Starting From The Top, Again

dmVII

Still Fresh
Hi, i'd like to start with explaining how i first got my GP2X around a month after it was first launched, back then i set it all up sweet and had a few drdmx roms running and i was happy. So shortly after my GP2X was borrowed for a while and now, i've only just got it back and so im running a very old firmware and have no idea of the grand developments from then untill now, so here is my plea for help.

I know i'll need to upgrade the firmware which im fine with doing myself, but i have a question of can i go from the very old one to the newest, or will i need a few upgrades in between?

Next is a random call for help on anybody filling me in on what to install on my 1GB SD to play a bunch of ROMs (im not asking for roms, just a pointer to the good emulators) and any other nice upgrades since my last venture into GP2X

Can anybody point me to a helpful article on how to set up my GP2X to get the best out of it? maybe so links to good software and emulators? Does the PDF viewer work? Does the PS1 emulator work? Is the snes upto full speed?

Any help and info apreciated, thanks!

dmVII posted on Feb 8 2007 at 08:04 PM said:
Hi, i'd like to start with explaining how i first got my GP2X around a month after it was first launched, back then i set it all up sweet and had a few drdmx roms running and i was happy. So shortly after my GP2X was borrowed for a while and now, i've only just got it back and so im running a very old firmware and have no idea of the grand developments from then untill now, so here is my plea for help.

I know i'll need to upgrade the firmware which im fine with doing myself, but i have a question of can i go from the very old one to the newest, or will i need a few upgrades in between?

Next is a random call for help on anybody filling me in on what to install on my 1GB SD to play a bunch of ROMs (im not asking for roms, just a pointer to the good emulators) and any other nice upgrades since my last venture into GP2X

Can anybody point me to a helpful article on how to set up my GP2X to get the best out of it? maybe so links to good software and emulators? Does the PDF viewer work? Does the PS1 emulator work? Is the snes upto full speed?

Any help and info apreciated, thanks!

Can I go from the very old one to the newest, or will I need a few upgrades in between?
Just get the latest one, it has all the updates from the earlier ones.

Next is a random call for help on anybody filling me in on what to install on my 1GB SD to play a bunch of ROMs
Well, Notaz' latest PicoDrive has Sega CD support (still in beta, but many titles run full speed with sound), and there's Reesy's 'merged' SNES emu which is stunning (full speed WITH transparencies and sound) ... GneoGeo, STELLA (Atari 2600) ... really, there's too much to choose from .. just peruse the archive.

Do a search in these forums. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Next is a random call for help on anybody filling me in on what to install on my 1GB SD to play a bunch of ROMs

emus:
cps2 test 8 is
gngeo2x
pocket snes
picodrive
mame2x

games(homebrew):
extender
mini-game project
grow
blingo (my review)
downfall (my review)
noiz
spout
tilematch
vektar

skins (put in NAND>skins):
carbon (my review)

hope this helps,
enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest changes emulation wise in the last month or so are cps2emu, PocketSnes and PicoDrive. They are all incredible. Why?

cps2emu (great with JyCet's Capex front end) is a new emu whiich gives great emulation of CPS2 capcom games. It runs very fast, with sound, hardware or software scaling, game saves, high score saving. You name it!

PocketSNES because now we have have good speed with transparencies and great interface. Many games work really well now that didn't before. No one seems to be whinging about the state of SNES emulation on the boards anymore. Incredible!

PicoDrive now supports early Mega/SegaCD emulation. It utilises the second CPU for the sound to keep the first CPU for other processing. Not many apps utilise the second CPU so it's all the more impressive. Sonic CD and Snatcher work really well. Many other games work to varying degrees, but it's still early days.

To answer the question about the pdf viewer -

Yes, it works. But it's slow. And when I say slow, I mean that with the one pdf I tried (admittedly a fairly graphically intense one) I was able to go to the toilet, pick up the day's post, put the kettle on and get back before one page had been rendered. Admittedly, that could be because I'm incredibly fast at all those things, but unfortunately it's not.

I think the pdf viewer was really just done as a proof of concept for someone else to come along and turn into a completed application, but nobody has. Which is unfortunate because a usable pdf viewer would be great.

Note: the performance may be much improved on simple pdfs, and I haven't tried overclocking to see if that helps things along.

Back