it to a dpad for Doom and other FPS. For Sensible Soccer I do prefer the Pandora or a320 dpad though. I remember on the earlier edition GP2X's the joysticks weren't great, but I find the f100(B) version fine. The only thing that bugs me is the stick-click. In some apps (eg. Vice2x) it doubles up as the fire button which I don't like. In fact, it grated on me that much I disabled the stick-click button and fitted a replacement button for it below the joystick (see pic below). I wanted to keep the stick-click functionality as I use it as the map key in Heretic and Hexen.

gp2xjoyclick.jpg

Back