Dance2x Alpha 0.1

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
What is it
It was *meant* to be a Stepmania/DDR clone for the GP2X. It didn't quite make it so I am releasing what I have so far with the source so someone else can improve, or finish the project.

243nc6v.png
243nccj.png

Thanks to
- Vynx for the background graphics
- Rob Miles for supervising this project
- Paeryn for the HW SDL Libs
- The developers at Stepmania for letting me use their graphics set
[CUT]
- The QA team
- Azure
- Quiest
- Phil
- The guys on the #gp2xdev channel

Version 0.1
- No freeze arrow or BPM change support
- Hardcoded to one song and one difficulty level

Controls
Both the face buttons and Joystick are in play for the directions in game.
Hold down Select in game to exit back to main menu.

B: Forward/Select in Menus

What next
I unfortunately don't have any plans to continue this project until at least the Report (that I have to do) is done. Even then I will be planning to redo/redesign the backend of the 2D engine to increase the performence and possibly entering the Community Game Competition with a different game.

However the source is available (for non commercial use) and there hooks are there for loading other songs, it is just lacking a song browser game state at present. Bear in mind that my 2D backend is a chore to use (hence the redesign) but if you need any help, drop me a PM at http://gp32x.de.

Extra Note to developers
If you have some time to kill, can you look through my code and criticise it to death? I am focusing where the bottlenecks are in the back-end causing the FPS to be so low (note that it is frame capped at present) so if you find something, I will be very grateful.

Finally, if I have missed anything in terms of the LGPL etc, let me know, I will rectify it as soon as I can.
243nceh.png

Download
http://yaustar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yausta...nce2x_Alpha.zip[/CUT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to work on it, but I managed to completely screw up my dev environment while trying to update it to get extraterrestres to work on fw 2.0. So now I can't even compile the sdl test app (it doesn't give me errors, but it only shows a black screen on the gp2x). I downloaded the official dev setup for windows and that give me the same problem. Damn.

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 02:28 PM said:
I would love to work on it, but I managed to completely screw up my dev environment while trying to update it to get extraterrestres to work on fw 2.0. So now I can't even compile the sdl test app (it doesn't give me errors, but it only shows a black screen on the gp2x). I downloaded the official dev setup for windows and that give me the same problem. Damn.
The SDL test app doesn't work for some reason :)

So... this seems pretty cool, but does it have a lot of stepmania code to support USB pads?

Also, did beat2x and step2x become dead?

whats with all the ddr colnes? oh well im hooked on em' so good job! (if i knew more about gp2x deving id try to help out but i barely know c so id doubt id be much help)

PSyMastR posted on Aug 9 2006 at 06:06 AM said:
So... this seems pretty cool at but does it have a lot of stepmania code to support USB pads?
Afraid not. Sorry

Goemon4 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 06:12 AM said:
whats with all the ddr colnes? oh well im hooked on em' so good job! (if i knew more about gp2x deving id try to help out but i barely know c so id doubt id be much help)
Yeah, sorry about that. When I proposed the project in Feb, Beat2x and Step2x were not heard of at that point so I wanted to be the first when I started the project in Mid-june :(. So much for that idea :p

Edit: Thanks to the person who fixed the description on the File archive :)

if anyone wants to take this over then I'd love to do the music for it!
(I'm a recording musician, if you didnt know)
:D

The ColdNews posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
if anyone wants to take this over then I'd love to do the music for it!
(I'm a recording musician, if you didnt know)
:D
Mostly high powered eurorave is in these games. Your a DJ?

Back