Stereoscopic 3D question

Not really. I have to stare past them until my brain notices there are two out-of-focus but similar regions in front of both eyes and pull my lenses into focus, then I can see them. When I first started looking at them, my brain used to freak out quite often and drop me out of them as I tried to change focus on different levels of the picture, but now I can fairly reliably sustain the effect.

To learn wide-eyed viewing I recommend starting with small images close together and slowly work your way up, so Yoyobuae's suggestion about zooming out the image strikes me as a good one.

The key with smaller images is to relax your eyes. Let them look into the distance beyond whatever happens to be in front of you. This is a natural position for the eyes as it's just like looking at something a long way away, (like a distant mountain) so it should be quite comfortable. I find I actually do this automatically when thinking about something other than whatever happens to be on the screen in front of me.

Once the images get large enough to be further apart than your eyes it becomes a matter of control and it can be difficult and uncomfortable at first because the eyes don't naturally move that far apart. It does become easier with practice though. :)

Here's one other thing you might try to get used to the idea of looking beyond the screen. (or any other object for that matter) Hold up a finger between your eyes and the screen. Keep focusing on your screen and you should see two images of your finger. Shift your attention to your finger, but don't let the two images of it come together. Try moving it away from your face while keeping the two images of it apart. See if you can move it all the way to the screen without bringing the two images of it together.

- Neelix

Neelix, thanks for the finger trick.  I think this may be the key.  No luck yet, though.

Back