Release StepMania

lunixbochs

Staff member
I'm finally ready for a proper StepMania release.

I recommend using both the D-PAD and ABXY to press arrows. You might also be able to get a USB dance mat working.

This is a port made possible by libGL.

You'll need to download songs and put them in appdata before you can play. There are song links on stepmania.com and across the web.

Download from the Repo

Last edited by a moderator:
Lame. Seems I had one of those in /usr/lib. Just deleted it from my Pandora and reuploaded the PND with it included.

ok will check now!

Awesomesauce! This version cleans up the hold arrows and fixes background images!

I attempted to play a background video but it seemed to be tiled and not scaled properly

but very nice work! :)

The life bar flickers and doesn't show your remaining life.

The "Config Key/Joy Mappings" screen still doesn't show your current selection so it's highly impractical to use.

Also, I think turning on event mode by default would be a minor enhancement.

Overall, it's playable but the life bar issue is particularly problematic. If that is fixed, I think this could be a really awesome release :)

I attempted to play a background video but it seemed to be tiled and not scaled properly
Yeah, the one I tried only actually showed for a few seconds until it showed a garbled still image for the rest of the song.

How does adding songs work? I've downloaded a .smzip file, had it in the appdata/stepmania/songs dir, didn't work, then extracted everything, so I had the .ctr file in the stepmania folder, and in the songs folder the actual folder which includes the songs. The app doesn't find them. I'd appreciate clearer instructions on this :)

/>

The "Config Key/Joy Mappings" screen still doesn't show your current selection so it's highly impractical to use.

Overall, it's playable but the life bar issue is particularly problematic. If that is fixed, I think this could be a really awesome release :)
Try a different SGX driver!

How does adding songs work? I've downloaded a .smzip file, had it in the appdata/stepmania/songs dir, didn't work, then extracted everything, so I had the .ctr file in the stepmania folder, and in the songs folder the actual folder which includes the songs. The app doesn't find them. I'd appreciate clearer instructions on this :)
Does this help?

Yeah, the one I tried only actually showed for a few seconds until it showed a garbled still image for the rest of the song.
I didn't have a background video handy to test. Mind linking to a song with one so I can?

Life bar works fine for me on the latest driver on 1GHz. I remember it might've had artifacting on a previous driver version but it still showed up for me.

I'll trace/fix the "Config Key / Joy Mappings" screen after I fix the last couple of issues in armagetronad.

Event mode is a good call. I forgot because I never played more than a few songs in a row when testing :)

If anyone's a bit adventurous, I'm curious if the ITG theme works here.

I recommend using both the D-PAD and ABXY to press arrows. You might also be able to get a USB dance mat working.
Ok, your request is my order ;)

After i have set the keycodes for my mat in keymap.ini i could use it just fine in all menu parts of stepmania. At the start of a song, after the "stage 1" screen stepmania crashes.

These Messages are all i could get:

Launching StepMania

./.package/run: line 30:  8757 Segmentation fault      LIBGL_FB=1 LIBGL_XREFRESH=1 ./stepmania

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/stepmania': Device or resource busy

Great job, thanks. This is a very nice piece of software and I always thought the Pandora was not able to handle it, but it works very well on my classic pandora.

Installed lots of songs and I did encounter an occasional crash with a couple of them but the majority of songs are working great. Hours of fun. 

'last resort - papa roach' recommended :)

Do you have any songs that consistently crash?

I just uploaded a new version that prints a stacktrace to /tmp/pndrun_stepmania.out if it crashes. Any crash reports would be helpful.

Works pretty well, occasionally playing a song will segfault the game but this appears to happen at random. Seems responsive enough, get a few greats but that may be due to the song offset or because I'm not used to playing in this configuration. Custom themes and noteskins mostly work as expected, though some high-detail themes can lag (no problem with actual gameplay because all themes are thankfully sparse there, just screens like the options, title and song select screens). Some alpha transparency errors (is this not implemented yet?).

Overall a very nice job at porting. Definitely useable. Nice to edit simfiles on the road. Just a question though, why did you choose to port the obsolete version 3.9 and not Stepmania 5 or OpenITG? (or even stepmania 3.9+?)

StepMania 5 segfaults on start and I didn't find a better source repo for a 3.9 variant. I haven't looked much into OpenITG. StepMania 3.9 was also more likely to render on an older device.

This uses my libGL, so any rendering issues (like a problem with alpha transparency) are likely related to quirks in translation. If you screenshot or tell me how to reproduce, I can look into them.

The slowdowns for me appear to be mostly on screens with large amounts of text. The newly-uploaded version has a libGL with a much faster quad rendering pipeline, so things should be a bit smoother.

Do you have any songs that consistently crash?

I just uploaded a new version that prints a stacktrace to /tmp/pndrun_stepmania.out if it crashes. Any crash reports would be helpful.
Yep, one fails every time. Just sent you a pm with the .out file. 

If you screenshot or tell me how to reproduce, I can look into them.

The slowdowns for me appear to be mostly on screens with large amounts of text. The newly-uploaded version has a libGL with a much faster quad rendering pipeline, so things should be a bit smoother.
I'm just preparing a quick video showing you some of the alpha bugs and one of the custom themes I was talking about (it's very graphically intensive with loads of graphics flying about in the background).

Edit: Since my camera seems to dislike my Pandora's screen and like distorting my voice into an ear-raping unintelligible mess I'll just try and describe how to recreate some of the alpha bugs.

Play a song with the default theme, and you'll notice the "READY" and "HERE WE GO" texts that appear just as you're about to play don't fade in; they just cut in and out.

Changing songs on the song selection screen: the banner display doesn't fade between different banners; it just cuts between them.

In the song editor, when selecting arrows using Space, the range indicator is opaque, not transparent, making the guide lines behind the arrows invisible (the arrows are in front of the range thing).

You also may notice that the text doesn't "pulse" colour - in the PC version, the main menu entry that is selected will softly fade between green and white. While this is negligible on its own, going into the "Config Key/Joy Mappings" menu will reveal the real problem - this soft fading is the only way to know what option is currently selected and without it there is no visual feedback.

Also, I tried out the newest version with the graphically intensive custom theme I mentioned earlier (NEX by k//eternal, you can find it here) and unfortunately the pandora still struggles with it. I'm running a Rebirth edition Pandora at 900 MHz, for what it's worth (any less MHz and the songs would begin to lag and break up).

I released 3.9.0.3 that fixes a crash when loading textures for a stage. I don't know of any other crashes yet.

Thanks for solving the crash issues. 

There were 2 songs that I knew for sure they crashed in the previous version. They are working fine now :)  

Tested a couple that I suspected to crash before, but didn't know for sure and they all worked fine too. 

Back