Status Of Psx4gp2x Work Being Done :)

icurafu said:
Pickle said:
hackgrid said:
Pickle said:
hlide said:
emulazione88 said:
This sounds very exciting. It would be something pretty special to leave the GP2X with a solid, fast running PSX emulator before it is superseded by the new machine.
in fact, what i'm trying to do for gp2x is PROBABLY reusable with few differences on the new machine.

so you are saying the new handheld is dual core.

Well...like the current one?

Well, ~"dual core" ;)

Not really like the current core, I would think the guys designing this know the history of the 2nd core well enough that the new design would "fix" it. Meaning a more enabled 2nd core, more functionlity.

The new machine will have a GPU. So instead of treating the 2nd core as a GPU it will be treating the GPU as a GPU. It may even work faster that way. ;)

You don't mean gp2x-f200, do you? From what I read in specifications, there's no GPU only Video co-processor and it looks like they're using the same MagicEyes Chipset, so no GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
kardasan said:
You don't mean gp2x-f200, do you?
He was referring to craigix's handheld in development. See the stickied thread.

Pickle said:
Exophase said:
kardasan said:

Thats the one i was referring to :D

oh i didn't see this thread ! well it seems things are on the move. And apparently MMSP2+ is not being considered as a candidate, so yes what i'm doing on gp2x may not be reusable... eh guys don't de-motivate me !!!

Don't be de-motivated hlide, most of the GP2Xers dream of a a new release of PSX4GP2X everyday and night, so please give us what we want :)
ps: not rushing or anything, take your time, we all know that this emulator and others are written in the developers free time, and the later a release is, the more polished it can be :)

kevcal said:
The new console may never happen or be as popular as the gp2x -
disagree

hlide said:
oh i didn't see this thread ! well it seems things are on the move. And apparently MMSP2+ is not being considered as a candidate, so yes what i'm doing on gp2x may not be reusable... eh guys don't de-motivate me !!!
Don't worry, it still uses an ARM processor. (ARM Cortex-A8 at who-knows-how-many MHZ).

Indeed 'may' - don't get me wrong - a more powerful handheld would be good in the future and I do hope it is successful..

But the jury's still out and I think it strange that anyone can disagree with my comment.

People's zealous optimism shouldn't dissuade or demotivate people from devving for the gp2x.

EDIT:
Anyway, back on-topic - any tech details on what's planned?

hlide - I'm sure this work will bring lots of joy to us gp2x users for a long time to come :)

Keep up the good work!!

hlide said:
Pickle said:
Exophase said:
kardasan said:

Thats the one i was referring to :D

hlide, don't be demotivated, before this "new" handheld sees light of the day and have a user base large enough to make it interesting and rewarding to develop for it, we will have plenty of time to play with your version of psx4gp2x :) And when I say "plenty of time", I'm thinking about years :lol: Anyway, a working psx emu on gp2x is a real challenge, while a psx emu on a more powerful handheld is certainly less challenging, isnt' it ?

kevcal said:
EDIT:
Anyway, back on-topic - any tech details on what's planned?
1) rewrite large parts of psx4all so it can be more modular and easier to modify and maintain for future products and optimize different parts of dynarec (ALU = Arithmetic and Logical Unit, MSU = Load and Store Unit, BCU = Branch Control Unit and GTE = Geometric Transformation Engine)
2) move if possible the running of dynarec on 940 for gp2x (but I need to make a kernel module for the communication between 920 and 940 if i want to use IRQ and thread dispatch to the right emulated device)

I actually rewrote the ALU dynarec part so it can generate lesser ARM code. Not a big deal but necessary to start.

the LSU dynarec part really needs to be rewritten so it can runs faster when reading/writing in RAM/BIOS or SCRATCHPAD. I don't know how faster it will be, but it is my top priority now.

This sound to be a nice amount of work :)
I'm sure that many people here are waiting your update impatiently.
I wish you good luck on this.

I don't see how the new handheld is going to affect my life much anyway. It'll never run PS2/XBox/DS games, so how will it be any better than the GP2X? It looks like eventually PSX4GP2X will be full speed and then, well, no more handhelds needed for me!
How did that wiki for individual game performances work out anyway?

Please keep a single-core tree active. There are other arm-based handhelds that could benefit from psx4all.

PCSX runs at 0.7-1.8 fps on the Nokia 770 (224mhz arm926ej-s core). I would be happy to assist with a port to the Nokia 770 / N800. I am hoping for an A8 / OMAP 3430 Nokia tablet by mid-2008. If it has OpenGL 2.0 ES, full framerate should be very doable.

Cheers

Back