Argh -- Please Help This Is Driving Me Potty!

gam35guru

Still Fresh
Im looking for advice on how to and where to get roms to play on the emulators supplied on several of the gp2x related sites. For example I wanna use MAME or squidgesnes 0.37a, maybe even the megadrive/mastersystem emulator -- thats all fine n dandy, I can start those on me GP2X --- but where the hell do I get the games? Hahahaha. Everyone is wittering on about here is the emulators have fun, but I cant find the source for the games to use in conjunction with the emulators advertised.

Please, Im in desperate need and Im a GP2X fan and newbie. What a combination =)

Anything you can do to help me would be deeply appreicated, Im losing my mind trying to find these damn games and to get them working. I found a game from romworld.com for MAME -- but when I put the game in the roms folder insider the MAME folder which is on my SD card which is in my GP2X. It keeps saying Error: no games found. BUT IT'S RIGHT THERE!

On my gp2x sd card my folder for my MAME emulator is:

Games/MAME/

And my roms folder is:

Games/MAME/roms

I assume this is right, and each game in the roms folder has its own folder too. So for the practice game lets say 1946 or w/e, it'd be :

Games/MAME/roms/1946/

Why aint this working, why cant it find my games? And where do I download the appropriate roms for squidgesnes.... Im also looking for the roms compatible to gp2x for sonic/mario/anything like that. Of course I'll use each in conjunction with the applicable emulator.

Many Thanks Guys.
A n00b....

gamesguru posted on Oct 31 2006 at 10:39 AM said:
Im looking for advice on how to and where to get roms to play on the emulators supplied on several of the gp2x related sites. For example I wanna use MAME or squidgesnes 0.37a, maybe even the megadrive/mastersystem emulator -- thats all fine n dandy, I can start those on me GP2X --- but where the hell do I get the games? Hahahaha. Everyone is wittering on about here is the emulators have fun, but I cant find the source for the games to use in conjunction with the emulators advertised.

Please, Im in desperate need and Im a GP2X fan and newbie. What a combination =)

Anything you can do to help me would be deeply appreicated, Im losing my mind trying to find these damn games and to get them working. I found a game from romworld.com for MAME -- but when I put the game in the roms folder insider the MAME folder which is on my SD card which is in my GP2X. It keeps saying Error: no games found. BUT IT'S RIGHT THERE!

On my gp2x sd card my folder for my MAME emulator is:

Games/MAME/

And my roms folder is:

Games/MAME/roms

I assume this is right, and each game in the roms folder has its own folder too. So for the practice game lets say 1946 or w/e, it'd be :

Games/MAME/roms/1946/

Why aint this working, why cant it find my games? And where do I download the appropriate roms for squidgesnes.... Im also looking for the roms compatible to gp2x for sonic/mario/anything like that. Of course I'll use each in conjunction with the applicable emulator.

Many Thanks Guys.
A n00b....

The way mine is set up is under /mnt/sd/mame/roms are just a massive amount of .ZIP files... one for each ROM. I don't have any sub-folders and all of the ROMs are kept in their ZIP files (as they must be). Try just dropping your files under /ROMS and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gamesguru (strange name for asking those questions ;) )

1- Don't ask for Roms on a Forum. It's one of the rules
2- Don't ask for Roms if you know where to find it.
3- Don't ask for Roms if you can't provide an online proof that you legally own the game for this platform.
4- Use the "Search" function (top right of the site)... VERY USEFULL !
5- Read the "readme" (text file wich come with the emulators package) for each emu
6- Each emu has a way to be set up, some of it need to have a special rom folder, and with some others you just have to point on the rom file you wish to load.

Have fun with setting up the beast (funniest part...)

gamesguru posted on Oct 31 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Im looking for advice on how to and where to get roms to play on the emulators supplied on several of the gp2x related sites. For example I want to use MAME or squidgesnes 0.37a, maybe even the megadrive/mastersystem emulator -- thats all fine n dandy, I can start those on me GP2X --- but where the hell do I get the games? Hahahaha. Everyone is wittering on about here is the emulators have fun, but I cant find the source for the games to use in conjunction with the emulators advertised.
Obtaining roms for emulators is technically illegal, however very few people will complain if you own the games you are downloading.

Because of this, we are not allowed to post links or urls for rom sites (and it would be wise to remove the name of the site you found your rom on)
However, I imagine a little googling for "roms" will have you on your way.

Also if you are having trouble with the emulators, I suggest you refer to the README file, as they usually contain detailed instructions about where to place your roms.

As for MAME, you specifically need roms from the 0.34 romset. Other ones may work, or may not.

Overall, I suggest you read up a lot more on emulation in general. "The Google" (thanks George Bush) is your friend.

gaterooze posted on Oct 31 2006 at 02:36 PM said:
As for MAME, you specifically need roms from the 0.34 romset. Other ones may work, or may not.

Overall, I suggest you read up a lot more on emulation in general. "The Google" (thanks George Bush) is your friend.

don't thank George Bush, thank Al Gore for creating the internet :rolleyes:

BobBorakovitz posted on Oct 31 2006 at 02:03 PM said:

We all know who lost that battle, the people who counted the ballots by hand!!!!!!!! Still cringes at the thought of it. . . . .

Easiest 1 is pico drive, just put the ROMs in the same DIR as the emulator, they can be either zipped or in .BIN format :)

As for the other 1s, read the read me, or go to the settings.

MAME is a little tricky since you have to convert the ROMs , or the easiest way is to find a site with the appropriate romset (0.34)

BobBorakovitz posted on Oct 31 2006 at 08:03 PM said:

And thank Ted Stevens for reassuring us that the internet is not a dump truck, but a series of tubes.

Back