Please Help Me Newbie In Need?

wolforrest

Still Fresh
I would be so grateful of any help as im a newbie and rather stuck! I have purchased a gp2x f200 with firmware 4.0. I know alot of you will say to upgrade to a higher firmawre but i can only find ones that have comments underneath saying that it ruins their gp2x in some way or another. Also i purchased this as i love old school games like final fight and double dragon. I have downloaded mame4all and put it onto my sd card but i cannot find the roms anywhere to put into the roms folder! All there seems to be is a directory of game names which you cannot do anything with. I would be so grateful if anyone could help thanks in advance.

wolforrest said:
I would be so grateful of any help as im a newbie and rather stuck! I have purchased a gp2x f200 with firmware 4.0. I know alot of you will say to upgrade to a higher firmawre but i can only find ones that have comments underneath saying that it ruins their gp2x in some way or another. Also i purchased this as i love old school games like final fight and double dragon. I have downloaded mame4all and put it onto my sd card but i cannot find the roms anywhere to put into the roms folder! All there seems to be is a directory of game names which you cannot do anything with. I would be so grateful if anyone could help thanks in advance.
OK, one question at a time:

Stick with firmware 4.0.0. There were later firmware upgrades, but there are several reports that they broke touchscreen support with homebrew games. Later firmwares apparently don't make anything run faster.

As for roms for MAME, each game has a separate ROM file that contains the game information. They don't come with MAME because that wouldn't be legal. That being said there are multiple sources for them on the internet. Google should be a good place to start. A warning though... the roms are versioned and tied to specific versions of MAME. MAME4ALL uses a rather old version of MAME, so you're looking for roms around version 0.40 or so, which means that many games newer than 1987 or so won't work well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back